Galileo ever come on stream?

Old February 22nd 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Galileo ever come on stream?

On 22/02/2018 12:36, Tweed wrote:

There are many ways of messing about with GPS accuracy that do not
necessarily involve the use of satellites. Ground and aircraft based
systems can be used to locally or regionally spoof the system. In car sat
navs are reported to go haywire around the Kremlin. North Korea is reported
to have messed up GPS within South Korea.

There are often tests of GPS defeaters in the UK.

Old February 22nd 18, 05:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret deal
to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy.

As this is a passive system, how can they possibly charge people to use it?

tim

I imagine it would be similar to the "Selective Availability" (SA)
that used to be applied to the GPS signals.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old February 22nd 18, 09:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:45:09 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret deal
to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy.

As this is a passive system, how can they possibly charge people to use it?

tim

I imagine it would be similar to the "Selective Availability" (SA)
that used to be applied to the GPS signals.

But that can't be targeted at individuals technically and as anybody in
the world can purchase a consumer grade GPSR without registering that
purchase who is to know who those purchasers are?

Answering my own question, the purchaser would have to buy and apply an
unlock code before their purchase became active. Might work.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old February 23rd 18, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news Well all a bit late and too costly unless of course there is a secret deal
to start ramping up the cost of using them with good accuracy.

As this is a passive system, how can they possibly charge people to use it?

tim

I imagine it would be similar to the "Selective Availability" (SA)
that used to be applied to the GPS signals.

But that can't be targeted at individuals technically and as anybody in
the world can purchase a consumer grade GPSR without registering that
purchase who is to know who those purchasers are?

Answering my own question, the purchaser would have to buy and apply an
unlock code before their purchase became active. Might work.

The public service will be free, so all this talk of charging schemes is
moot. There are at least two additional encrypted services, one of higher
accuracy and the other apparently more resilient (harder to spoof and
harder to jam, but I’ve no idea how this might be achieved).

Old February 23rd 18, 09:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 22 February 2018 15:57:45 UTC, wrote:
On 22/02/2018 10:22, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A Sky box might be installed in a boat, barge, yacht, car, caravan,
motorhome, ocean-going ship, or hot air balloon.

Bill

Indeed, but you have to arrange for it to be able to phone home from time to time or it stops working.

No you don't.

Bill

"If you have an active Multiscreen subscription, the Box used to receive your first Sky digital subscription and the
Box(es) used to receive your Multiscreen subscription(s) must always be connected to any residential broadband
service you receive, provided the Boxes can be connected to broadband and we have supplied you with the
equipment necessary to make the connections (e.g. an On Demand connector)."

"If you disconnect your telephone line from your Sky Box and fail to reconnect it after being notified by us that
you need to do so, you must reimburse us for our costs of providing your Digital Satellite System which shall not
exceed £80."

"If you have taken a Sky Box with a Sky Multiscreen subscription(s), then as part of the installation you must
allow us to connect your Box(es) to any residential broadband service you receive, provided we supply the
equipmement necessary to establish the connection(s)."

SKY TV Contract February 2018
Old February 23rd 18, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/02/2018 10:20, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Yes of course. That's Multiscreen. A stand alone box doesn't need a
phone line.

Old February 23rd 18, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 23 February 2018 10:33:34 UTC, wrote:
[...]

except when they tell you to: -