Peoples expectations of others.

Old January 9th 18, 05:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Peoples expectations of others.

As soon as normally normal sane people learn you know abit about
electronics, yes even if now you are blind like myself, they ask you
impossible questions about things that happen to their devices.
So I was at a meeting today, and somebody asked me.
My new TV keeps making a screeching noise and the picture freezes what is
wrong with it?
I mean do I look like I have a crystal ball. I mumble to them about are you
sure its actually tuned to the right transmitter, and how many channels and
which ones do it, and of course how would they know?

Sigh
In the old days I might have volunteered to go around and do some
diagnostics, instead I said when was it purchased . Just before Christmas.
Who installed the aerial.
its been up for years, who set it up, the shop, well I said call them back
and let them sort it out, its a new set.
I suspect the next time I see her she will be moaning about having to put
up a new aerial at vast cost.

Bah humbug. Brian

Old January 9th 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when they
can't even tell you what they are.

Rod.

Old January 9th 18, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 21:49:39 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when they
can't even tell you what they are.

Rod.

If they still have TalkTalk Broadband, TalkTalk will simply replace it
for them.

Old January 9th 18, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/01/2018 21:49, Roderick Stewart wrote:
I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when they
can't even tell you what they are.

Youview boxes are virtually useless without an internet connection.

It might be worth asking if the owner had wired it into his router.

Old January 9th 18, 11:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 09/01/2018 22:18, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 09/01/2018 21:49, Roderick Stewart wrote:
I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when they
can't even tell you what they are.

Youview boxes are virtually useless without an internet connection.

We have one (with a hard-wired internet connection),but it would work
like any other 1Tb HDD Freeview PVR without the internet.

It might be worth asking if the owner had wired it into his router.

Are there any that have no recording medium? I have seen a TV like that,
but not (yet) a box.
Old January 10th 18, 12:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 10/01/18 00:50, JNugent wrote:

Are there any that have no recording medium? I have seen a TV like that,
but not (yet) a box.

Yes, both BT and TalkTalk have diskless models

e.g.

BT - DB-T2200
TalkTalk - DN360T

They have enough RAM memory in them for a live buffer of 30mins, but the
main YouView functionality needs the internet connected.

--
Adrian C
Old January 10th 18, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've
never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu
screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to
include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when
they
can't even tell you what they are.

Rod.

The TT boxes are made by Huawei. The DN360T does not have a HDD, the
DN370T has (IIRC) a 2.5" 500GB HDD. They are not a bad box, they give
good picture quality on SD and HD but they are
slllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww to do anything. If it is a DN370T and
feels a bit light the HDD may have been removed. Look for the red
security label stuck over a screw on the bottom plate forward of
centre.

You should be able to find a remote for it or, as someone else has
said, if they don't have a remote and they obtained the box from TT
then TT will replace it. Having said that these boxes have been widely
available on the used market (Cash Converters and the like) new and
boxed for some years for very little money so they many not have got
it new. With Interweb connected they work quite well on iPlayer and
the like - if you have long enough to wait!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 10th 18, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 08:37:26 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

[...]

It's marked DN370T, and the red security label appears intact, so now
I'm slightly wiser about what I'm dealing with, thanks. The box has
been passed to me (so far sans remote, though I am assured it's on its
way) via a third party so I haven't actually spoken to the owner and
have no meaningful description of what's supposed to be wrong with it.

Also in the carrier bag in which all the bits were presented was a
single Talktalk branded homeplug type device and a short ethernet
cable, so I already have suspicions that it might turn out not to be a
problem with the box itself after all. I'm sure we've all been there.
When I get the remote I think I'll just give it as full an appraisal
as possible and hand it back with appropriate advice. I can't even
find a PDF user manual online, never mind anything resembling a
service manual, so it isn't worth trying to dive deep.

Old January 10th 18, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The last one of these things I came across was wired via powerline adaptors
and would work for a bit then stop. No idea what the heck was going on and I
suspect neither would talk talk.

A friend of mine has been through about half a dozen psus for his, it
initially fixes it then fails some months on.
I suspect crap gear in the first place.

Old January 10th 18, 08:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yeah a Grundig ( who makes theese now?) TV supposedly has U view but nobody
could get it to do anything.

Be aware never buy second hand tvs any more they are probably obsolete
software wise.