Sudden expenditure

Old February 26th 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default Sudden expenditure

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:29:59 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf

Bill Wright wrote:

Thank you. The fact is, they found a very high grade cancer so I've had
a major operation. It's 50/50 whether it's worked completely. The
operation has left me greatly weakened, with poor mobility, and hardly
able to eat.

Sorry to hear that! Hope things improve steadily from now on.

Jim

Ditto, from me.

Peter

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old February 26th 18, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/02/2018 20:44, James Heaton wrote:

Sorry to hear you're not well, did wonder what you meant in that
other thread.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thank you. The fact is, they found a very high grade cancer so I've
had a major operation. It's 50/50 whether it's worked completely. The
operation has left me greatly weakened, with poor mobility, and hardly
able to eat.

Bill

I read you a lot Bill, but don't think that I have ever replied to you.
All of my hopes.

Old February 26th 18, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 25/02/2018 20:44, James Heaton wrote:

Sorry to hear you're not well, did wonder what you meant in that other
thread.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thank you. The fact is, they found a very high grade cancer so I've had a
major operation. It's 50/50 whether it's worked completely. The operation
has left me greatly weakened, with poor mobility, and hardly able to eat.

Really sorry to hear that. You are always an interesting read, even if we
don't always agree!

I hope they have got the little bugger, and that your strength comes back.

BTW you aren't Stephen Fry nymshifting are you?!

James

Old February 26th 18, 09:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/02/2018 18:09, James Heaton wrote:

BTW you aren't Stephen Fry nymshifting are you?!

James

No I'm not. Actually it did occur to me that Mr Fry might have been more
accustomed than me to some of the more invasive procedures to which I
have been subjected. I did not have an easy time and told one doctor
that I had changed my mind about my proposed career move.

Old February 27th 18, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:

No I'm not. Actually it did occur to me that Mr Fry might have been more
accustomed than me to some of the more invasive procedures to which I
have been subjected. I did not have an easy time and told one doctor
that I had changed my mind about my proposed career move.

One reason I can sympathise is that I have a hospital appointment of my own
on Friday morning - snow and ice permitting as the hospital is over 20
miles away from home. I expect to be having a similar 'examination' of my
own dark interiors... :-/

Old February 27th 18, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 27/02/2018 10:18, Jim Lesurf wrote:

One reason I can sympathise is that I have a hospital appointment of my own
on Friday morning - snow and ice permitting as the hospital is over 20
miles away from home. I expect to be having a similar 'examination' of my
own dark interiors... :-/

Jim

Twenty miles can be a long way in Scotland in winter conditions.

I hope I haven't put you off the medical examination. Honestly it was
fun really. I was only joking before...

Old February 27th 18, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:34:24 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham
wrote:

Best of luck Bill, really hope things turn out fine for you. I for one am
grateful for the help and advice you always offer people who ask.

+1!

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old February 27th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:

Twenty miles can be a long way in Scotland in winter conditions.

I hope I haven't put you off the medical examination. Honestly it was
fun really. I was only joking before...

That's OK. :-)

So far I've had just one meeting with the consultant.

The *symptoms* I've had for about two *decades*. Episodic, but tended to
get worse each time they recur. I've seen more than one GP about it on a
number of occasions but always got "standard response No 1". i.e.

"No idea. If it gets any worse, come back and see me."

which really means

"**** off. I cannae be bothered."

I 'failed' the occulded blood test last summer. No surprise to me because I
was having an 'episode' of the kind I've had for many years and which the
GPs didn't care about or even guess a diagnosis of. (Previous screening
tests were when I wasn't having the episodes.)

The GP then insisted I do the full colonscopy process. Which, for reasons
associated to the symptoms / situation I won't go into, would be
impractical. And *given the history and symptoms* seemed the wrong step
anyway. You will be aware of the full preparations not being very 'nice' as
an experience. For me, they'd be worse as a change in diet, etc, as they
specify would make my symptoms far worse. I've learned to use diet to
reduce/control them. Trial and error given no help by GPs.

I tried on three visits to the GP to get an alternative type of
examination. I knew these existed. Refused.

So I finally bit the bullet and arranged for the first time in my life to
try 'private'. Arranged to see a relevant consultant directly.

The consultant took ten mins to provide a diagnaosis that matches the
symptom history well. For them a 'classic case' with textbook symptoms.

They also said "I can treat you better at my NHS clinic so I'll transfer
you there". And said they can do a simple ultrasound scan to check their
diagnosis. Which means having something poked into the relevant dark hole.
But avoids the preparations, etc, of the standard colonoscopy.

The examination may, of course, find signs of other problems. So I may end
up with the full process, etc. Hence I remain worried about what Friday may
reveal. But I can at least hope the current diagnostic is the real deal and
the problem can *finally* now be treated. If I'm lucky, that's fairly
straightforward - matter of diet, exercises, etc. But surgery may be
required if I'm less lucky.

What *is* really annoying is that the GPs could easily have made the same
diagnosis *years ago* when the symptoms were much less severe. And easier
to treat and deal with I assume, than now.

*And* could have told me long ago I could have the ultrasound. I *asked*
for this, but was refused. Told it "wasn't available". Yet I am seeing the
same consultant at the same NHS hospital as they would have sent me to.

Part of my difficulty is one I think you will understand well. I am the
24/7 carer for my wife. This makes any spell in hospital difficult.
Particularly because her worrying about me makes *her* condition worse. So
even a routine operation for a minor condition is a worry as it will mean
time in hospital.

Anyway, I'm hoping that - from weather to examination - things go well on
Friday.