C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

Old February 20th 18, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

What does this mean to those who can only get free sat, do they need to
subscribe to sky or a cable service or can it be watched via normal internet
if out of range of terrestrial.

"Scott" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 16:44:29 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mark Carver quoted:

We're sorry to announce that All 4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on
Thursday 22nd February, 2018.

C4 spokesperson ...

"We're disappointed Freesat is changing its charging structure, leading
to a very significant cost increase for Channel 4"

Can we take it this means there is no threat to Freeview HD?

Old February 20th 18, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 20/02/2018 20:33, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 20:31:06 UTC, wrote:
On 20/02/2018 20:10, tim... wrote:

manually tuning to a channel just to get the HD variant of an SD channel
has to be more effort than it's worth, surely?

Good grief no. SD is unwatchable.

Bill

SD is not that bad, but HD is much better.

SD is that bad, and HD is not much better.

My favourite horror is motion artefacts on black hair. It always seems
to move more slowly than the head it is on. Which is bit starvation, not
resolution.

Andy
Old February 21st 18, 07:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 20/02/2018 20:10, tim... wrote:

manually tuning to a channel just to get the HD variant of an SD channel
has to be more effort than it's worth, surely?

Good grief no. SD is unwatchable.

I can barely tell the difference

Do you know what functionality you lose on a Freesat PVR if you select
manual tuning mode?

The loss here isn't just the time it takes to make the manual selection.
It's turning your box from a thoroughbred into a cripple, that's the issue.

tim

Old February 21st 18, 07:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
This seems like going backwards rather does it not? I thought the future
was hd. maybe since the programs are often so bad they hardly need hd!

Until you are sure that everyone has upgraded to HD equipment, as a
broadcaster you wouldn't dare turn off the SD feed

So if you are only prepared to pay for one, it has to be SD

tim

Old February 21st 18, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 20/02/2018 20:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

but will they still be transmitting it - like CNN and Al Jazeera HD?

Yes, they are still on Sky's platform, so the stream carries on.
However if it goes encrypted tomorrow, then Sky have had a hand in this.

Other reports indicate C4 were unwilling to carry on paying the 40kpa
charge to remain on Freesat's EPG.

40K per year ( 769 quid a week) for an organisation like C4 is ****ing
in the ocean, so there must be other factors in play !

--
Mark
Old February 21st 18, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 21/02/2018 09:05, Mark Carver wrote:
On 20/02/2018 20:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

but will they still be transmitting it - like CNN and Al Jazeera HD?

Yes, they are still on Sky's platform, so the stream carries on.
However if it goes encrypted tomorrow, then Sky have had a hand in this.

Other reports indicate C4 were unwilling to carry on paying the 40kpa
charge to remain on Freesat's EPG.

40K per year ( 769 quid a week) for an organisation like C4 is ****ing
in the ocean, so there must be other factors in play !

I've bugger all idea of the particular issues but it could be Channel 4
decided it was time to show they could walk away from a negotiation (or
the absence of negotiation); and to remind Freesat (or rather the BBC
and ITV) that the value of the Freesat brand is diminished
disproportionately if it ceases to offer as much as Freeview or streaming.

--
Robin
Old February 21st 18, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as Freeview
probably are of people just not watching content off air and recording ti
and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably mean lower revenue for ads
and hence a lower profit for all concerned while the actual provision of
the transmission services rises.

"tim..." wrote in message
news

Old February 21st 18, 11:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:17:53 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as Freeview
probably are of people just not watching content off air and recording ti
and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably mean lower revenue for ads
and hence a lower profit for all concerned while the actual provision of
the transmission services rises.
Brian

I sometimes feel guilty about this as the advertisers are paying for
the programmes, but usually not for long :-)
Old February 21st 18, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as Freeview
probably are of people just not watching content off air and recording ti
and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably mean lower revenue for
and hence a lower profit for all concerned while the actual provision of
the transmission services rises.
Brian

I sometimes feel guilty about this as the advertisers are paying for
the programmes, but usually not for long :-)

I would define the nanosecond as the unit of time for which I feel guilty
about skipping over the adverts :-)

I record (on my PC) everything I watch, and then I edit the .ts file to
remove the adverts so I have an uninterrupted programme. I haven't seen an
advert at normal speed (ie when not shuttling past it at high speed) for
many years.

Old February 21st 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Which makes me think then that Freesat are feeling the pinch as Freeview
probably are of people just not watching content off air and recording ti
and shuffling past the ads. This will presumably mean lower revenue for
ads and hence a lower profit for all concerned while the actual provision
of the transmission services rises.

As that isn't the FreeSat and FreeView business models, it's irrelevant

tim