No buffering since Christmas

Old January 17th 18, 07:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default No buffering since Christmas

Dash seems to have made a positive difference to my BBC viewing on iPlayer.
Old January 18th 18, 08:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

What has?
I'm on a 200 meg virgin system and yet even radio stations seem to still
buffer particularly the bbc ones. I suspect congestion ellsewhere on the
internet.

news

Old January 18th 18, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Phi wrote:

Dash seems to have made a positive difference

What has?

DASH, which stands for Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP.

Basically the audio or video stream is sliced up into file segments of a
few seconds each, usually with several versions at different codecs,
bitrates or resolutions.

Playback usually consists of the web browser requesting successive
segments, buffering them and playing out from the buffer. If your
broadband can't keep up, or you've changed from a windowed playback to
full-screen, then at a junction between segments your device can switch
to a different version, hopefully avoiding obvious gaps. The technique
works pretty well.

Youtube and iPlayer use it, presumably others too.
Old January 18th 18, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Phi wrote:

Dash seems to have made a positive difference

What has?

DASH, which stands for Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP.

Basically the audio or video stream is sliced up into file segments of a
few seconds each, usually with several versions at different codecs,
bitrates or resolutions.

Playback usually consists of the web browser requesting successive
segments, buffering them and playing out from the buffer. If your
broadband can't keep up, or you've changed from a windowed playback to
full-screen, then at a junction between segments your device can switch to
a different version, hopefully avoiding obvious gaps. The technique works
pretty well.

Youtube and iPlayer use it, presumably others too.

Yes, I forgot to mention that this 'good system' is run at full screen.
There is also no stuttering at switching between window or full screen.
Before, with Flash I would experience all sorts of problems associated with
buffering and sync. I can record either, sections or full programmes with
confidence now using my screen grabber.

Old January 18th 18, 12:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 09:06:06 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm on a 200 meg virgin system and yet even radio stations seem to still
buffer particularly the bbc ones. I suspect congestion ellsewhere on the
internet.

I'm on 110 meg Virgin and get buffering on You Tube quite often.

--
TOJ.
Old January 18th 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

The Other John wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm on a 200 meg virgin system and yet even radio stations seem to still
buffer particularly the bbc ones. I suspect congestion ellsewhere on the
internet.

I'm on 110 meg Virgin and get buffering on You Tube quite often.

I'm not on virgin, but a lot of people who complain of buffering do seem
to be (of course there are others on virgin who say they never get
buffering).
Old January 18th 18, 02:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well a number of pings would suggest that the problem is not on virgins
systems but one of the other machines it passes through. I've no idea who
owns and runs most of them as they have silly non memorable names.

Old January 21st 18, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 20:03:05 +0000, Phi wrote:

Dash seems to have made a positive difference to my BBC viewing on
iPlayer.

We still seem to get a lot of buffering on our VM Tivo box. Not sure if
this is due to the old box or something in the network. With 160 Mb/sec
download we shouldn't be short of bandwidth.

Anyone on BT Unlimited Infinity? If so, is it fine for streaming? Looking
at the current offers and it might work out cheaper than VM.

The Tivo is nice for recording programmes but other technology can do
that, and the offer at the moment is £30 a month and £30 up front
including line rental.

Our VM service is about £80 a month.

That gives a lot of scope for buying FreeSat recorders to replace the Tivo,
and if necessary a streaming device or two as well.

One cautious note - Infinity is up to 52 Mb/sec; Infinity 2 is up to 76 Mb/
sec. The BT site says we can get up to 55 Mb/sec with Infinity 2 but not
how much we can get with Infinity.

Decisions, decisions.

I will say that we have been very please with the support level from VM,
who seem to be the only outfit who don't charge for an engineer visit.
Very helpful when we put a digger through the cable when block paving the
front garden.

Cheers

Dave R

---