Freeview BBC Four HD move

Old January 14th 18, 10:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Freeview BBC Four HD move

It looks as if BBC Four HD (Freeview 106) is moving multiplex:
http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/f...ur-hd-and.html

Unfortunately http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/ is offline so I can't
confirm the details.

According to the first website, it's already available (from Jan 11) and
the current arrangement will cease after Jan 17 - the EPG says "BBC Four
HD has moved" from the 18th. This would suggest that we can retune now.
It says it will move from COM7 to COM8 (which seems a bit pointless, as
they are scheduled to move to the back of beyond in February).

Not clear how many retunes will be needed, when we should do them, or
what the effect will be.

--
Max Demian
Old January 14th 18, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Max Demian wrote:

It looks as if BBC Four HD is moving multiplex:

Maybe it's a pre-shuffle to allow them to boot something else (CBBC?)
from MUX-B to the vacated space on COM-7, so they don't get complaints
from the Londonisti loosing FOUR HD when COM-7/COM-8 move out of reach
of their group A aerials facing Crystal Palace?

Old January 14th 18, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:

It looks as if BBC Four HD is moving multiplex:

Maybe it's a pre-shuffle to allow them to boot something else (CBBC?) from
MUX-B to the vacated space on COM-7, so they don't get complaints from the
Londonisti loosing FOUR HD when COM-7/COM-8 move out of reach of their
group A aerials facing Crystal Palace?

in the medium term everyone's going to lose COM7 and 8

tim

Old January 14th 18, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

On 14/01/18 12:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

It looks as if BBC Four HD is moving multiplex:

Maybe it's a pre-shuffle to allow them to boot something else (CBBC?)
from MUX-B to the vacated space on COM-7, so they don't get complaints
from the Londonisti loosing FOUR HD when COM-7/COM-8 move out of reach
of their group A aerials facing Crystal Palace?

It's to allow the total bit-rate to be reduced on COM7 and COM8 in
preparation for them becoming SFNs.

Old January 14th 18, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 11:49:28 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

It looks as if BBC Four HD (Freeview 106) is moving multiplex:
http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/f...ur-hd-and.html

Unfortunately http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/ is offline so I can't
confirm the details.

According to the first website, it's already available (from Jan 11) and
the current arrangement will cease after Jan 17 - the EPG says "BBC Four
HD has moved" from the 18th. This would suggest that we can retune now.
It says it will move from COM7 to COM8 (which seems a bit pointless, as
they are scheduled to move to the back of beyond in February).

Not clear how many retunes will be needed, when we should do them, or
what the effect will be.

The guide on my Panasonic PVR shows no programme info from Thursday
onwards, so I guess that's when it will happen. But then that website
shows another change scheduled for 7th March from my transmitter.
Looks like we're going to be messed about for some time. Again.

Old January 14th 18, 01:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Max Demian wrote:

It looks as if BBC Four HD is moving multiplex:

Maybe it's a pre-shuffle to allow them to boot something else (CBBC?)
from MUX-B to the vacated space on COM-7, so they don't get complaints
from the Londonisti loosing FOUR HD when COM-7/COM-8 move out of reach
of their group A aerials facing Crystal Palace?

It's to allow the total bit-rate to be reduced on COM7 and COM8 in
preparation for them becoming SFNs.

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/f...ur-hd-and.html

Yes, as it states the GI is being lengthened (on both muxes) to enable
SFN working (which will start to become a requirement from next month,
as the migration of all thirty COM7/8 Tx sites to UHF 55/56 starts.
The trade off for lengthening the GI, is a reduction in available
bandwidth, hence moving BBC 4 from COM 7 to 8 to balance things out.

The COM 7 versions of BBC 4 and Cbeebies end up at LCN 794 and 795
if you run a rescan now, and the COM 8 versions end up on 106 and 205.

Be careful with PVR timer settings for BBC 4. I'd delete any, and re
enter them after you've done the rescan, or else once the COM 7 versions
have gone, you'll end up with failed recordings.

--
Mark
Old January 14th 18, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Who knows I don't watch hd, well why would I need it?
I'd like to know, specifically which sd channels will I loose using my
elderly sd only talking box come the shuffle round.

Old January 14th 18, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 14/01/2018 17:35, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd like to know, specifically which sd channels will I loose using my
elderly sd only talking box come the shuffle round.

No SD (or any other channels) are affected by this retune, just BBC 4 HD
and Cbeebies HD.

--
Mark
Old January 14th 18, 08:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 14/01/2018 14:53, Mark Carver wrote:
Be careful with PVR timer settings for BBC 4. I'd delete any, and re
enter them after you've done the rescan, or else once the COM 7 versions
have gone, you'll end up with failed recordings.

My Hummy wipes all its scheduled recordings on any retune

Andy