Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Update today - ITV3 (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36557)

Jeff Layman[_2_] February 28th 18 07:32 PM

Update today - ITV3

According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean? Is it likely that
other stations will follow?

--

Jeff

R. Mark Clayton[_2_] February 28th 18 07:34 PM

Update today - ITV3

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 20:32:40 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean? Is it likely that
other stations will follow?

--

Jeff

Probably a higher bit rate, not HD rather than SD, but will check tomorrow.

Andy Burns[_12_] February 28th 18 08:46 PM

Update today - ITV3

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."
Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean?

Probably a higher bit rate, not HD rather than SD

720x576 instead of 544x576

NY February 28th 18 09:43 PM

Update today - ITV3

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean? Is it likely that other
stations will follow?

ITV3 (like Drama, Yesterday, Talking Pictures TV etc) is one of those
channels that broadcasts in sub-SD: 544x576 rather than 720x576 (ie 3/4 of
the normal horizontal resolution, rounded to the nearest 16-pixel boundary).

So maybe 788 is 720x576.

Yes, I've just run TSReader (Windows program) via my DVB-T decoder on mux
PSB2 and sure enough, 788 (ITV3) is 720x576. Looks as if LCN 10 is still on
mux COM4. I presume at some stage it will be switched off and the one on
PSB2 will become LCN 10.

NY March 1st 18 11:44 AM

Update today - ITV3

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean? Is it likely that other
stations will follow?

ITV3 (like Drama, Yesterday, Talking Pictures TV etc) is one of those
channels that broadcasts in sub-SD: 544x576 rather than 720x576 (ie 3/4 of
the normal horizontal resolution, rounded to the nearest 16-pixel
boundary).

So maybe 788 is 720x576.

Yes, I've just run TSReader (Windows program) via my DVB-T decoder on mux
PSB2 and sure enough, 788 (ITV3) is 720x576. Looks as if LCN 10 is still
on mux COM4. I presume at some stage it will be switched off and the one
on PSB2 will become LCN 10.

On further analysis, the differences a

- 720x576 as opposed to 544x576 video
- Programme sound is 192 kbps rather than 128 kbps
- 720 version has a second audio description sound channel which the 544
version doesn't
- Video bit rate 2.03 Mbps as opposed to 1.72 Mbps
- File sizes (for identical 23m 17s clips) 393 MB as opposed to 319 MB

Theoretically, the 720 version should be 4/3 the file size of the 544
version because of the greater horizontal resolution, *assuming the same
amount of compression*. In fact the 720 version is only 1.23 instead of the
theoretical 1.33 times the size of the 544, so it looks as if the 720 is
compressed a bit more.

Here are identical stills, all scaled to a theoretical 16:9 display size of
1024x576:

https://s10.postimg.org/sw5x8i67d/ITV3_544_-_1.png
https://s10.postimg.org/w30gs562x/ITV3_544_-_2.png
https://s10.postimg.org/z9v0bry8p/ITV3_720_-_1.png
https://s10.postimg.org/aglgb3zsp/ITV3_720_-_2.png

Mark Carver[_2_] March 1st 18 11:49 AM

Update today - ITV3

On 28/02/2018 21:46, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."
Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean?

Probably a higher bit rate, not HD rather than SD

720x576 instead of 544x576

And now on PSB2 (so available to all) rather than the version on COM 4
(only available to 90% of punters)

--
Mark

NY March 1st 18 12:05 PM

Update today - ITV3

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

According to A516digital, the update today was:
"Channel 788 - ITV3 (PSB2/D3&4) Duplicate of service on channel 10, but
with increased resolution."
Sorry for the ignorance, but what does this mean?

Probably a higher bit rate, not HD rather than SD

720x576 instead of 544x576

And now on PSB2 (so available to all) rather than the version on COM 4
(only available to 90% of punters)

Good point. I'd forgotten that COM 4,5,6 are only on main transmitters and a
few key relays, whereas PSB 1,2,3 are on all transmitters, even the Freeview
Lite ones. I'm lucky that I'm on Bilsdale so I get everything, including COM
7 and 8.