COM 7 off again for Sonys at Emley Moor

Old February 6th 18, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default COM 7 off again for Sonys at Emley Moor

Could Sony TV owners please check (EPG) channels 107 to 111. If there's
no reception could you note the transmitter if known (or your rough
location) and the time, and post the info here? I'm wondering if other
transmitters are involved.

Old February 6th 18, 08:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham C

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 21:14:32 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Could Sony TV owners please check (EPG) channels 107 to 111. If there's
no reception could you note the transmitter if known (or your rough
location) and the time, and post the info here? I'm wondering if other
transmitters are involved.

Bill

Ok in Bristol from Mendip, Bill

(six-year old Sonia Bravia)

GrahamC
Old February 6th 18, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

Could Sony TV owners please check (EPG) channels 107 to 111. If there's
no reception could you note the transmitter if known (or your rough
location) and the time, and post the info here? I'm wondering if other
transmitters are involved.

Bill

Ok in Bristol from Mendip, Bill

(six-year old Sonia Bravia)

GrahamC

Thanks Graham. It's still off from Emley.

Old February 7th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bob Latham wrote:

all 5 Sony tvs have lost COM7

surprised DTG (or whoever it is these days) can't simulate the long
guard band change and test it against the STB/IDTV "zoo".
Old February 7th 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andy Burns wrote:

surprised DTG (or whoever it is these days) can't simulate the long
guard band change and test it against the STB/IDTV "zoo".

s/band/interval
Old February 7th 18, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/02/2018 17:31, Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Could Sony TV owners please check (EPG) channels 107 to 111. If there's
no reception could you note the transmitter if known (or your rough
location) and the time, and post the info here? I'm wondering if other
transmitters are involved.

Yes I can confirm this at Sutton Coldfield.

COM 8 still OK but COM 7 has gone no sign of it even after a re-tune.

You'll need to re-tune again when it's back. It's back now from Emley.

I also notice that the Local mux C29 from Brierley Hill has also vanished for
all Sony TVs. Both of these muxes are fine on the Humax PVR.

That's odd.

Bill

Bob.

Old February 7th 18, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/02/2018 17:39, Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Latham wrote:

all 5 Sony tvs have lost COM7

surprised DTG (or whoever it is these days) can't simulate the long
guard band change and test it against the STB/IDTV "zoo".

I don't think this is to do with GI if that is what you're suggesting. I've
seen either com7 or com8 or both with 1/16 GI and working fine just last week.

Who do we tell and how, any suggestions?

Complain to Freeview. Their website has a contact us link.

Old February 8th 18, 07:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Latham wrote:

all 5 Sony tvs have lost COM7

surprised DTG (or whoever it is these days) can't simulate the long
guard band change and test it against the STB/IDTV "zoo".

I don't think this is to do with GI if that is what you're suggesting. I've
seen either com7 or com8 or both with 1/16 GI and working fine just last week.

Who do we tell and how, any suggestions?

I don't think it's a GI thing, but the change has triggered the problem
off. The most affected people seem to be Sony and Panny users of Emley.
I've seen reports from the more sensible folk on Digital Spy and one
chap has no problems with Belmont, but Emley is (or was) dead. Also
Crosspool was dead, I don't know whether for COM 7 that's line fed, or
RBL Emley (if the latter than that's not surprising)

Also the SI data tables are now huge on both COM 7 and 8, (because
all transmitters are no configured in preparation for the SFN working)
so that's causing some PVR recordings to fail.

I've tried two routes I have into the BBC and Arqiva, both have drawn
blanks at present.

--
Mark
Old February 8th 18, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 08/02/2018 08:49, Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

I don't think it's a GI thing, but the change has triggered the problem
off. The most affected people seem to be Sony and Panny users of Emley.
I've seen reports from the more sensible folk on Digital Spy and one
chap has no problems with Belmont, but Emley is (or was) dead. Also
Crosspool was dead, I don't know whether for COM 7 that's line fed, or
RBL Emley (if the latter than that's not surprising)

Also the SI data tables are now huge on both COM 7 and 8, (because
all transmitters are no configured in preparation for the SFN working)
so that's causing some PVR recordings to fail.

I've tried two routes I have into the BBC and Arqiva, both have drawn
blanks at present.

Thanks Mark. Bill says Emley is back on again now but when I went to bed
last night COM7 on Sutton was just not there to all Sony TVs. Is this
something temporary or are we seeing the first steps into something which
will break all of the TVs?

Emley burst back into life again yesterday at 2pm. You're the only
person I've seen (to date) who has had problems on Sutton Coldfield [1],
though some of your neighbours in Waltham-land have lost COM 7 since
they ran a rescan yesterday where COM 5 and 8 have swapped places. (COM
7 hasn't moved there (yet !))

[1] I'm not suggesting you're alone, but the overall lack of outrage
does indicate how tiny the use of COM 7 and 8 actually is.

--
Mark
Old February 8th 18, 08:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark Carver wrote:

some of your neighbours in Waltham-land have lost COM 7 since
they ran a rescan yesterday where COM 5 and 8 have swapped places. (COM
7 hasn't moved there (yet !))

Zero publicity received about that one here, no on-screen pop-ups etc,
sure enough turned on [Samsung] TV this morning, and the COM8 channels
weren't available, though a re-scan got them back.

And the first thing the box displayed *after* I had re-scanned? A
message from BBC1 SD saying "Missing channels? retune your TV or box"
and a link to http://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges

So it seems that people who tend to stick to HD channels, won't have
seen the messages on the SD channels telling them they'll need to
re-tune to keep receiving the HD channels ... brilliant!