C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Old February 24th 18, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Andy Burns wrote:

Playing both the DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 versions of C4 HD at the same time in
VLC ...

the terrestrial is highly variable (between 1.2 and 15Mbps)
the satellite relatively constant (between 9 and 11Mbps)

And having left them both running overnight, the average bitrate for the
satellite is 1.9x the terrestrial.

The terrestrial looks a bit softer on text and graphics, but overall it
isn't bit-starved it does seem to get the peaks of bandwidth when it
needs it.

Maybe there are times the statmuxer can't give it what it would like,
but I didn't notice them, difficult to see a difference when the
programmes are either fuzzy clips from youtube, or old 4:3 USA material ...
Old February 24th 18, 10:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 23 February 2018 19:30:16 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 22/02/2018 09:34, Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/02/2018 08:27, tim... wrote:

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales.

you really think that the average punter cares tuppence whether C4 is
HD or not?

Your superiority complex knows no bounds. It might surprise you but
there are many people in this world who are at least as intelligent and
discerning as yourself. A significant proportion of our customers are
very keen on HD. Would Sky have invested so much in it if there was no
public interest?

Bill

I can tell the difference just from the sound.

The HD channel audio is far, far better than SD.

I use a freeview Humax HD FOX-T2 with an external hard disk and
the sound goes via the red and white phono plugs into a class D
amptastic amp and some old phillips 320 computer speakers.

I think you will find it depends on the channel, but I will look into this.

BBC2 HD (e.g. Glastonbury) arrives in 5.1 and when fed to an AV amp the result is superb. ITV by contrast usually only send 2.0 at 48kbps per channel, which gives acceptable stereo.
Old February 24th 18, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 21 February 2018 14:44:28 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 20/02/18 13:50, Mark Carver wrote:
....it would seem from emails being received today by Freesat punters

Quote:-

"We’re sorry to announce that All 4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on
Thursday 22nd February, 2018.

But probably still on Cable and Sky Satellite in HD?

--
Adrian C

C4 HD has gone from Freesat, but remains on FTA and Freeview HD.

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.
Old February 24th 18, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bring back public service broadcasting I say.

Old February 25th 18, 04:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most
popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bill, I'm sure you really know that no satellite has an aerial that can
just cover Wales. Anyway, can you be sure there are no Welsh living in
Yorksire?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 25th 18, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 24/02/2018 12:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most
popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bring back public service broadcasting I say.

Bill

pobol is supposed to be good
Old February 25th 18, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 22/02/2018 13:27, WCZ wrote:
Looks like 2018 is the last season on C4.

Yep ...

As I understand it all live races will only be on Sky from 2019.

However, there is a highlights only package which as far as I know
hasn't been picked up by anyone yet.* This could still be FTA.* Guess
we'll find out as 2018 progresses.

I thought the teams want F1 on FTA as otherwise they are likely to lose
their advertising revenue.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 25th 18, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

As I understand it all live races will only be on Sky from 2019.
However, there is a highlights only package which as far as I
know hasn't been picked up by anyone yet.* This could still be
FTA.* Guess we'll find out as 2018 progresses.

I thought the teams want F1 on FTA as otherwise they are likely
to lose their advertising revenue.

Sky has promised to show the British F1 on a free to air channel, but otherwise
I guess it will only be highlights FTA, if atall.

Certainly the whole concept of sponsorship fails if no-one can see your logos
and names, but maybe Sky is offering sufficient money to compensate.

Or maybe the FIA will finally claw back the ludicrous bribes paid to Ferrari to
keep it racing, an extra 10m/year over Mercedes apparently.

Angus

Old February 25th 18, 08:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25/02/2018 16:32, charles wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 24/02/2018 10:41, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Bizarrely S4C HD, with less than 50,000 viewers even for its most
popular programme even on their own figures, is still there.

Yes isn't it bloody ridiculous that here in Yorkshire we can get S4C HD
on Freesat but we can't get C4 HD.

Bill, I'm sure you really know that no satellite has an aerial that can
just cover Wales. Anyway, can you be sure there are no Welsh living in
Yorksire?

My dear Charles, yes there are Welsh people here. This is a regrettable
consequence of the open borders policy pursued by successive
governments. The Welsh absolutely refuse to adjust to our cultural
norms. Some of them keep their coal in the coalhouse and use the bath
for their ablutions!