Maplin RIP

Old March 4th 18, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

Default Maplin RIP

On 02/03/2018 07:19, Tweed wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

I find it interesting that Aldi are always compared first in the UK
when IME experience there seem to be many more Lidl stores than Aldi

Round here, Aldi built more stores first, Lidl were in lower key
locations, though they have built more recently.

and in most cases again IME Lidl is a nicer place to shop.

I used to buy Lidl Tronic batteries, but the last ones they had on sale
were essentially fraudulent, presumably they'll skimp on other products
too ...

Lidl have “over 600” stores in the UK, Aldi “over 700” (2017 articles).
Both are expanding like mad at the moment.

this will be their downfall, they will become to big to be called
discount stores.
Old March 4th 18, 07:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

I find it interesting that Aldi are always compared first in the UK
when IME experience there seem to be many more Lidl stores than Aldi

Round here, Aldi built more stores first, Lidl were in lower key
locations, though they have built more recently.

and in most cases again IME Lidl is a nicer place to shop.

I used to buy Lidl Tronic batteries, but the last ones they had on sale
were essentially fraudulent, presumably they'll skimp on other products
too ...

Lidl have “over 600” stores in the UK, Aldi “over 700” (2017 articles).
Both are expanding like mad at the moment.

this will be their downfall, they will become to big to be called
discount stores.

There are over 4100 Aldi (Süd and Nord) stores in Germany. Even allowing
for Germany’s larger population, the UK expansion has a way to go to match
this. I don’t quite follow how being big precludes being called a discount
store, unless you mean it redefines the baseline cost of food in the
public’s mind.

Old March 5th 18, 08:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 20:49:58 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Lidl have over 600 stores in the UK, Aldi over 700 (2017 articles).
Both are expanding like mad at the moment.

this will be their downfall, they will become to big to be called
discount stores.

There are over 4100 Aldi (Sd and Nord) stores in Germany. Even allowing
for Germanys larger population, the UK expansion has a way to go to match
this. I dont quite follow how being big precludes being called a discount
store, unless you mean it redefines the baseline cost of food in the
publics mind.

I don't anticipate the downfall of the German supermarkets any time
soon, unless they're foolish enough to copy the practices of the
British ones. Customers holding up the queue by packing their bags at
the checkouts would be one such practice; once you've done it the
German way you wonder why everybody doesn't. Another would be
self-service checkouts that require human intervention for every
fourth or fifth item from a single operator who has to run about like
a headless chicken trying to service half a dozen of them. I think
it's unlikely Aldi or Lidl will do either of these things, or sell
expensive brands when cheap ones are available; they know what brings
the money in.

Old March 5th 18, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

[...]

In Germany there are two Lidl companies. I don't know which one runs the
UK
Lidls.

Britain and Ireland is Aldi Sud, so the other lot to you in the Netherlands.

We are also one of the few places where credit cards are taken, apparently.

I remember M&S didn't take them for years but changed in the 90s. Prior to
that they only took the storecard or cheques.

Asda used to require you to have cheques pre-cleared at a desk in the store
which was a right pain - I can't remember why/how as I was quite young but
remember my Mum moaning about it!

Anyone remember Carrefour in the UK? We had an enormous one in Caerphilly -
chosen because of short trip from Newport Cardiff and Pontypridd, and less
than an hour from Swansea Bristol Bath and Gloucester.

James

Old March 5th 18, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news
Asda used to require you to have cheques pre-cleared at a desk in the
store which was a right pain - I can't remember why/how as I was quite
young but remember my Mum moaning about it!

What did pre-clearing entail: did they have to ring up your bank and say
"This is Asda, Leeds branch. I've got a customer with account number 123456.
Can you confirm that they have money in their account"? I wonder how many
banks told them to sod off on the grounds of customer confidentiality.

The ultimate shopper-unfriendly shop was Foyles bookshop in London where it
was one big shop but you had to pay for each book in the department that it
came from (so you had to queue up several times) rather than being able to
pay for all the books in one transaction at one till. With an attitude like
that, they didn't deserve to have any customers.

Old March 5th 18, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 18:00:44 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:39:29 -0000, "James Heaton"
wrote:

. ..

Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

[...]

Correct googling Lidl Nord produced
Lidl
Discounter
550,0 m · Boerhaaveplein 1-11 · 020 709 5039
Open · Closes 8PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Lidl
Supermarkt · Leiden Kopermolen
2,3 km · Standerdmolen 1-17 · 020 709 5039
Open · Closes 8PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Lidl
Discounter
4,5 km · Vijf Meiplein 15 · 020 709 5039
Open · Closes 8PM

None are the nearest one to us. Interesting thatthrey have two categories
discounter andsupermarkets.

Two brothers own Lidl. They split the company. One owns Nord and the other sud.

Is there some confusion here?

It is Aldi that was founded by the brothers Karl Albrecht
Theo Albrecht who then split it between them into Aldi Süd and Aldi
Nord.

Lidl is a competitor of Aldi and is owned by Dieter Schwarz.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 5th 18, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 05/03/2018 17:49, NY wrote:
"James Heaton" wrote in message
news
Asda used to require you to have cheques pre-cleared at a desk in the
store which was a right pain - I can't remember why/how as I was quite
young but remember my Mum moaning about it!

What did pre-clearing entail: did they have to ring up your bank and say
"This is Asda, Leeds branch. I've got a customer with account number
123456. Can you confirm that they have money in their account"? I wonder
how many banks told them to sod off on the grounds of customer
confidentiality.

Why didn't they just rely on cheque guarantee cards - which guaranteed
up to £50 before they were abolished - enough for most big shoppings at
the time? (I seem to remember M&S allowing up to £100 on cheque
guarantee cards - they must have had extra insurance - or accepted
occasional losses.)

The ultimate shopper-unfriendly shop was Foyles bookshop in London where
it was one big shop but you had to pay for each book in the department
that it came from (so you had to queue up several times) rather than
being able to pay for all the books in one transaction at one till. With
an attitude like that, they didn't deserve to have any customers.

That's not how I remember it. Each department issued a chit and kept the
books. You queued up at a single cashier's kiosk in the middle of the
ground floor to pay, then had to return with the paid receipt(s) to the
department(s) to pick up the book(s).

--
Max Demian
Old March 5th 18, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marland

Anyone remember Carrefour in the UK? We had an enormous one in Caerphilly -

That was the first In the UK I believe
We had one on the outskirts of Eastleigh/Southampton .
It’s presence kick started some more businesses around it one being B and Q
whose headquarters is opposite, they had started not too far away in a
Southampton suburb.
Asda took over the store when Carrefour pulled out,did they take over the
others?

GH

Old March 5th 18, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 05/03/2018 17:49, NY wrote:
[...]

I honestly can't remember, I was only young when my parents got cards!

Half hoping someone else might remember this.

Recall that Dad would start off with the trolley, Mum would queue up at this
desk, who did something with the cheque, then we would catch Dad up. Mum
would then complain about the quality of the veg he'd selected. Why they
didn't start off the other way round I never fathomed!

The Tesco near us opened when I was 7 I think, we changed to there.
Although they had an oddity - if paying by cheque you had to make it out for
full pounds only, and they would give you shrapnel change for the
difference.

James