How to identify a good (low-loss) aerial lead

Old February 1st 18, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How to identify a good (low-loss) aerial lead

On 01/02/2018 08:23, Indy Jess John wrote:

It might not be perfect according to a professional satellite finder,
but it had proved to be good enough ever since.

You could refine it a bit by temporarily putting a piece of card over
the LNB mouth to reduce the signal then making even finer adjustments.
Also it's good to set the polarisation offset at the same time.

Old February 1st 18, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 01/02/2018 10:33, Bill Wright wrote:
On 01/02/2018 08:23, Indy Jess John wrote:

It might not be perfect according to a professional satellite finder,
but it had proved to be good enough ever since.

You could refine it a bit by temporarily putting a piece of card over
the LNB mouth to reduce the signal then making even finer adjustments.
Also it's good to set the polarisation offset at the same time.

Bill

I did do the polarisation offset. I looked up what it should be, and
the LNB had a + and a - and some graduation marks I identified the one
I wanted the a felt tip pen and assembled the LNB in its holder at its
appropriate offset as I put the dish and brackets together. (The
instructions were pretty good because they covered how to set the
polarisation)

Since then I have changed the TV, bought a FreeSat PVR and changed the
LNB for a 4-outlet one to feed everything.

Old February 1st 18, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 01/02/2018 08:23, Indy Jess John wrote:

It might not be perfect according to a professional satellite finder,
but it had proved to be good enough ever since.

You could refine it a bit by temporarily putting a piece of card over
the LNB mouth to reduce the signal then making even finer adjustments.
Also it's good to set the polarisation offset at the same time.

Interesting to see how widespread that trick is. :-)

At about 100 GHz one of the old FORTRAN computer cards has a loss of about
0.1 dB. So we used to be able to 'dial up' an attenuation using a suitable
stack of unused punch cards. :-)