Free Book :-)

Old February 21st 18, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Free Book :-)

On 21/02/2018 13:55, Chris Bartram wrote:
*** Vir Campestris wrote:
"[Chapter 19] chose the ill-fated example of DCC (Digital Compact
Cassette). The new version.... uses JPEG and MiniDisc as its examples."

Minidisc. Oh well. JPEG is still going though!

I rather liked MiniDisc. For a while before computer based systems
arrived. Far better than NAB carts, and much cheaper too.

I assume you mean 8-tracks - they aren't quite the same. And what about
Compact Cassette? They were quite good once improvements were made to
the tape and heads &c. Too bad DAT wasn't allowed because of DRM and
consigned to computer data storage.

--
Max Demian
Old February 21st 18, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

I've just put up an alternative layout of the book

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/Informa...DF_Book_pf.pdf

This makes more use of an A4 page's area. And now includes the section page
numbers in the 'Contents' list.

Old February 21st 18, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Jim Lesurf wrote:

I've just put up an alternative layout of the book
This makes more use of an A4 page's area.

That's a nicer layout, thanks ...
Old February 21st 18, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Trevor Wilson

On 20/02/2018 8:33 PM, Jim Lesurf wrote:
Just to let people know that I have now made freely available a PDF version
of the book I wrote mumble years ago on Information and Measurement. Can be
obtained from

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/Informa...t_PDF_Book.pdf

The explanations use various examples like CD Players, etc, to illustrate
the underlaying methods and science.

Cheers,

Jim

**Thanks Jim. I have also downloaded and saved it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Old February 22nd 18, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 21/02/2018 16:37, Jim Lesurf wrote:
I've just put up an alternative layout of the book

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/Informa...DF_Book_pf.pdf

This makes more use of an A4 page's area. And now includes the section page
numbers in the 'Contents' list.

Jim

Hooray! That's much better than my cropped version so I won't upload it.
Your document now has fewer pages and a smaller filesize.
--
Dave W
Old February 22nd 18, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 21/02/2018 14:17, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:33:43 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

Just to let people know that I have now made freely available a PDF version
of the book I wrote mumble years ago on Information and Measurement. Can be
obtained from

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/Informa...t_PDF_Book.pdf

[snip]

I would like to thank Jim for making this book available and to
comment that it seems ungrateful to criticise layouts and pagination.

OTOH I suppose all the regulars know each other on this group and such
observations may not be unexpected. :-)

It does indeed seem ungrateful, but if I'd written the book I would be
eager to know about any defects in case I could do something about them.
Now Jim has done that.
--
Dave W
Old February 22nd 18, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Dave W
wrote:
It does indeed seem ungrateful, but if I'd written the book I would be
eager to know about any defects in case I could do something about them.
Now Jim has done that.

TBH It just nudged my conscience into getting me to do what I felt I should
have done in the first place. :-)

Old February 24th 18, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
pamela wrote:

How interesting. I'd somehow forgotten how much maths is involved
until I browsed your textbook. There's some chewy content there. Are
some sections taken from lecturer's notes?

Yes. The book was largely based on some of the lecture courses I gave at St
Andrews. You can see individual lectures and sections of the later versions
of my I and M course here

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...ndm/intro.html

The uni continued to keep my 'Scots Guide' pages available because they and
others use it as a teaching resource. But, having retired, my old uni email
address no longer works, despite still being on the web pages. The top page
for the site's URL is in my sig, below. There were other courses, but not
all the pages are linked to it. Research-level stuff tends to go stale
faster than the basics. :-)

Old February 24th 18, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , pamela
wrote:

I can imagine some students might sign up for this and find more maths
than they expected. Well, I suppose it's no bad thing to grind a bit
of rigourous thought into young minds.

FWIW One of the reasons I wrote the book was that most of the existing
alternative texts had far *more* maths per page, and less explanatory text!

The result was books which even *lecturers* failed to understand, but felt
"must be good" because it looked impressive. Example of the story of two
people coming out of a talk, one saying to the other: "He must be clever, I
didn't understand a word he said!" 8-]

Sadly, this also means that many of the textbooks I found on IT and also EM
contained erronious arguments or 'proofs' which had been duly copied from
one book to another. Presumably because generations of authors didn't
understand but assume it "must be correct".

However the maths I used should be quite within the grasp of an honours
student in physical science or engineering. Tools of the trade. Although I
do wonder if people now use computer programs without a clue how they work.

Old February 24th 18, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/02/2018 15:29, Max Demian wrote:

I rather liked MiniDisc. For a while before computer based systems
arrived. Far better than NAB carts, and much cheaper too.

I assume you mean 8-tracks - they aren't quite the same.

No, I suspect Dave meant the NAB carts that were used in broadcasting to
play jingles, adverts, and sound effects. Industry standard from the 60s
until MD based systems came along to replace them. Today of course HDD
based/servers are used

--
Mark