C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Old February 22nd 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Wideband LNBs are just a newer standard, nothing SKY proprietary about
them ...

They are just being different so you can't plug your $ky dish into a CI receiver or Freesat TV

I agree that's one reason they're using them, ease of multi-tuners is
another, but they will fit a combined wideband+quad LNB if asked.

Old February 22nd 18, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:18:43 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 21/02/2018 14:14, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 13:57:22 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:17:53 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as
Freeview probably are of people just not watching content off air
and recording ti and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably
mean lower revenue for ads and hence a lower profit for all
concerned while the actual provision of the transmission services
rises.
Brian

I sometimes feel guilty about this as the advertisers are paying for
the programmes, but usually not for long :-)

I would define the nanosecond as the unit of time for which I feel
guilty about skipping over the adverts :-)

I record (on my PC) everything I watch, and then I edit the .ts file
to remove the adverts so I have an uninterrupted programme. I haven't
seen an advert at normal speed (ie when not shuttling past it at high
speed) for many years.

Are some of the ads designed to convey the message during fast forward?
Maybe it then becomes subliminal and more effective :-)

I do find I have to watch more closely as I fast forward.

Formula 1 in SD does not appeal.

I thought that F1 was no longer available for free?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old February 22nd 18, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/02/2018 12:01, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 22 February 2018 11:15:25 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I for one am most unlikely to watch Formula 1 on SD

What's wrong with C4 HD on terrestrial?

Lower bit rate probably and there was an announcement on it yesterday evening.

Comparing C4 HD on DTT and D-Sat last night, I'd say the DTT version had
the edge. YMMV.

--
Mark
Old February 22nd 18, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/editors-blog/formula-1-2018-season-confirmed-on-channel-4
Old February 22nd 18, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 February 2018 09:03:34 UTC, Angus Robertson - Magenta
Systems Ltd wrote:
absolutely right Bill, sky have queered the pitch so to speak,
why should they have access to all the HD channels

Simply because Sky has revenue of a few billion pounds a year to spend on
satellite transponders and technology, and to pay channels to appear on
their
platform.

That was why so many HD channels appeared only on Sky first, and many are
still
Sky only, like E4/More4 HD, because Channel 4 makes money doing so,
rather than
dipping into it's profits to do so.

You can not expect commercial broadcasters to pay the extra costs of HD
distribution with zero additional revenue, particularly the complexity of
needing multiple HD channels for multiple regions, easier to arrange on
Freeview than Freesat.

Angus

I for one am most unlikely to watch Formula 1 on SD, indeed I view it much
less since it fragmented.

I stopped watching it when it became a "procession"

no amount of improvement in the picture is going to bring me back until they
actually have "racing" to show me

tim

Old February 22nd 18, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:50:06 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

David wrote:

I thought that F1 was no longer available for free?

http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/edi...1-2018-season-

confirmed-on-channel-4

Yeah, just looked it up.

I do have memories of them saying last year that they would no longer be
covering it.

Which made me decide I would rather do without than pay some money
grubbing ******* a reward for screwing up my viewing.

Another year for the PVR, then. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old February 22nd 18, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

David wrote:

I thought that F1 was no longer available for free?

http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/edi...1-2018-season-

confirmed-on-channel-4

Yeah, just looked it up.

I do have memories of them saying last year that they would no longer be
covering it.

Which made me decide I would rather do without than pay some money
grubbing ******* a reward for screwing up my viewing.

Another year for the PVR, then. :-)

Bugger!

One year early.

Looks like 2018 is the last season on C4.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old February 22nd 18, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

David wrote:

Looks like 2018 is the last season on C4.

Yep ...
Old February 22nd 18, 12:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/02/2018 19:33, Mark Carver wrote:

It's not over 'till the fat lady sings.

And she sung at 13:00hrs today, I'm told, it's gone from the EPG ?

--
Mark
Old February 22nd 18, 12:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
WCZ[_5_]

Looks like 2018 is the last season on C4.

Yep ...

As I understand it all live races will only be on Sky from 2019.

However, there is a highlights only package which as far as I know hasn't
been picked up by anyone yet. This could still be FTA. Guess we'll find
out as 2018 progresses.

--

WCZ