COM 7 off again for Sonys at Emley Moor

Old February 8th 18, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default COM 7 off again for Sonys at Emley Moor

On 08/02/2018 09:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

some of your neighbours in Waltham-land have lost COM 7 since
they ran a rescan yesterday where COM 5 and 8 have swapped places.* (COM
7 hasn't moved there (yet !))

Zero publicity received about that one here, no on-screen pop-ups etc,
sure enough turned on [Samsung] TV this morning, and the COM8 channels
weren't available, though a re-scan got them back.

And the first thing the box displayed *after* I had re-scanned? A
message from BBC1 SD saying "Missing channels? retune your TV or box"
and a link to http://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges

So it seems that people who tend to stick to HD channels, won't have
seen the messages on the SD channels telling them they'll need to
re-tune to keep receiving the HD channels ... brilliant!

They do clever tricks with the SI data and UHF allocation tables, so
that they can target (down sometimes to relay stations) which
transmitters get an MHEG pop up, and which don't.

Presumably, because the HD muxes are macro-regional (and COM 7/8 now
national) they can't do that.

I agree, it's not very helpful. What's wrong with a good old fashioned
announcement and caption after the weather forecast etc !

--
Mark
Old February 8th 18, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 08/02/2018 09:32, Andy Burns wrote:

So it seems that people who tend to stick to HD channels, won't have
seen the messages on the SD channels telling them they'll need to
re-tune to keep receiving the HD channels ... brilliant!

Apparently also yesterday, Waltham's NIT was not updated correctly,
and it still had Ch 56 tagged as a DVB-T service, and Ch 37 still as
DVB-T2, so no wonder some receivers ignored both muxes.

Less than impressive all round really isn't it !?

--
Mark
Old February 8th 18, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark Carver wrote:

Waltham's NIT was not updated correctly,
and it still had Ch 56 tagged as a DVB-T service, and Ch 37 still as
DVB-T2, so no wonder some receivers ignored both muxes.

Certainly mine just displayed "no/weak signal" rather than picking any
channel from the swapped muxes. But I put that down to the
ONID/TSID/SID bearing no relation to what it was expecting to find on
that channel.

Old February 8th 18, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 08/02/2018 11:54, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

Waltham's NIT was not updated correctly,
and it still had Ch 56 tagged as a DVB-T service, and Ch 37 still as
DVB-T2, so no wonder some receivers ignored both muxes.

Certainly mine just displayed "no/weak signal" rather than picking any
channel from the swapped muxes.* But I put that down to the
ONID/TSID/SID bearing no relation to what it was expecting to find on
that channel.

I don't know about Ofcom and DCMS wanting to kill DTT off as soon as
possible, they may as well just sit back and let Arqiva and the
broadcasters do the job for them !

--
Mark
Old February 8th 18, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mark Carver wrote:

I don't know about Ofcom and DCMS wanting to kill DTT off as soon as
possible, they may as well just sit back and let Arqiva and the
broadcasters do the job for them !

I was going to comment earlier that we seem to be past the point where
the Arqiva/whoever any longer give a toss ...
Old February 8th 18, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:

[1] I'm not suggesting you're alone, but the overall lack of outrage
does indicate how tiny the use of COM 7 and 8 actually is.

Or, perhaps, that most people affected have no idea of the cause or who
they should raise the matter with.

Sometimes these things seem to be like magic. A few days ago BBC Radio
Scotland here were carrying Radio 4 despite carrying the RS tags. At
another point they were silent. Later on, back to normal. No idea why, but
the behaviour went as mysteriously as it appeared.

Old February 8th 18, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/02/2018 08:57, Mark Carver wrote:

[1] I'm not suggesting you're alone, but the overall lack of outrage
does indicate how tiny the use of COM 7 and 8 actually is.

It's surprising to me, that, because I use them a lot.

Old February 9th 18, 12:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 11:48:18 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Less than impressive all round really isn't it !?

They should get an expert to run the show!
Old February 9th 18, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

wrote:

Less than impressive all round really isn't it !?

They should get an expert to run the show!

The whole 700 MHz thing does appear to be a bit of a dog's breakfast,
I'm not sure who is leading it, but it's lacking any of the publicity
that DSO 2008-12 had.

--
Mark
Old February 9th 18, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
They should get an expert to run the show!

The whole 700 MHz thing does appear to be a bit of a dog's breakfast,
I'm not sure who is leading it, but it's lacking any of the publicity
that DSO 2008-12 had.

The previous 'publicity' was successful in the sense that it provide cover
for allowing most people who were affected to assume their receiving
equipment was to blame. So they called in a local 'TV bloke' or switched to
satellite, etc, without being aware that - in theory - a free filter might
fix it.i.e. "success" equated to 'no one complained because they didn't
realise the cause or who to complain to'. I suspect that time around they
were wary that the press might take it up as a cause.

So they are just doing the same, I guess. But this time may not bother at
all to publicise what's happening. There was no fuss in the press last
time, so they can presume there won't be now. How to boil a frog...