Free Book :-)

Old February 21st 18, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
RJH[_3_]

Default Free Book :-)

On 20/02/2018 09:33, Jim Lesurf wrote:
Just to let people know that I have now made freely available a PDF version
of the book I wrote mumble years ago on Information and Measurement. Can be
obtained from

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/Informa...t_PDF_Book.pdf

The explanations use various examples like CD Players, etc, to illustrate
the underlaying methods and science.

Excellent, thanks.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old February 21st 18, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
I do apologise - I only noticed the page numbering after doing the
cropping, but your original was fine. I repeated the cropping and the
numbering was fine this time, so I don't understand what happened.

That's OK. Pleased that the issue has cleared up. :-)

One thing I didn't mention was that the Contents pages have random bold
lines. Is this intentional, and if so what is the significance?

Only that its a problem I didn't fix. :-)

A number of side-effects arose from my combining a series of files. Mainly
via the page numbering. Another is that you get two 'blank pages' as these
were the the blank sheet at the start of the printed book.

A result was that the page numbering for the contents and index were now
wrong. And some of the page breaks were in slightly different locations.
(Blank space at the end of each chapter might be 'invaded' by the start of
the next, etc.)

I decided that if I had to redo the index numbering, etc, I'd lack enough
'round tuit' and wouldn't get to putting up the file. So the index got
dumped. And I delected the 'section' lines of the contents list. However
the bold was for the chapters in the contents list to distinguish them from
the sections of each chaper. (All laid out by a table element with no cell
lines.) So some bold got lost. Accident I didn't bother to fix.

I could have another go sometime, but decided that these problems were
cosmetic, so wouldn't prevent people from reading the books OK.

Hence what you have.

Old February 21st 18, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Vir Campestris
wrote:

Just out of curiosity I downloaded it. He's right about the margins, but
I see no fault in the page numbers, nor odd bold lines.

It shows up in the 'Contents' section.

I was amused by one section:

"[Chapter 19] chose the ill-fated example of DCC (Digital Compact
Cassette). The new version.... uses JPEG and MiniDisc as its examples."

Minidisc. Oh well. JPEG is still going though!

Ah, yes. These days I'd have used flac or mp3/4, but the book was published
in 2001. So shows some signs of the stone age. :-)

I deliberately used the old Philips chipset for the DAC example, though, as
it also let me show oversampling in digital filtering and other methods
that are generally quite handy. So the techniques are still widely used.

Old February 21st 18, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Jim Lesurf wrote:

I could have another go sometime, but decided that these problems were
cosmetic, so wouldn't prevent people from reading the books OK.

Indexes and page number glitches are easy to live with, but it would be
nice to have a version with less white space surrounding each page of
text, would you be happy to offer Dave's cropped version for download?
(i.e. no further work on your part).

Old February 21st 18, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Andy Burns
wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:

I could have another go sometime, but decided that these problems were
cosmetic, so wouldn't prevent people from reading the books OK.

Indexes and page number glitches are easy to live with, but it would be
nice to have a version with less white space surrounding each page of
text, would you be happy to offer Dave's cropped version for download?
(i.e. no further work on your part).

I'd be happy to have a look at it and consider it.

Dave, if you're happy to do so, please use the upload facility at

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/upload.html

to send me a copy.

That said, I'll have a play and see if I can do a version that covers
more of an A4 page, and tweak some of the things I didn't do before.

Old February 21st 18, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Bartram[_2_]

Vir Campestris wrote:
"[Chapter 19] chose the ill-fated example of DCC (Digital Compact
Cassette). The new version.... uses JPEG and MiniDisc as its examples."

Minidisc. Oh well. JPEG is still going though!

I rather liked MiniDisc. For a while before computer based systems
arrived. Far better than NAB carts, and much cheaper too. I've still got a
stack of domestic Sonys modified to balanced outputs I used to carry
around.

Minidisc was great, just perhaps a little late in coming to get real
success (and perhaps SCMS didn't help). Audio quality was great, and the
form factor small enough to be properly portable, unlike CD.
Old February 21st 18, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:33:43 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

Just to let people know that I have now made freely available a PDF version
of the book I wrote mumble years ago on Information and Measurement. Can be
obtained from

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/Informa...t_PDF_Book.pdf

[snip]

I would like to thank Jim for making this book available and to
comment that it seems ungrateful to criticise layouts and pagination.

OTOH I suppose all the regulars know each other on this group and such
observations may not be unexpected. :-)
Old February 21st 18, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Scott wrote:

it seems ungrateful to criticise layouts and pagination.

It's honest feedback, it's not as though anyone's asking for money back!

Old February 21st 18, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 14:57:32 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

it seems ungrateful to criticise layouts and pagination.

It's honest feedback, it's not as though anyone's asking for money back!

I'm sure refund in full would not be a problem :-)
Old February 21st 18, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
"[Chapter 19] chose the ill-fated example of DCC (Digital Compact
Cassette). The new version.... uses JPEG and MiniDisc as its examples."

Minidisc. Oh well. JPEG is still going though!

I rather liked MiniDisc. For a while before computer based systems
arrived. Far better than NAB carts, and much cheaper too. I've still got a
stack of domestic Sonys modified to balanced outputs I used to carry
around.

Minidisc was great, just perhaps a little late in coming to get real
success (and perhaps SCMS didn't help). Audio quality was great, and the
form factor small enough to be properly portable, unlike CD.

I'm surprised it didn't appeal more to teenagers etc who liked to make up
their own tapes with cassette.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.