Global positioning

Old February 15th 18, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Global positioning

I ride in a lot of taxis, and am often amused by the sat nav that many of
the non English drivers seem to use. In the country they are fine, but in
the built up towns you often get them missing turns and all sorts. One guy
said to me in a broken English, I blame all this satellite TV for
interfering with them.
I did think about trying to explain how the two would not affect each other
but just nodded instead.
is it me or have people nowadays simply got no technical knowledge of how
stuff works or how it does not work?
When I was young I always tried to grasp concepts if nothing else.

Old February 15th 18, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:01:13 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I ride in a lot of taxis, and am often amused by the sat nav that many
of the non English drivers seem to use. In the country they are fine,
but in the built up towns you often get them missing turns and all
sorts. One guy said to me in a broken English, I blame all this
satellite TV for interfering with them.
I did think about trying to explain how the two would not affect each
other
but just nodded instead.
is it me or have people nowadays simply got no technical knowledge of
how
stuff works or how it does not work?
When I was young I always tried to grasp concepts if nothing else.
Brian

The problem is largely because all of this marvellous Tech is a 'done
deal' that the Millenials just take for granted as a part of daily life,
using it for distractions like social media and TV adverts and
entertainment.

This phenomenon is not restricted to just Millenials. They just
demonstrate the effect to an even greater extreme than most of our own
generation whose main distraction was TV entertainment (and advertising).

Civilisation is currently going to Hell in a hand basket, just like
*every* other civilisation before. We're, all of us (including our
"Golden Rulers") simply going along for the ride and there's almost
nothing we can do about it other than to make the best of it.

--
Johnny B Good
Old February 16th 18, 08:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:
The problem is largely because all of this marvellous Tech is a 'done
deal' that the Millenials just take for granted as a part of daily life,
using it for distractions like social media and TV adverts and
entertainment.

This phenomenon is not restricted to just Millenials. They just
demonstrate the effect to an even greater extreme than most of our own
generation whose main distraction was TV entertainment (and advertising).

Civilisation is currently going to Hell in a hand basket, just like
*every* other civilisation before. We're, all of us (including our
"Golden Rulers") simply going along for the ride and there's almost
nothing we can do about it other than to make the best of it.

What I've done about it was to try and teach as many students as possible,
write books, magazine articles, etc, about science and how technology
works. Sadly, as you say, many don't even want to know, and some prefer
their myths. But some people *do* want to know - even at the risk of
realising some of their wishfully-held beliefs are myths.

Old February 16th 18, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Bah humbug. Its being inquisitive and having a sense of wonder and wanting
to know more that surely makes life worth living. Though not everyone can
write computer code, knowing how it works is surely an imperative these
days.
A friend of mine says there is hope yet, apparently a10 year old girl is so
into the tech that she is writing her own mobile apps and publishing them
already.
I've never written an app, but apparently its getting easier, a bit like
assembling electronic Lego bricks.
help.

Old February 16th 18, 11:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Barclay Weir

On 15/02/18 21:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
I ride in a lot of taxis, and am often amused by the sat nav that many of
the non English drivers seem to use. In the country they are fine, but in
the built up towns you often get them missing turns and all sorts. One guy
said to me in a broken English, I blame all this satellite TV for
interfering with them.
I did think about trying to explain how the two would not affect each other
but just nodded instead.
is it me or have people nowadays simply got no technical knowledge of how
stuff works or how it does not work?
When I was young I always tried to grasp concepts if nothing else.
Brian
😊

Yes - but don't ask how his "Green" energy supplier separates and
filters out the nuclear generated electricity from the wind generated
electricity before delivering it to his house. 😊
Old February 16th 18, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Barclay Weir" wrote in message
[...]

You mean you've not kept up to date with the new filters that greenies can
have fitted to their electricity meters which filter out the man-made
nuclear and coal-fired electrons from the natural wind-powered, and
hydroelectric and solar-powered electrons. Every electron is tagged with a
"man-made/natural" flag which makes it so easy to separate them. :-)

The worry is that some greenies might read this and believe it really *is*
possible ;-)

Old February 16th 18, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 16/02/18 12:28, Barclay Weir wrote:
Yes - but don't ask how his "Green" energy supplier separates and
filters out the nuclear generated electricity from the wind generated
electricity before delivering it to his house. 😊

That isn't so much a lack of knowledge about infrastructure, but more
the result in the belief that the market is the solution to all ill, so
a consumer market had to be created in an industry where there was no
natural consumer market.

Old February 16th 18, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , NY
wrote:
"Barclay Weir" wrote in message
On 15/02/18 21:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
I ride in a lot of taxis, and am often amused by the sat nav that many
of the non English drivers seem to use. In the country they are fine,
but in the built up towns you often get them missing turns and all
sorts. One guy said to me in a broken English, I blame all this
satellite TV for interfering with them. I did think about trying to
explain how the two would not affect each other but just nodded
instead. is it me or have people nowadays simply got no technical
knowledge of how stuff works or how it does not work? When I was young
I always tried to grasp concepts if nothing else. Brian #

Yes - but don't ask how his "Green" energy supplier separates and
filters out the nuclear generated electricity from the wind generated
electricity before delivering it to his house. #

You mean you've not kept up to date with the new filters that greenies
can have fitted to their electricity meters which filter out the
man-made nuclear and coal-fired electrons from the natural wind-powered,
and hydroelectric and solar-powered electrons. Every electron is tagged
with a "man-made/natural" flag which makes it so easy to separate them.
:-)

I imagine these filters are, necessarily, very expensive - Russ Andrews'
prices?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 16th 18, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 15/02/2018 21:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
is it me or have people nowadays simply got no technical knowledge of how
stuff works or how it does not work?
When I was young I always tried to grasp concepts if nothing else.

Me likewise, and not just when young. I think, sadly, that the phrase of Arthur C Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" applies here. Most people find modern devices simply unfathomable and thus like magic and they have effectively given up trying to understand them. This is such a pity.

Some years ago when SatNav systems first came out, a senior lecturer in my university's science faculty said she didn't want to have one because she didn't want her car's movements to be tracked. I explained that GPS units only received satellite signals and didn't transmit. (Of course, now we do have mobile-phone network linked systems for which the tracking fear is more justified, but we didn't then.)

--
Clive Page
Old February 16th 18, 04:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Bob Latham
wrote:

You mean you've not kept up to date with the new filters that greenies
can have fitted to their electricity meters which filter out the
man-made nuclear and coal-fired electrons from the natural
wind-powered, and hydroelectric and solar-powered electrons. Every
electron is tagged with a "man-made/natural" flag which makes it so
easy to separate them. :-)

The worry is that some greenies might read this and believe it really
*is* possible ;-)

Could not agree more. Total insanity, how do they get away with this
rubbish.

Well, it would be similar insanity to assume all the electrons emerging
from your wall socket came from the company who send you the quarterly
bill, green or not. So this is a "depends what you mean by" argument

AIUI the principle is that the company you pay has to provide the amount
of energy its users take. The grid sets out to monitor and require this.
Quite what they do - regardless of the company - when caught short, is
an open question.

however...

We need energy and to me nuclear fision is the only viable
option before fusion which will always be 20+ years away.

I take a more mixed view. That renewables are a useful addition to the mix.
That pro tem, yes, we probably need to use fission power. And that in the
end we'll probably either have to limit our power useage or get fusion.

As for the fusion timescale, we're winning if it now down to 20 years away!
It always used to be 50 years away. :-)

I'm currently waiting to see what happens to some of the new novel small
scale tokomacs, etc.