Channel 20 Drama doesn't use whole screen

Old February 9th 18, 07:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Default Channel 20 Drama doesn't use whole screen

Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture. So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 9th 18, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil[_7_]

On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture. So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

I'm on Freesat and as far as I can tell, some programmes originally made
in 4:3 are broadcast in this stupid format on Drama.

--
Phil
Liverpool, UK
Old February 9th 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Phil wrote:
On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture. So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

I'm on Freesat and as far as I can tell, some programmes originally made
in 4:3 are broadcast in this stupid format on Drama.

Is it supposed to be nostalgic or something?! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 9th 18, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Unsteadyken

In article , says...
Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

Watching New Tricks now and that is full screen, no borders.
Old February 10th 18, 07:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

New tricks is relatively new though compared with some of the stuff they put
out It has AD as well.

Mind you only the first couple of seasons were worth watching in my view.

"Unsteadyken" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Old February 10th 18, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 10 February 2018 08:51:06 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
They are missing a trick here, they could have scrolling adverts in the
gaps!
Brian

Some channels do - e.g. the abominable Starz TV. Some $ky channels have active borders, plus several news channels have tickers along the bottom.

Old February 10th 18, 11:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 08:51:06 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
They are missing a trick here, they could have scrolling adverts in the
gaps!
Brian

Some channels do - e.g. the abominable Starz TV. Some $ky channels have
active borders, plus several news channels have tickers along the bottom.

Jeeze

That's annoying enough on BBC News

but on a normal channel!

God help us

tim

Old February 10th 18, 01:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 09/02/2018 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture. So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

I,
I've just tried it on Freeview (Saturday am) and it was a 4:3 aspect but
full height as normal. Same on both a Hitachi PVR (Vestel) and the TV's
inbuilt tuner (Vestel).
--
Dave W