Always check the cables.....

Old January 30th 18, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Holmes

Default Always check the cables.....

That’s what my mentor said.....

We recently had a coax outlet installed “Professionally”

My wife said “Why doesn’t the TV work?”

I laughted (we had just watched a programme, but apparently that was via IPlayer).

So, I went and took the loft ladder down and did various continuity tests, etc and THOUGHT I’d found a problem with the coax outlet (perhaps I should have tried a different ohms setting on the multimeter) so took it to bits.

Couldn’t see anything wrong....

Then my wife said live TV was working on the YouView box, just not on the TV - Sigh!

Did some more checking, but the TV was still showing “Chanel not found, delete Chanel?”

Deleted Chanel, everything working!

Sigh!
Old January 30th 18, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 30/01/18 12:02, Chris Holmes wrote:
That’s what my mentor said.....

We recently had a coax outlet installed “Professionally”

My wife said “Why doesn’t the TV work?”

I laughted (we had just watched a programme, but apparently that was via IPlayer).

So, I went and took the loft ladder down and did various continuity tests, etc and THOUGHT I’d found a problem with the coax outlet (perhaps I should have tried a different ohms setting on the multimeter) so took it to bits.

Couldn’t see anything wrong....

Then my wife said live TV was working on the YouView box, just not on the TV - Sigh!

Did some more checking, but the TV was still showing “Chanel not found, delete Chanel?”

Deleted Chanel, everything working!

I'm not sure which one wasn't found, but was it No.5 by any chance? ;-)

--

Jeff
Old January 30th 18, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 12:45:25 PM UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 30/01/18 12:02, Chris Holmes wrote:
That’s what my mentor said.....

We recently had a coax outlet installed “Professionally”

My wife said “Why doesn’t the TV work?”

I laughted (we had just watched a programme, but apparently that was via IPlayer).

So, I went and took the loft ladder down and did various continuity tests, etc and THOUGHT I’d found a problem with the coax outlet (perhaps I should have tried a different ohms setting on the multimeter) so took it to bits.

Couldn’t see anything wrong....

Then my wife said live TV was working on the YouView box, just not on the TV - Sigh!

Did some more checking, but the TV was still showing “Chanel not found, delete Chanel?”

Deleted Chanel, everything working!

I'm not sure which one wasn't found, but was it No.5 by any chance? ;-)

--

Jeff

It didn't say which, just the message shown above (which we misinterpretted as a signal problem) (It was just coincidence that we saw that message for the first time the day we first tried to use the new coax socket).
Old January 30th 18, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

wrote in message
[...]

;-)

--

Jeff

It didn't say which, just the message shown above (which we
misinterpretted as a signal problem) (It was just coincidence that we
saw that message for the first time the day we first tried to use the
new coax socket).

If your TV has an HD tuner then it was likely BBC4HD which was shifted
from Com7 to Com8 a week or so ago and in most cases would need a
retune.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 30th 18, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 1:36:09 PM UTC, Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
(Chris Holmes) wrote:

We recently had a coax outlet installed _Professionally_

We had that once - worse cable than Bill's "class D" stuff, and knotted....
yes, knotted, round a joist before feeding out to the loft-based 7
element wideband aerial.

Which was pointing east from SW Basingstoke!

Funnily enough we couldn't get TV signal from it.

Replaced the cable with WF125 throughout, fed out through the eaves to an
18 element C/D aerial pointing at Hannington. Lo, the miracle of spending
£40 on doing it properly.

Don't live there any more, but the new owners haven't changed anything.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

It was just the outlet we had done in this case to an existing downlead I fitted some time back which connects to an ancient roof mounted aerial (via an active amp/splitter in the loft).

The electrician had made a fiar fist of it, and it does work, but the design of it means the connection to the shield is haphazard at best.

It does reming me, I must make up / find some home made flyleads made with decent cable.
Old January 30th 18, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Chris Holmes" wrote in message
That’s what my mentor said.....

We recently had a coax outlet installed “Professionally”

My wife said “Why doesn’t the TV work?”

I laughted (we had just watched a programme, but apparently that was via
IPlayer).

So, I went and took the loft ladder down and did various continuity tests,
etc and THOUGHT I’d found a problem with the coax outlet (perhaps I should
have tried a different ohms setting on the multimeter) so took it to
bits.

One little old lady called me out to a freshly delivered new Philips mono TV
that couldn't scan any channels.

Clearly if I took the back off to investigate, she'd lose her warranty. so I
started asking questions, apparently the old TV had sort of been working, so
the aerial should be OK.

In the end I examined the aerial lead anyway - the tiny clamp screw for the
inner conductor had worked loose and was shorting to the plug shell.

I threw the screw away and crimpled the solid inner conductor so it cant not
make contact - with the set tuned in to all the available channels, she
eagerly handed me my standard fee.

She was almost a regular customer - her B&W portable went all wavy, so she
thumped it - and it went dead.

The PCBs enclosed the back of the CRT and the PSU board was upside down. The
TO5 style driver to the series pass transistor was running hot enough to
melt the solder - it fell out when she thumped the set. The cause was a
pretty much open circuit reservoir electrolytic.

Old January 30th 18, 11:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 30/01/2018 21:29, Ian Field wrote:

In the end I examined the aerial lead anyway - the tiny clamp screw for
the inner conductor had worked loose and was shorting to the plug shell.

There was a rash of these about ten years ago. Well, similar anyway. If
there was a 1mm coaxial inner present for the screw to tighten to the
screw head rubbed on the barrel. These plugs caused utter chaos!