Freeview BBC Four HD move

Old January 22nd 18, 06:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default Freeview BBC Four HD move

On 21/01/2018 12:37, Jim Lesurf wrote:

I think they may also be planning to make more use of SFNs. But to do so,
are extending the guard interval... which of course reduces the total data
rate which can be carried. IIRC I read a comment that this was going from
1/256 to 1/16 for the T2 broadcasts to get better level of multipath
protection.

Only for COM 7 and 8, because they are becoming national SFNs.

PSB 3 is staying as is, (for the moment !)

However yes, there are more and more local SFNs appearing. As mentioned
the PSBs at Reigate and Crystal P become SFNs on March 21st, and there's
a brand new 6 mux relay in Worcester working as an SFN with Ridge Hill
from March 1

--
Mark
Old January 22nd 18, 10:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:47:59 -0000, NY wrote:

I wonder if it will involve converting some of those 6 multiplexes to DVB-T2
to gain from the higher compression available without affecting quality.

DVB-T2 is NOTHING to do with compression. It gives extra bitrate compared to
DVB-T within the same bandwidth.

(the dreaded "HD ready" marketing message that fooled so many punters!).

Only suckers buy anything labeled as "ready".
Old January 23rd 18, 03:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/01/2018 23:42, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

Only suckers buy anything labeled as "ready".

Yes, that damned oven-ready chicken flew out of the kitchen door and I
haven't seen it since!

Old January 26th 18, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 04:34:57 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Only suckers buy anything labeled as "ready".

Yes, that damned oven-ready chicken flew out of the kitchen door and I
haven't seen it since!

I think you'll find that was the dog to blame!
Old January 26th 18, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/01/2018 15:48, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 04:34:57 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Only suckers buy anything labeled as "ready".

Yes, that damned oven-ready chicken flew out of the kitchen door and I
haven't seen it since!

I think you'll find that was the dog to blame!

This is the dog that took the joint out of the fridge but kindly left
the celery...

Old January 26th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
wrote:

Only suckers buy anything labeled as "ready".

Yes, that damned oven-ready chicken flew out of the kitchen door and I
haven't seen it since!

I think you'll find that was the dog to blame!

This is the dog that took the joint out of the fridge but kindly left
the celery...

Bill

Sensible dog. Celery is vile! There are very few foodstuffs that I
dislike, but celery is top of the list.
--
John Hall
"Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history
Old January 26th 18, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"John Hall" wrote in message
In message , Bill Wright
writes
wrote:

Only suckers buy anything labeled as "ready".

Yes, that damned oven-ready chicken flew out of the kitchen door and I
haven't seen it since!
I think you'll find that was the dog to blame!

This is the dog that took the joint out of the fridge but kindly left the
celery...

Bill

Sensible dog. Celery is vile! There are very few foodstuffs that I
dislike, but celery is top of the list.

I'm just the opposite. I loathe and detest all green veg (beans, peas,
broccoli, sprouts, cabbage) but I love celery, celeriac, carrots, parsnips,
mushrooms. I think (apart from celery) I like roots rather than stalks.

If I have to eat "traditional" green veg, I like it to be boiled to buggery
so it loses that vile "green" cabbagy taste and that horrible crunchy
texture. Unfortunately my wife loves veg and thinks that a meal isn't a meal
unless it's got heaps of green veg which has barely seen boiling water or
steam. Since I had my heart attack a few years ago I need to eat green veg
for my health, but sadly my sense of taste for savoury, meaty flavours has
diminished, so every meal tastes of green and little else. Ho hum.

Old February 8th 18, 01:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 18/01/2018 16:50, Michael Chare wrote:
On 18/01/2018 13:15, Mark Carver wrote:
On 18/01/2018 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:
On 18/01/2018 08:27, Mark Carver wrote:
On 17/01/2018 22:26, Michael Chare wrote:

My computer a tells me it is channel 35
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysta...itting_station

Yes, but.....

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/93287/Q1_2018_London_Date_Release_V2.pdf

Thank you for the link I did fail to notice the 2nd change.

Have there been any estimates as to how many new aerials will be needed?

No one knows for sure

My understanding is that aerial replacement assessments schemes are
only applicable for the PSB and COM4/5/6 muxes for the 700 MHz
clearance. The biggest single area that will face disruption is Winter
Hill, where
the six main muxes are all currently in Group C/D.

COM 7 and 8 don't matter, they are temporary muxes that were originally
to be gone before 2020. The plan now is for them to be moved to a guard
band within the 700 MHz band at Ch 55/56 and converted into national
SFNs. That guard band has to go in 2022, and so will COM7/8.

Thank you.* I would argue that BBC Four HD is a public service broadcast
which I am forced to pay for!

And the Midhurst xmitter doesn't even have BBC4 HD. The kiddies, who
don't pay a tv licence have CBBC HD though ...
Old February 8th 18, 05:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/02/2018 14:21, Andrew wrote:

And the Midhurst xmitter doesn't even have BBC4 HD. The kiddies, who
don't pay a tv licence have CBBC HD though ...

It's very important that the kids get CBBC because of the constant
multiculti attitude forming that the channel provides. The younger
generation absolutely has to be made fully aware that the indigenous
population are overjoyed to have the social vibrancy that the ex-Third
World residents of the UK provide. Just think what would happen
otherwise: social unrest; riots; maybe even civil war. Unfortunately
some very ignorant parents persist in trying to brainwash their children
into believing that the problems the country has with inadequate public
infrastructure, crowded jails, schools, and hospitals, and the housing
shortage, are partly caused by the rising population. It is the BBC's
primary task to counter such reprehensible beliefs. CBBC does wonderful
work in directing our nation's children towards correct thinking.