A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

If you were buying a new telly..



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 6th 18, 03:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,250
Default If you were buying a new telly..

Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

I'm in two minds, of course many sets do have both, but it is attractive to
not have to worry about constant retunes, and presumably the audio
description side works very much the same way, as would the program guide
from the other source. Some channels are different but in the main the ones
which are are the also rans.

Has anyone tried AD or speaking program guides on freesat tellies?
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!


Ads
  #2  
Old January 6th 18, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 649
Default If you were buying a new telly..

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 16:27:02 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

I'm in two minds, of course many sets do have both, but it is attractive to
not have to worry about constant retunes, and presumably the audio
description side works very much the same way, as would the program guide
from the other source. Some channels are different but in the main the ones
which are are the also rans.

Has anyone tried AD or speaking program guides on freesat tellies?
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!


Freeview HD *and* Freesat HD.

There is some AD on Freesat, but I only get it if I press the button by accident.
  #3  
Old January 6th 18, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 619
Default If you were buying a new telly..



"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?


are you likely to have to move home in the near future

If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite rule

tim



  #4  
Old January 6th 18, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default If you were buying a new telly..

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite rule


With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will have satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.

I have freesat as my aerial fell off the wall.

Owain

  #5  
Old January 6th 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 291
Default If you were buying a new telly..

On 06/01/18 16:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?


If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite dish on
your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....

--
Adrian C
  #6  
Old January 7th 18, 01:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 241
Default If you were buying a new telly..

On 06/01/2018 22:32, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 21:59:16 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 06/01/18 16:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?


If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite dish on
your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....


that says more about some people than anything :-)


I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge and
white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.

The coming of Sky Digital with its smaller, less obstrusive,
black-painted, mesh-constructed, dish changed all that.
  #7  
Old January 7th 18, 01:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,448
Default If you were buying a new telly..

On 07/01/2018 02:04, JNugent wrote:

If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite dish on
your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....


that says more about some people than anything :-)


I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge and
white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.

The coming of Sky Digital with its smaller, less obstrusive,
black-painted, mesh-constructed, dish changed all that.


Also Sky is no longer perceived as downmarket. Generally speaking rich
people have Sky as a matter of course. They don't see it as a decision;
it's just a given. Of course this raises the question, do rich people
have more sophisticated tastes than poor people? In my experience, not
necessarily.

Up-market apartments would be impossible to sell or rent without access
to satellite signals and fast internet.

There's also the Freesat market. And the various nationalities of
immigrants often like to see their own TV stations.

Bill
  #8  
Old January 7th 18, 04:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 699
Default If you were buying a new telly..

In article , JNugent
wrote:
On 06/01/2018 22:32, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 21:59:16 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 06/01/18 16:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?


If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite dish
on your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....


that says more about some people than anything :-)


I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge and
white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.


When I had one of these, I bought some spray paint which matched the
Snowcem on the walls.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
  #9  
Old January 7th 18, 07:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 619
Default If you were buying a new telly..



wrote in message
...
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite
rule


With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will have
satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.


You'd think so, wouldn't you

But just starting my search for a new flat in London it's surprising how
many have this rule - the reply is "if you want the football you can
subscribe to Virgin Cable".

And if you are looking for a flat in a wardened retirement block, the reply
to "is there a satellite connection" is "why on earth would you want that?"

tim



  #10  
Old January 7th 18, 07:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 984
Default If you were buying a new telly..

On 07/01/2018 05:58, charles wrote:
In article , JNugent
that says more about some people than anything :-)

I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge and
white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.


When I had one of these, I bought some spray paint which matched the
Snowcem on the walls.


Would it still work if you had to pebbledash it, though?


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.