If you were buying a new telly..

Old January 7th 18, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default If you were buying a new telly..

"Graham." wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 12:58:47 +0000, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 07/01/2018 08:45, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no
satellite rule

With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will
have satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.

You'd think so, wouldn't you

But just starting my search for a new flat in London it's surprising how
many have this rule - the reply is "if you want the football you can
subscribe to Virgin Cable".

That would be a big no-no here. I can't think of a single medium
market/up market new build we've been involved in for years that hasn't
had satellite.

Ten years ago one of the biggest national housing assns built a new
budget market 50-dwelling block in the town centre. The cable company
conned them with an offer of a free system. Take-up of pay TV was
extremely low. Half a dozen flats had 'no signal' faults and the cable
co wanted £300 to fix each one. The wrangle went on for two years with
us being asked to install 'temporary' dishes all of which looked like
arses. In the end we installed a new two-feed system at a cost of £130
per dwelling.

There are some older complexes that don't have satellite distribution,
usually because the residents' assn can't agree on it. In those cases
dishes are allowed. Where dishes have been banned people have moved out.

Internet good enough for reliable TV is not universal, even in the cities.

And if you are looking for a flat in a wardened retirement block, the
reply to "is there a satellite connection" is "why on earth would you
want that?"

I'm amazed. I can't speak for every single company, but the large
majority here of sheltered accommodation ('independent living') has been
converted for two-feed satellite. This isn't the case for 'very
sheltered' or 'nursing care' though, where satellite provision is almost
unheard of.

Bill

I wonder if he would have got a different answer if he had said "Sky"
instead of "satellite".

Perhaps "a satellite connection" has come to mean (in our teams)
something other than 28.2E, such as the average Polish family might
expect?

you have to get a second dish for that

the place that I most recently rented was originally taken by a polish
couple

but they backed out when the managing agents refused their request for a
dish on the roof so that they could have Polish TV

tim

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old January 8th 18, 02:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 18:22:15 +0000, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

https://www.property118.com/human-ri...tenants/17313/

Bill

“Satellite dishes are a popular tool for receiving multiple services
via satellite. They facilitate mutual exchanges between our various
cultures by overcoming national borders, and familiarise the public
with remote communications technologies. Their use must therefore be
free from any unjustified obstacle.”

That deserves a musical overdub.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt*;
Alle Menschen werden Brüder*
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 8th 18, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/01/2018 20:22, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/01/2018 12:44, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge
and
white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.

The coming of Sky Digital with its smaller, less obstrusive,
black-painted, mesh-constructed, dish changed all that.

So, if you pass a south facing multi-storey block of flats
with one of those smaller dishes outside virtually every
window, you don't think it is obtrusive?

Only if you /want/ to think it's "intrusive" - whatever that means.

having a dish outside of every window

instead of a properly installed communal system Is intrusive

Someone has to organise the installation and maintenance of a communal

oh of course

It's called the property management committee

system, and deal with problems of people misusing it or not

how do you misuse a satellite outlet in your room?

understanding how to use it.

People find out for themselves

just like when they move into a new house they have to find out how to use
the sockets with three rectulanglar holes arranged in a funny pattern

and the other type of co-ax plug that doesn't have a screw fitting

and the small rectangular sockets with the shuttering

and don't get me started on properties with wired audio systems.

Sis has just moved into one of these.

Can anyone in the block tell her how to use it. No of course they can't,
she pays a man to come in and tell her or she decides not to bother.

There may also be people who don't want to pay for it as they don't want
satellite.

Well this is the problem that I think I already highlighted.

If the block is large enough it can be cost effective to install a system
paid for just by those who do want it, with the preparation and expansion
capacity for adding other units as they are prepared to pay.

tim

Old January 9th 18, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/01/2018 19:46, Terry Casey wrote:

A bit like a tower block laid on its side,

If you laid a tower block on its side it would drive the residents up
the wall.