A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Streaming dongle choice, or ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 9th 18, 12:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access
All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The most
suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about using a
streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about which I know
very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody here
can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate
some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an internet
adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.

It looks as though a refurbished Humax, at £117, would do what I want,
and would also be able to record programmes.

At the moment, the Humax looks the better bet.

Any constructive comments welcome.

--
Davey.

Ads
  #2  
Old February 9th 18, 04:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 01:01:37 +0000, Davey
wrote:

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are 75. Plus I would need an internet
adaptor for the new one, which is 60 alone.


The new Fire TV box (the diamond shaped pendant version) is currently
on offer at 59.99gbp. The ethernet adaptor is only 13.99ukp, but the
box has wi-fi capability built in, so depending on local circumstances
it may work perfectly well without the adaptor. There would be nothing
to stop you trying out the box with wi-fi and only going for the extra
cost of the adaptor if it turns out to be necessary, which it might
very well not.

There are lots of secondhand fire TV boxes and sticks on Ebay; you
could be lucky there.

Rod.
  #3  
Old February 9th 18, 07:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,307
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On 09/02/2018 01:01, Davey wrote:
Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access
All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The most
suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about using a
streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about which I know
very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody here
can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate
some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an internet
adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.

It looks as though a refurbished Humax, at £117, would do what I want,
and would also be able to record programmes.

At the moment, the Humax looks the better bet.

Any constructive comments welcome.

The reviews of the FVP-4000T are not wonderful.
For catch-up TV, I bought a second hand BT Youview box from ebay and set
it up after a Factory Reset. You don't need a BT internet service to use
it (I haven't) and apart from the inability to record catch-up
programmes I haven't found any major drawbacks.

Worth a look, I reckon.

Jim

  #4  
Old February 9th 18, 07:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 573
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

Davey wrote:

flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access All4

Tried an android emulator running under linux, with the All4 app installed?
  #5  
Old February 9th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 05:43:07 +0000
Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 01:01:37 +0000, Davey
wrote:

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an
internet adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.


The new Fire TV box (the diamond shaped pendant version) is currently
on offer at 59.99gbp. The ethernet adaptor is only 13.99ukp, but the
box has wi-fi capability built in, so depending on local circumstances
it may work perfectly well without the adaptor. There would be nothing
to stop you trying out the box with wi-fi and only going for the extra
cost of the adaptor if it turns out to be necessary, which it might
very well not.

There are lots of secondhand fire TV boxes and sticks on Ebay; you
could be lucky there.

Rod.


Thanks, I'll take a look.

--
Davey.

  #6  
Old February 9th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:22:24 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 09/02/2018 01:01, Davey wrote:
Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to
access All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The
most suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about
using a streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about
which I know very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody
here can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would
appreciate some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an
internet adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.

It looks as though a refurbished Humax, at £117, would do what I
want, and would also be able to record programmes.

At the moment, the Humax looks the better bet.

Any constructive comments welcome.

The reviews of the FVP-4000T are not wonderful.
For catch-up TV, I bought a second hand BT Youview box from ebay and
set it up after a Factory Reset. You don't need a BT internet service
to use it (I haven't) and apart from the inability to record catch-up
programmes I haven't found any major drawbacks.

Worth a look, I reckon.

Jim


Thanks, a good thought.

--
Davey.

  #7  
Old February 9th 18, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 08:49:59 +0000
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access All4

Tried an android emulator running under linux, with the All4 app
installed?


You are speaking Greek, as far as I am concerned! But thanks for the
thought.

--
Davey.
  #8  
Old February 9th 18, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 10:47:59 +0100
Martin wrote:

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 01:01:37 +0000, Davey
wrote:

Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access
All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The most
suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about using a
streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about which I
know very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody
here can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would
appreciate some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an
internet adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.

It looks as though a refurbished Humax, at £117, would do what I
want, and would also be able to record programmes.

At the moment, the Humax looks the better bet.

Any constructive comments welcome.


Some years ago, I bought a refurbished Humax STB for £65 and
discovered that you can record one channel at a time by plugging in
an external hard disk. The user interface and software is identical
to our Humax PVR, HUMAX HDR-1100S


A good thought, thanks. Worth a look.

--
Davey.

  #9  
Old February 9th 18, 11:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 573
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

Davey wrote:

You are speaking Greek, as far as I am concerned! But thanks for the
thought.


Sorry, too easy to assume someone running linux knows how to install an
emulator ... it would give you a virtual android tablet inside your PC,
which would probably run the All4 android app.


  #10  
Old February 9th 18, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Undrill[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On 09/02/2018 01:01, Davey wrote:
Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access
All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The most
suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about using a
streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about which I know
very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody here
can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate
some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an internet
adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.

It looks as though a refurbished Humax, at £117, would do what I want,
and would also be able to record programmes.

At the moment, the Humax looks the better bet.

Any constructive comments welcome.

A Now TV box at around £20 may be of interest. I got one for £12 a year
or so ago with 2 months of $ky cinema included. I watched a couple of
the films and then cancelled $ky cinema. I still use the box for
iPlayer, All4, ITVHub etc.

--
Mark
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.