C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Old February 25th 18, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/02/2018 16:32, charles wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most
popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bill, I'm sure you really know that no satellite has an aerial that can
just cover Wales. Anyway, can you be sure there are no Welsh living in
Yorksire?

My dear Charles, yes there are Welsh people here. This is a regrettable
consequence of the open borders policy pursued by successive
governments. The Welsh absolutely refuse to adjust to our cultural
norms. Some of them keep their coal in the coalhouse and use the bath
for their ablutions!

how terrible.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 25th 18, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

wrote:
On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most
popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bill, I'm sure you really know that no satellite has an aerial that can
just cover Wales. Anyway, can you be sure there are no Welsh living in
Yorksire?

My dear Charles, yes there are Welsh people here. This is a regrettable
consequence of the open borders policy pursued by successive
governments. The Welsh absolutely refuse to adjust to our cultural
norms. Some of them keep their coal in the coalhouse and use the bath
for their ablutions!

Sheesh
--
brightside S9
Old February 26th 18, 06:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 23/02/2018 23:13, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Andy BurnsĀ* wrote:

What's wrong with C4 HD on terrestrial?

Lower bit rate probably

Comparing C4 HD on DTT and D-Sat last night, I'd say the DTT version had
the edge. YMMV.

Playing both the DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 versions of C4 HD at the same time in
VLC ...

the terrestrial is highly variable (between 1.2 and 15Mbps)
the satellite relatively constant (between 9 and 11Mbps)

Don't forget the terrestrial version employs dynamic p/i switching,
washer the satellite version is fixed to 50i, so it's not a totally
equal comparison. And of course it's down to encoder quality, and number
crunching abilities !

--
Mark
Old February 26th 18, 07:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

wrote:
On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most
popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bill, I'm sure you really know that no satellite has an aerial that can
just cover Wales. Anyway, can you be sure there are no Welsh living in
Yorksire?

My dear Charles, yes there are Welsh people here. This is a regrettable
consequence of the open borders policy pursued by successive
governments. The Welsh absolutely refuse to adjust to our cultural
norms. Some of them keep their coal in the coalhouse and use the bath
for their ablutions!

Bill

And sheep in the pigeon loft - can't think what for.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 25th 18, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

David wrote:

Looks like 2018 is the last season on C4.

Yesterday I cranked up the 19.2E LNB on my TVheadend to make sure I
could still receive RTL (SD only, but decent quality compared to UK
544x576 under 2 Mbps channels) ...

.... then I didn't wake up until the race was over.

Old March 26th 18, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I didn't wake up until the race was over.

Me too! I watched the women's race and went to sleep within seconds of the start
of the men's race and woke up exactly as the winner crossed the line. It's one
of the most soporific sport on TV.

I thought adding the halo was the main regulations change this year, not
adding oars ...

Old March 28th 18, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
Martin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I didn't wake up until the race was over.

Me too! I watched the women's race and went to sleep within seconds of the

start
of the men's race and woke up exactly as the winner crossed the line. It's

one
of the most soporific sport on TV.

I thought adding the halo was the main regulations change this year, not
adding oars ...

Why is it that no one has recognised the best part of it all in that the
Cambridge boat didn't sink ;?..

--
Tony Sayer

Old March 28th 18, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
Martin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I didn't wake up until the race was over.

Me too! I watched the women's race and went to sleep within seconds of
the

start
of the men's race and woke up exactly as the winner crossed the line.
It's

one
of the most soporific sport on TV.

I thought adding the halo was the main regulations change this year, not
adding oars ...

Why is it that no one has recognised the best part of it all in that the
Cambridge boat didn't sink ;?..

The best bit of the Boat Race is if one (or both) boats sinks :-) Doesn't
matter which one - I've no loyalty or allegiance to either Oxford or
Cambridge.

Old March 28th 18, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 28/03/2018 10:40, NY wrote:
snip
The best bit of the Boat Race is if one (or both) boats sinks :-)

snip

Both? All credit to you if you saw - and can remember! - the 1912 race.

--
Robin