Channel 20 Drama doesn't use whole screen

Old February 10th 18, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Channel 20 Drama doesn't use whole screen

On Saturday, 10 February 2018 08:53:22 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do they transmit a tiny fading spot in the middle when the programs end? :-)

And the National Anthem followed by weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .....

Owain

Old February 10th 18, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 10/02/18 12:16, tim... wrote:

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 08:51:06 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
They are missing a trick here, they could have scrolling adverts in the
gaps!
Brian

Some channels do - e.g. the abominable Starz TV. Some $ky channels have
active borders, plus several news channels have tickers along the bottom.

Jeeze

That's annoying enough on BBC News

but on a normal channel!

God help us

Another use for masking tape! :-)

--

Jeff
Old February 10th 18, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

This happens on Horror, as well. I assumed that this was the result of
not rescaling 525 line video recordings, and simply using their native
resolution.
Old February 10th 18, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 09/02/2018 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture. So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

are you sure they are not simply showing legacy 14:9 shows in that format?
from memory lots of tv shows in the days of analogue were that way with
the makers saying they were future proofing for when widescreen
broadcasts started.
if so your set should have a 14:9 mode.
Old February 10th 18, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

David Woolley wrote:
On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

This happens on Horror, as well. I assumed that this was the result of
not rescaling 525 line video recordings, and simply using their native
resolution.

But the Lynley program I had the problem with is surely UK originated.

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 11th 18, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 09/02/2018 21:32, Phil wrote:
On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system.* We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture.* So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

I'm on Freesat and as far as I can tell, some programmes originally made
in 4:3 are broadcast in this stupid format on Drama.

Which programmes?

I record the repeats of "The Bill" (currently Season 15, 1999, on Drama)
and they are displayed correctly, centred on the screen and reaching its
upper and lower edges. Same for Sky.
Old February 11th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 10/02/2018 11:59, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 10 February 2018 08:51:06 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
They are missing a trick here, they could have scrolling adverts in the
gaps!
Brian

Some channels do - e.g. the abominable Starz TV. Some $ky channels have active borders, plus several news channels have tickers along the bottom.

Did you ever see "The Simpsons Movie"?

"Phil" wrote in message
On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax PVR.

It's not just too tall or too wide, there's a black band all round the
displayed picture. So, even if preserving the screen proportions the
picture could be displayed larger.

Is this normal or is something configured wrong?

I'm on Freesat and as far as I can tell, some programmes originally made
in 4:3 are broadcast in this stupid format on Drama.

--
Phil
Liverpool, UK