When is an arial not an aerial?

Old January 23rd 18, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default When is an arial not an aerial?

I do PC support for people. One of my customers asked me to set up a TV
while I was there, because he couldn't make it work.

I was shown a Belling Lee wall socket with a double-male Belling Lee lead
which went from there into the TV's aerial socket. There was also a Sky box
with a lead that was not plugged in, and a VCR/DVD.

I found the TV's scanning menu and did a scan. Absolutely nothing found :-(

Something made me look at the Sky box which had an F-connector on one end of
the lead and a Belling Lee on the other. I tried that in the wall socket,
with the TV set to take input from a SCART lead to the Sky box. Bingo!

So the satellite dish had been connected to a Belling Lee wall socket that
is normally (though evidently not exclusively!) used for terrestrial aerial
feed.

I'll remember that one - it won't catch me out again!

Old January 23rd 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/01/2018 15:46, NY wrote:

When it's Helvetica?

--
Max Demian
Old January 23rd 18, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/01/2018 15:46, NY wrote:

When it's Helvetica?

Ha ha. I suppose my typo "arial" rather than "aerial" did rather ask for
that one!

Old January 23rd 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

ERm, I was going to say when its built into a motor home.

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/01/2018 15:46, NY wrote:

When it's Helvetica?

--
Max Demian

Old January 23rd 18, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Luckily my screenreader does not spell.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...

Old January 23rd 18, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/01/2018 15:46, NY wrote:
I do PC support for people. One of my customers asked me to set up a TV
while I was there, because he couldn't make it work.

I was shown a Belling Lee wall socket with a double-male Belling Lee
lead which went from there into the TV's aerial socket. There was also a
Sky box with a lead that was not plugged in, and a VCR/DVD.

I found the TV's scanning menu and did a scan. Absolutely nothing found :-(

Something made me look at the Sky box which had an F-connector on one
end of the lead and a Belling Lee on the other. I tried that in the wall
socket, with the TV set to take input from a SCART lead to the Sky box.
Bingo!

So the satellite dish had been connected to a Belling Lee wall socket
that is normally (though evidently not exclusively!) used for
terrestrial aerial feed.

I'll remember that one - it won't catch me out again!

It's a real money spinner.