C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Old February 23rd 18, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

Default C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

On 23/02/2018 11:13, Andy Burns wrote:
ChrisK wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

It's not over 'till the fat lady sings.

And she sung at 13:00hrs today, I'm told, it's gone from the EPG ?

Still being transmitted (in clear) though, just not in the EPG.

My DVB-S2 linux box can still find it by name during a transponder scan.

Not having the epg data is going to make it difficult to record programmes.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 23rd 18, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 22/02/2018 09:34, Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/02/2018 08:27, tim... wrote:

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales.

you really think that the average punter cares tuppence whether C4 is
HD or not?

Your superiority complex knows no bounds. It might surprise you but
there are many people in this world who are at least as intelligent and
discerning as yourself. A significant proportion of our customers are
very keen on HD. Would Sky have invested so much in it if there was no
public interest?

Bill

I can tell the difference just from the sound.

The HD channel audio is far, far better than SD.

I use a freeview Humax HD FOX-T2 with an external hard disk and
the sound goes via the red and white phono plugs into a class D
amptastic amp and some old phillips 320 computer speakers.
Old February 23rd 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

news
On 22/02/2018 08:27, tim... wrote:

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales.

you really think that the average punter cares tuppence whether C4 is HD
or not?

Your superiority complex knows no bounds. It might surprise you but there
are many people in this world who are at least as intelligent and
discerning as yourself. A significant proportion of our customers are
very keen on HD. Would Sky have invested so much in it if there was no
public interest?

Bill

I can tell the difference just from the sound.

so can I

one whispers, the other shouts.

It's nothing to do with a better bitrate. It's just a completely different
volume range

tim

Old February 23rd 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 21/02/2018 13:57, NY wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:17:53 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as Freeview
probably are of people just not watching content off air and
recording ti
and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably mean lower revenue
for ads
and hence a lower profit for all concerned while the actual
provision of
the transmission services rises.
Brian

I sometimes feel guilty about this as the advertisers are paying for
the programmes, but usually not for long :-)

I would define the nanosecond as the unit of time for which I feel
guilty about skipping over the adverts :-)

I record (on my PC) everything I watch, and then I edit the .ts file to
remove the adverts so I have an uninterrupted programme. I haven't seen
an advert at normal speed (ie when not shuttling past it at high speed)
for many years.

Why waste time editing the TS file? Just fast forward when viewing it.
--
Dave W
Old February 23rd 18, 10:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark Carver wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

What's wrong with C4 HD on terrestrial?

Lower bit rate probably

Comparing C4 HD on DTT and D-Sat last night, I'd say the DTT version had
the edge. YMMV.

Playing both the DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 versions of C4 HD at the same time in
VLC ...

the terrestrial is highly variable (between 1.2 and 15Mbps)
the satellite relatively constant (between 9 and 11Mbps)

Old February 24th 18, 02:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

ChrisK wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

It's not over 'till the fat lady sings.

And she sung at 13:00hrs today, I'm told, it's gone from the EPG ?

Still being transmitted (in clear) though, just not in the EPG.

My DVB-S2 linux box can still find it by name during a transponder scan.

Not having the epg data is going to make it difficult to record programmes.

Yes. Manually when you're there or using the timer. I think I'll just
get a Freeview box. I'll use my Freesat box in manual mode for 13E

Old February 24th 18, 07:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Wright wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

Not having the epg data is going to make it difficult to record programmes.

Yes. Manually when you're there or using the timer.

C4 HD only has 'Now & Next' programme info available.