C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Old February 21st 18, 01:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 13:57:22 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:17:53 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as Freeview
probably are of people just not watching content off air and recording ti
and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably mean lower revenue for
and hence a lower profit for all concerned while the actual provision of
the transmission services rises.
Brian

I sometimes feel guilty about this as the advertisers are paying for
the programmes, but usually not for long :-)

I would define the nanosecond as the unit of time for which I feel guilty
about skipping over the adverts :-)

I record (on my PC) everything I watch, and then I edit the .ts file to
remove the adverts so I have an uninterrupted programme. I haven't seen an
advert at normal speed (ie when not shuttling past it at high speed) for
many years.

Are some of the ads designed to convey the message during fast
forward? Maybe it then becomes subliminal and more effective :-)
Old February 21st 18, 01:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Scott" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 13:57:22 -0000, "NY" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I've become quite adept at skimming through the adverts at high speed in
VideoReDo to find the transitions between programme and advert. If it's a
black-and-white film, it's easier because colour stands out from B&W, and
it's a lot easier with British TV where there is almost always a caption (eg
"End of Part 1" or else the channel logo) as a clear marker between
programme and advert. My limited experience with US television is that they
do not have any demarcation caption so it is often very difficult even at
normal speed to distinguish programme from advert except by noticing that
"this bit doesn't make sense in the story - oh, it must be an advert" :-)

Old February 21st 18, 01:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 20/02/18 13:50, Mark Carver wrote:
....it would seem from emails being received today by Freesat punters

Quote:-

"We’re sorry to announce that All 4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on
Thursday 22nd February, 2018.

But probably still on Cable and Sky Satellite in HD?

--
Adrian C
Old February 21st 18, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/02/2018 09:05, Mark Carver wrote:
On 20/02/2018 20:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

but will they still be transmitting it - like CNN and Al Jazeera HD?

Yes, they are still on Sky's platform, so the stream carries on.
However if it goes encrypted tomorrow, then Sky have had a hand in this.

Other reports indicate C4 were unwilling to carry on paying the 40kpa
charge to remain on Freesat's EPG.

40K per year ( 769 quid a week) for an organisation like C4 is ****ing
in the ocean, so there must be other factors in play !

It's a pity platform parity doesn't apply to the HD channels.

Old February 21st 18, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/02/2018 09:27, Robin wrote:

I've bugger all idea of the particular issues but it could be Channel 4
decided it was time to show they could walk away from a negotiation (or
the absence of negotiation); and to remind Freesat (or rather the BBC
and ITV) that the value of the Freesat brand is diminished
disproportionately if it ceases to offer as much as Freeview or streaming.

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales. If people are
deciding between an aerial and a satellite system this could swing the
deal towards the aerial. But would Freesat care? What difference would
it make to them?

Old February 21st 18, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 21/02/2018 19:15, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/02/2018 09:27, Robin wrote:

I've bugger all idea of the particular issues but it could be Channel
4 decided it was time to show they could walk away from a negotiation
(or the absence of negotiation); and to remind Freesat (or rather the
BBC and ITV) that the value of the Freesat brand is diminished
disproportionately if it ceases to offer as much as Freeview or
streaming.

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales. If people are
deciding between an aerial and a satellite system this could swing the
deal towards the aerial. But would Freesat care? What difference would
it make to them?

It's not over 'till the fat lady sings.

Yesterday the EPG data for C4HD only went as far as 6am Thursday
(Tomorrow). At present it's now showing until 6am Saturday 24th Feb.

I sense a 48hrs extension for further 'talks'

--
Mark
Old February 21st 18, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 21/02/2018 19:12, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/02/2018 09:05, Mark Carver wrote:
On 20/02/2018 20:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

but will they still be transmitting it - like CNN and Al Jazeera HD?

Yes, they are still on Sky's platform, so the stream carries on.
However if it goes encrypted tomorrow, then Sky have had a hand in this.

Other reports indicate C4 were unwilling to carry on paying the 40kpa
charge to remain on Freesat's EPG.

40K per year ( 769 quid a week) for an organisation like C4 is ****ing
in the ocean, so there must be other factors in play !

It's a pity platform parity doesn't apply to the HD channels.

Bill

absolutely right Bill, sky have queered the pitch so to speak, why
should they have access to all the HD channels, what is the point of all
the money spent on hd reception if companies can buy and manipulate who
gets what on the TV channels?
Old February 21st 18, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I do find I have to watch more closely as I fast forward.

Formula 1 in SD does not appeal.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 22nd 18, 07:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 21/02/2018 09:27, Robin wrote:

I've bugger all idea of the particular issues but it could be Channel 4
decided it was time to show they could walk away from a negotiation (or
the absence of negotiation); and to remind Freesat (or rather the BBC and
ITV) that the value of the Freesat brand is diminished disproportionately
if it ceases to offer as much as Freeview or streaming.

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales.

you really think that the average punter cares tuppence whether C4 is HD or
not?

tim

Old February 22nd 18, 08:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/02/2018 08:27, tim... wrote:

When advising a customer in a poor terrestrial reception area are
installers now going to have to queer their pitch by admitting that
there's no Freesat C4HD? If so it will hit Freesat sales.

you really think that the average punter cares tuppence whether C4 is HD
or not?

Your superiority complex knows no bounds. It might surprise you but
there are many people in this world who are at least as intelligent and
discerning as yourself. A significant proportion of our customers are
very keen on HD. Would Sky have invested so much in it if there was no
public interest?