Aerial cables (other than the goat aspect)

Old January 24th 18, 02:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Aerial cables (other than the goat aspect)

On 24/01/2018 01:41, Graham. wrote:

When I was a kid I lived near the Manchester & Bury railway line (now
part of Metrolink). The station approach to the local station formed a
shortcut to the main road, and there was a wire fence ether side, the
kind with galvanised wire and ratchet tentioners at intervals. Me and
my friend attached our crystal set aerial to the wire with a croc-clip
to see if we could pick up anything, the station-master came running
up to us convinced we were electrifying the fence.

I'm afraid that we used to phone tap the wires that ran alongside the
East Coast Main Line, and sometimes connect to two at once so we could
hear the signalmen swearing about the crossed line.

Old February 3rd 18, 01:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On 24/01/2018 01:41, Graham. wrote:

When I was a kid I lived near the Manchester & Bury railway line (now
part of Metrolink). The station approach to the local station formed a
shortcut to the main road, and there was a wire fence ether side, the
kind with galvanised wire and ratchet tentioners at intervals. Me and
my friend attached our crystal set aerial to the wire with a croc-clip
to see if we could pick up anything, the station-master came running
up to us convinced we were electrifying the fence.

I'm afraid that we used to phone tap the wires that ran alongside the
East Coast Main Line, and sometimes connect to two at once so we could
hear the signalmen swearing about the crossed line.

Bill

My party trick was setting up a conference call with two BT operators
and listening in to them trying to explain to each other what had
happened.

The best one was two BT Chargecard operators in India, they were
clearly in the same call centre, one male and the other female. The
male was senior to the female, probably her supervisor.
Each thought the other had called them, but obviously both denied this

Office politics and cultural considerations then conspired, and the
superior agent gave the lady a humiliating dressing down.
Asian call centres must be **** to work in, and whenever I read those
"Modern Slavery" policy statements that UK companies like to expound,
I think of that incident.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old February 3rd 18, 05:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Graham. wrote:

whenever I read those "Modern Slavery" policy statements that UK
companies like

s/like/are required[1]/

to expound, I think of that incident.

[1] if their turnover exceeds £36m.