Peoples expectations of others.

Old January 10th 18, 08:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Peoples expectations of others.

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 08:37:26 -0000, "Woody"

wrote:

I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've
never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu
screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to
include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just
hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by
now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when
they
can't even tell you what they are.

Rod.

The TT boxes are made by Huawei. The DN360T does not have a HDD, the
DN370T has (IIRC) a 2.5" 500GB HDD. They are not a bad box, they
give
good picture quality on SD and HD but they are
slllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww to do anything. If it is a DN370T and
feels a bit light the HDD may have been removed. Look for the red
security label stuck over a screw on the bottom plate forward of
centre.

It's marked DN370T, and the red security label appears intact, so
now
I'm slightly wiser about what I'm dealing with, thanks. The box has
been passed to me (so far sans remote, though I am assured it's on
its
way) via a third party so I haven't actually spoken to the owner and
have no meaningful description of what's supposed to be wrong with
it.

Also in the carrier bag in which all the bits were presented was a
single Talktalk branded homeplug type device and a short ethernet
cable, so I already have suspicions that it might turn out not to be
problem with the box itself after all. I'm sure we've all been
there.
When I get the remote I think I'll just give it as full an appraisal
as possible and hand it back with appropriate advice. I can't even
find a PDF user manual online, never mind anything resembling a
service manual, so it isn't worth trying to dive deep.

Concern ye not about RTFM - it is very obvious and straightforward.
However there is no manual tuning so if you have issues of dual
coverage you may have to fiddle with the aerial during auto tuning.

It will do an automatic firmware update if you instruct it so to do
from a source web site NOT the TT web site. It does not need to have
TT access to work with the likes of iPlayer.

If you need more help mail me direct - the address below is valid. I
have one of these boxes and can set it up for a play with ease.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 10th 18, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 10/01/2018 00:50, JNugent wrote:
On 09/01/2018 22:18, Indy Jess John wrote:

Youview boxes are virtually useless without an internet connection.

We have one (with a hard-wired internet connection),but it would work
like any other 1Tb HDD Freeview PVR without the internet.

That is true once it is set up, but I bought a second hand ex-BT Youview
box, and I think it needed the internet connection for configuration
from a factory reset, in order to identify which regional transmissions
it should be looking for and whether it should configure in the BT
Youview services. Once it was set up, it would work without the internet.

I have never tried the Talk Talk equivalent, but I wouldn't be surprised
to find it behaved the same.

Old January 10th 18, 12:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 10/01/2018 09:42, Roderick Stewart wrote:

When I get the remote I think I'll just give it as full an appraisal
as possible and hand it back with appropriate advice. I can't even
find a PDF user manual online, never mind anything resembling a
service manual, so it isn't worth trying to dive deep.

Rod.

I couldn't find a PDF, but I did find a couple of web pages you might
find useful (and if not you are no worse off than you are now!)
https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/about-my-talktalk-tv-box-0
http://www.8bitmammoth.com/huawei-dn...d-by-talktalk/

Good luck.

Old January 10th 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 10/01/2018 13:01, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 10/01/2018 00:50, JNugent wrote:
On 09/01/2018 22:18, Indy Jess John wrote:

Youview boxes are virtually useless without an internet connection.

We have one (with a hard-wired internet connection),but it would work
like any other 1Tb HDD Freeview PVR without the internet.

That is true once it is set up, but I bought a second hand ex-BT Youview
box, and I think it needed the internet connection for configuration
from a factory reset, in order to identify which regional transmissions
it should be looking for and whether it should configure in the BT
Youview services.* Once it was set up, it would work without the internet.

I have never tried the Talk Talk equivalent, but I wouldn't be surprised
to find it behaved the same.

The one we have is a Humax. It didn't come from a service provider; we
just bought it at Curry's.

I set it up as a bedroom PVR first (with a set-top indoor antenna) and
no internet connection and it worked perfectly (as a PVR).

It took me a day or two to get the connection to the internet router
(via a pair of mains-borne transducers) and then the internet-based
faclities became available.

Old January 11th 18, 07:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:22:01 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

When I get the remote I think I'll just give it as full an appraisal
as possible and hand it back with appropriate advice. I can't even
find a PDF user manual online, never mind anything resembling a
service manual, so it isn't worth trying to dive deep.

Rod.

I couldn't find a PDF, but I did find a couple of web pages you might
find useful (and if not you are no worse off than you are now!)
https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/about-my-talktalk-tv-box-0
http://www.8bitmammoth.com/huawei-dn...d-by-talktalk/

Good luck.

Jim

Thanks for that. It gives me slightly more info than I had before.

Having now got the remote, I was able to go through some of the
settings, and it seemed to do everything except play back previous
recordings, though excruciatingly slowly. The first time it actually
booted successfully I thought it had locked up, so I went away to make
a cup of tea, to find it had got to an opening screen of some sort
when I got back. I managed to check that iPlayer worked (slowly!) and
got the Freeview section to do a programme scan, which took ages but
came up with more stations than it already had, so I suppose that's an
improvement. Since then it hasn't completed booting up at all, no
matter how many cups of tea I make, so I'm currently wondering if it
hasa thermal fault, or maybe the power supply is low voltage, so
that's the next thing to check. I'll probably have to bodge an adaptor
of some sort to get a meter onto the co-axial 12 Volt connector
without breaking the warranty seal to get the lid of the box off, and
I should really give up at this point and hand it back, but as usual
will probably become a victim of my own curiosity yet again.

Rod
Old January 11th 18, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

[...]

It usually says on the power supply what the rated volts and amps output
should be. If you have got a compatible supply (same volts and at least
the quoted amps - more amps won't hurt) then you could try that as a
substitute.

Given how slow it is to boot and supply functions, I would be inclined
to try a factory reset. You might have some settings which are causing
excess processing, and clearing that problem should give you a clean start.

Old January 11th 18, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

[...]

It is a small world. I looked in a local charity shop at lunchtime, and
there was a Talk Talk Youview box in its original packaging for 25.

Old January 12th 18, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:47:46 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

[...]

Great minds think alike. I've been able to try an alternative power
supply, with no change in performance, and I've also found the factory
reset page and tried every option there, also without success. One of
the options includes downloading replacement software and wiping the
hard drive, and as it still doesn't work after all that I reckon it's
properly buggered, so it's going back to its owner with appropriate
advice, possibly something involving a big hammer.