Maplin RIP

Old March 1st 18, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default Maplin RIP

Brian Gaff wrote:

Tandy on line still exists.

There's no "still" about it.

The tandyonline.com website is run by a UK company previously called
ADSL Nation, that renamed itself to Tandy Corporation Limited, there's
no connection back to the old UK or US Tandy or RadioShack
Old March 1st 18, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 01/03/2018 15:02, Woody wrote:
"MR" wrote in message
First Tandy/Radio Shack, and now Maplin. Who next? Currys/PC
world.

...if we are lucky!

I went to Currys to by a fridge. There were about thirty on display.
None of the three I was prepared to buy was in stock, or could even
be ordered.

I thought you were a JLP customer? They have them in stock or next day
delivery - like AO in most cases.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 1st 18, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"MR" wrote in message
First Tandy/Radio Shack, and now Maplin. Who next? Currys/PC world.

MR

I would have thought 'Radiospares' would be struggling with their high
prices.

Old March 1st 18, 05:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

"MR" wrote in message
First Tandy/Radio Shack, and now Maplin. Who next? Currys/PC world.

...if we are lucky!

I went to Currys to by a fridge. There were about thirty on display.
None of the three I was prepared to buy was in stock, or could even be
ordered.

Bill

CPW were crap - six attempts to buy a cheap spare phone for emergencies foiled several years ago.

Five years ago we decided to replace our 30yo fridge freezer. I identified one at Currys, bought the one in the shop and while I was there noticed a trade in deal on dishwashers, so ordered a new one of those as well.

They delivered soon enough, but on arrival they unboxed the dishwasher to reveal the top had been smashed off, this was put back on the van. The fridge freezer made it into out flat, but one rear wheel was now missing, the other trashed and there was a big tyre mark on the door. I offered to let them repair the damage, but they chose to replace. This arrived a fortnight later. This time I inspected it on the tail lift, revealing a hole in the back made by fork lift tines you could put your hand in. There was then a lot of shennanigans about getting a replacement, but finally one turned up. About £2k of stock wrecked by their in house "knowhow" delivery service.

Two years ago the dual ring on our cooker stopped working, and unable to dismantle it enough to replace it myself (the old ones were easy) and expensive to get done, we decided to get an new AEG one after viewing it at Currys.. Currys would not then let me order it on the phone, did not have the £100 cash back of other retailers, would not deliver to the third floor and given their previous shambolic delivery efforts we ordered from John Lewis - no problems at all and actually cost less than our fourteen year old Creda!
Old March 1st 18, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"MR" wrote in message
[...]

#################################

JLP/Waitrose take some beating. Most people seem to think Waitrose
expensive but they are no more than any other grown-up supermarket and
cheaper most of the time tham M&S, and their quality leaves the rest
standing IMO.

Old March 1st 18, 08:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 20:10:19 UTC, Woody wrote:
... Most people seem to think Waitrose expensive

It's not so much they're expensive; they just tend to sell expensive things.. Like my local Co-op. Their fair trade organic olive oil hand stretched pizze are probably very competitively priced as far as fair trade organic olive oil hand stretched pizze go, but they can't compete with Aldi Value on price.

Owain

Old March 1st 18, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
On 01/03/18 15:04, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 04:58:38 -0800 (PST), MR
wrote:

First Tandy/Radio Shack, and now Maplin. Who next? Currys/PC world.

Some are saying WHS other than station branches.

That'll mean quite a few Post Offices disappearing too if correct.

I can't remember where it was but somewhere that I visited had a PO move
into a stationary store

the store closed down and was emptied of stock and the PO counter was still
open at the back

Tim

Old March 1st 18, 08:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

news

"MR" wrote in message
First Tandy/Radio Shack, and now Maplin. Who next? Currys/PC world.

...if we are lucky!

I went to Currys to by a fridge. There were about thirty on display. None
of the three I was prepared to buy was in stock, or could even be
ordered.

I thought you were a JLP customer? They have them in stock or next day
delivery - like AO in most cases.

No they don't

It seems that most orders for white goods are now dropped-shipped from some
central warehouse regardless of where you buy them - online or at a store.

If it's out of stock via one retailer, it will be out of stock at all of
them

BTDTGTTS

tim

Old March 1st 18, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

news

"MR" wrote in message
[...]

for branded goods perhaps

but for generic and own brand they are very much more expensive

I can't believe the prices when I walk in there

tim

Old March 1st 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"tim..." wrote in message
news

news

"MR" wrote in message
First Tandy/Radio Shack, and now Maplin. Who next? Currys/PC
world.

...if we are lucky!

I went to Currys to by a fridge. There were about thirty on
display. None of the three I was prepared to buy was in stock, or
could even be ordered.

I thought you were a JLP customer? They have them in stock or next
day delivery - like AO in most cases.

No they don't

It seems that most orders for white goods are now dropped-shipped
from some central warehouse regardless of where you buy them -
online or at a store.

If it's out of stock via one retailer, it will be out of stock at
all of them

BTDTGTTS

Strange then that when we ordered a new dishwasher recently it came
next day from the JLP warehouse in Manchester?