Maplin RIP

Old March 2nd 18, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default Maplin RIP

On 02/03/2018 10:46, NY wrote:

I suppose it will get to the stage that post offices gradually lose their
non-mail functions which get taken over by petrol stations etc.

The mail functions may be under threat in urban areas. I have received
a couple of letters with a "Velopost" stamp, which didn't arrive with
the normal mail. I didn't see them arrive, but I assume that they were
delivered by someone on a bicycle.

Old March 2nd 18, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/03/2018 09:57, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Our local post office has moved twice to the backs of shops like this,
a distance of about 100 yards each time. Its original building, where
it used to be just a post office, is still there, but for a number of
years it has been occupied by a wine bar called "Stamps".

Rod.

My former local Post Office is now a charity shop. The post office
functions (but not the original staff) are now at the back of the local
McColls.

Old March 2nd 18, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
I used to buy Lidl Tronic batteries, but the last ones they had on sale
were essentially fraudulent, presumably they'll skimp on other products
too ...

They didn't skimp on the AA rechargeable batteries - they were oversize!

A very common problem with AA (and AAA) rechargeables, you find they
stick fast in tubular holders and pop out of others because their
diameter is just a bit too big.

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 2nd 18, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 02/03/18 11:56, Martin wrote:
I don't know. I used the local town hall for that. Local town hall also does
passports, ID cards and marriage birth, death certificates and driving licences.
UK should copy.

UK government policy is that public sector services should be
privatised, so moving them closer to the public sector is just not going
to happen!
Old March 2nd 18, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/03/2018 12:04, Martin wrote:

Aldi in Leiden is not in a scruffy place, BUT they stock very few items and what
they do stock is mainly crap. UK Aldi is far better than Dutch Aldi. Leiden Aldi
resembles an Eastern European supermarket in the 1960s.

Do they sell jars by any chance?

--
Max Demian
Old March 2nd 18, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 02/03/2018 in message
Martin wrote:

There are something like 300,000 privately owned boast in NL

I expect that when you finish building the Netherlands many of those boat
owners may buy cars or cycles :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
Old March 2nd 18, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 01/03/2018 17:13, NY wrote:

What about post-related things like weighing large letters and parcels
so you can determine the correct postage to pay? Is that left to the
honesty of the punter and the assumptions that he will have enough
stamps to make up the postage required? Or even receiving parcels that
you want to post but which are too large to fit in a post box.

I find it annoying (and intrusive) the way UK post offices have to ask
you the contents of the parcel you are sending nowadays. Why can't they
just point to a list of prohibited items? They can't check what is in
the parcel in any case.

--
Max Demian
Old March 2nd 18, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Friday, 2 March 2018 14:34:27 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
I find it annoying (and intrusive) the way UK post offices have to ask
you the contents of the parcel you are sending nowadays. Why can't they
just point to a list of prohibited items? They can't check what is in
the parcel in any case.

It's not just prohibited items, they want to make sure you have no claim against them when they drop your valuable Ming vase because you didn't tell them it was valuable and pay extra.

Owain

Old March 4th 18, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

tim... wrote:

It seems that most orders for white goods are now dropped-shipped from some
central warehouse regardless of where you buy them - online or at a store.

When my freezer went on the blink, I ordered one from Curry's,
whose headline offer was "Free Next day delivery". Shame I didn't
see the small print.

When it was eventually in stock, they gave me a delivery slot
several days later. When I asked why, now they had it, I couldn't
now have it "Next day", they couldn't manage anything more
enlightening than "That's not how it works".

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old March 4th 18, 10:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 01/03/2018 21:45, tim... wrote:

It seems that most orders for white goods are now dropped-shipped from some
central warehouse regardless of where you buy them - online or at a store.

If it's out of stock via one retailer, it will be out of stock at all of
them

That is not entirely true. There is a local family run independent
white goods supplier near me. I have used them a couple of times for a
dishwasher and a washing machine because they are competitively priced
and they will deliver at a time and date to suit the customer.

A couple of years ago an elderly neighbour phoned me to say her TV had
just gone off. I went over to have a look and discovered that the
breaker for the ground floor ring main had tripped, and if I tried to
turn it back on it tripped again instantly. So I went round all the
sockets and switched them all off and reset the trip, then went round
one by one turning them back on and it tripped again when I switched the
fridge freezer back on. Exploring further, the fridge was OK and it was
the freezer which was faulty. It was also completely full of frozen food.

So I phoned the local independent and asked if they had a fridge freezer
that could be delivered that day, specifying 4 freezer drawers to match
the current one. An hour later their lorry arrived outside and they
wheeled in a big fridge freezer, which wouldn't go through the door from
the passage to the kitchen. The delivery man measured the doorway and
then the box he was trying to deliver and concluded that even if he took
it out of the box it would still be a bit too big to go through the
doorway. He phoned back to the shop and chatted for a while then asked
if we would mind an unused but unpacked display model that would go
through the door. I said that would be OK and he drove off with the
freezer he had arrived with. 45 minutes later he was back with a
different fridge freezer which had a freezer of similar size but the
fridge unit a bit smaller. He helped me move the old fridge freezer to
one side so the new one could go in its place. Then he helped me
transfer everything from old to new one and for an extra 15 he would
take the old one away. The elderly neighbour wrote him a cheque for the
new unit and disposal of the old one, and he loaded the old one on his
lorry, then advised me to leave the new one switched off for an hour for
the coolant to settle after being moved around, and he drove off.

3 hours from original phone call to a working new fridge freezer,
including one unsuccessful attempted delivery mid-way. You don't get
that sort of service from any of the usual suppliers!