Sudden expenditure

Old February 25th 18, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Sudden expenditure

I was annoyed about C4HD coming off Freesat because we like to watch 24
Hours in A & E and thought we wouldn't be able to see the gore so
clearly in SD. Ages ago Swiss Classic on 13E went onto DVB S2 so my
twenty quid box wouldn't relay it into the CCTV distribution anymore.
I've decided to kill two or more birds. The Humax Freesat box will be
connected to the 13E feed and set to 'Non-Freesat'. This will give me
Swiss Classic and also let me look at the other channels, which are
often of interest. The box will remain as a depository for the
programmes I want to keep.I have bought a Humax 1TB DVB T2 box and will
use it for day-to-day recording in place of the Freesat box. Both boxes
will feed by HDMI into the main TV.
Having spent my pension of the new box I was annoyed when the vacuum
cleaner started sounding like an old tractor and emitting the magic
smoke. It's under guarantee so I contacted Vax, but really we need a
second one for upstairs. I noticed that AO will know £100 off if you buy
two Meile appliances at once. As it happens the kitchen fridge is
buggered, so it looks like I'll be getting a fridge and a vac.
Since I'm incapacitated at the moment I can't get to the washing
machines and it appears that one of my slaves has put something in one
of them that's stalled a pump. I'm getting the man out but the machine
is really old so I think it might need a new one.
Bit of an expensive few days really.

Old February 25th 18, 05:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
[...]

You won't go far wrong with a Miele Bill, we have friends in Germany
that have one still going strong after 30+ years! We are on our second
plus a Miele F/F and dishwasher and all work superbly well. The only
complaint of the current dishwasker is that it doesn't have a rinse
prog (9mins) like the other did so the shortest wash is now about 80
mins.

Since John Lewis also do Miele it might be worth asking if they will
do an undersale. They often have offers of longer warranties and/or
cashback that no other retailers get.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 25th 18, 07:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

[...]

Sorry to hear you're not well, did wonder what you meant in that other
thread.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

James

Old February 26th 18, 03:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25/02/2018 20:44, James Heaton wrote:

Sorry to hear you're not well, did wonder what you meant in that other
thread.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thank you. The fact is, they found a very high grade cancer so I've had
a major operation. It's 50/50 whether it's worked completely. The
operation has left me greatly weakened, with poor mobility, and hardly
able to eat.

Old February 26th 18, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

Thank you. The fact is, they found a very high grade cancer so I've had
a major operation. It's 50/50 whether it's worked completely. The
operation has left me greatly weakened, with poor mobility, and hardly
able to eat.

Sorry to hear that! Hope things improve steadily from now on.

Old February 26th 18, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm convinced that everything happens close together these days. You go for
ages breezing along and then the bottom falls out of the world or so it
seems. Thus planning your week even your day is almost pointless.

Incapacitated?
Dare I ask how?

Old February 26th 18, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 25/02/2018 18:18, Woody wrote:
You won't go far wrong with a Miele Bill, we have friends in Germany
that have one still going strong after 30+ years!

But how much will you spend on bags over that period ?.
Miele 'hoover' bags are not cheap.
Old February 26th 18, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 25/02/2018 18:18, Woody wrote:
You won't go far wrong with a Miele Bill, we have friends in Germany
that have one still going strong after 30+ years!

But how much will you spend on bags over that period ?. Miele 'hoover'
bags are not cheap.

CPC (and presumably others) also sell bags that fit them. But I don't know
if there is a significant difference in practical quality/suitability.

Personally, I'm very happy with the Miele cleaner we got a few years ago.
If only because it is so much quieter than any previous cleaner. Seems to
do the job fine.