Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Galileo ever come on stream? (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36545)

Brian Gaff February 20th 18 07:50 AM

Galileo ever come on stream?

I was listening to a presentation by a company talking about the various
spacecraft supported by their sat nav and they said it was Galileo ready
after a software update.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but it must be at least a decade ago, these
craft were supposed to be going into orbit for the European gps system.
Its still not working? Blimey I bet its cost zillions!

R. Mark Clayton[_2_] February 20th 18 07:04 PM

Galileo ever come on stream?

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 08:50:09 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was listening to a presentation by a company talking about the various
spacecraft supported by their sat nav and they said it was Galileo ready
after a software update.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but it must be at least a decade ago, these
craft were supposed to be going into orbit for the European gps system.
Its still not working? Blimey I bet its cost zillions!

Fully operational by 2020 (claimed), five billion Euros, however high precision is charged for.

Brian Gaff February 20th 18 08:05 PM

Galileo ever come on stream?

Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret deal
to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy. Galileo said
the extra accuracy would be made by having ground based additional
resources, one assumes that means more transmitters in towns.

Robin[_8_] February 20th 18 09:35 PM

Galileo ever come on stream?

[top posted for Brain]

"Galileo, the long-awaited European global navigation satellite systems,
....is expected to be fully operational for 2021.

Alongside it, the European geostationary navigation overlay system
(EGNOS), which improves the accuracy and integrity of the American
global positioning system (GPS) over EU territory, ...is estimated that
by 2020, the EU and European Space Agency will have invested more than
€13 billion in these programmes."

April 2017

from
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegDat...9599406_EN.pdf.

--
Robin

[email protected] February 20th 18 10:15 PM

Galileo ever come on stream?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:50:06 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I was listening to a presentation by a company talking about the various
spacecraft supported by their sat nav and they said it was Galileo ready
after a software update.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but it must be at least a decade ago, these
craft were supposed to be going into orbit for the European gps system.
Its still not working? Blimey I bet its cost zillions!
Brian

Galileo IS operational, but not yet with the full complement of
satellites.
Not all smartphones are able to receive it: most new ones can or will.
My Samsung S8+ usually sees and uses 4 or 5 Galileo satellites.

[email protected] February 20th 18 10:17 PM

Galileo ever come on stream?

wrote:

I was listening to a presentation by a company talking about the various
spacecraft supported by their sat nav and they said it was Galileo ready
after a software update.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but it must be at least a decade ago, these
craft were supposed to be going into orbit for the European gps system.
Its still not working? Blimey I bet its cost zillions!
Brian

Galileo IS operational, but not yet with the full complement of
satellites.
Not all smartphones are able to receive it: most new ones can or will.
My Samsung S8+ usually sees and uses 4 or 5 Galileo satellites.

Meant to post this link:

https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-sta...on-Information

tim...[_2_] February 21st 18 07:30 AM

Galileo ever come on stream?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret deal
to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy.

As this is a passive system, how can they possibly charge people to use it?

tim

Robin[_8_] February 21st 18 07:43 AM

Galileo ever come on stream?

On 21/02/2018 08:30, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret
deal to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy.

As this is a passive system, how can they possibly charge people to use it?

Encryption on the more accurate service - cf eg Sky's charges for TV
packages.

--
Robin

tim...[_2_] February 21st 18 08:33 AM

Galileo ever come on stream?

"Robin" wrote in message
On 21/02/2018 08:30, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret
deal to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy.

As this is a passive system, how can they possibly charge people to use
it?

Encryption on the more accurate service - cf eg Sky's charges for TV
packages.

So they can charge you for the "technology" in a chip that decrypts it

but how can they do that on anything other than a "one time fee" model.

The analogy with Sky falls down here as Sky have some means to disable your
device if you don't pay a sub, Galileo doesn't

And they are somewhat limited in how high a fee they can charge because they
don't have the capability of manufacturing the chips. They will have to
subcontract that out to one of the world chip produces. And no-one is going
to take that work on if the license fee is so high sales of the end product
are minimal.

tim

Robin[_8_] February 21st 18 09:01 AM

Galileo ever come on stream?

On 21/02/2018 09:33, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 21/02/2018 08:30, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

The plan was that you wouldn't get the more accurate service on a bog
standard chipset - just like you can't buy any old satellite receiver
and watch Sky Sports. But AIUI the technology for that isn't settled;
and the EU decided late last year to considering making it all free anyway.

--
Robin