If you were buying a new telly..

Old January 7th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default If you were buying a new telly..

Brian Gaff wrote:

modern teletext is still inaccessible to us

You're not missing much. As you might expect, the text items are
cut-down versions of articles from the BBC news website, though I
remember you have said not many of the blind bother with the internet.
Old January 7th 18, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/01/2018 08:45, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim...* wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no
satellite rule

With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will
have satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.

You'd think so, wouldn't you

But just starting my search for a new flat in London it's surprising how
many have this rule - the reply is "if you want the football you can
subscribe to Virgin Cable".

That would be a big no-no here. I can't think of a single medium
market/up market new build we've been involved in for years that hasn't
had satellite.

Ten years ago one of the biggest national housing assns built a new
budget market 50-dwelling block in the town centre. The cable company
conned them with an offer of a free system. Take-up of pay TV was
extremely low. Half a dozen flats had 'no signal' faults and the cable
co wanted £300 to fix each one. The wrangle went on for two years with
us being asked to install 'temporary' dishes all of which looked like
arses. In the end we installed a new two-feed system at a cost of £130
per dwelling.

There are some older complexes that don't have satellite distribution,
usually because the residents' assn can't agree on it. In those cases
dishes are allowed. Where dishes have been banned people have moved out.

Internet good enough for reliable TV is not universal, even in the cities.

And if you are looking for a flat in a wardened retirement block, the
reply to "is there a satellite connection" is "why on earth would you
want that?"

I'm amazed. I can't speak for every single company, but the large
majority here of sheltered accommodation ('independent living') has been
converted for two-feed satellite. This isn't the case for 'very
sheltered' or 'nursing care' though, where satellite provision is almost
unheard of.

Old January 7th 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 07/01/2018 08:45, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite
rule

With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will have
satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.

You'd think so, wouldn't you

But just starting my search for a new flat in London it's surprising how
many have this rule - the reply is "if you want the football you can
subscribe to Virgin Cable".

That would be a big no-no here. I can't think of a single medium market/up
market new build we've been involved in for years that hasn't had
satellite.

Oh I know what you mean. It surprised me too (we don't have Virgin in the
road round here so no-one can use that as an answer)

I am off to look at 6 more blocks on Tuesday. I'll report back

Ten years ago one of the biggest national housing assns built a new budget
market 50-dwelling block in the town centre. The cable company conned them
with an offer of a free system. Take-up of pay TV was extremely low. Half
a dozen flats had 'no signal' faults and the cable co wanted £300 to fix
each one. The wrangle went on for two years with us being asked to install
'temporary' dishes all of which looked like arses. In the end we installed
a new two-feed system at a cost of £130 per dwelling.

Not at London Prices :-)

There are some older complexes that don't have satellite distribution,
usually because the residents' assn can't agree on it.

Can't agree on how it should be paid for given that some owner's don't want
it.

Getting agreement to such shared expenses is a nightmare (not entirely
unreasonably).

In those cases dishes are allowed.

Not all flats have the appropriate outlook for an own dish.

Where dishes have been banned people have moved out.

Internet good enough for reliable TV is not universal, even in the cities.

The fringe channels that are on Freesat that aren't on Freeview don't have
internet feeds.

And if you are looking for a flat in a wardened retirement block, the
reply to "is there a satellite connection" is "why on earth would you
want that?"

I'm amazed.

It was slightly exaggerated.

But the point is that to get a satellite feed added to every unit requires
the vast majority of the owners to be prepared to pay for its installation.
And the cohort that has grown up with satellite TV has yet to reach the
retirement homes.

I can't speak for every single company, but the large majority here of
sheltered accommodation ('independent living') has been converted for
two-feed satellite.

Is TV reception difficult where you are?

To be clear I was talking about owner occupied property with a warden, not
social rented.

tim

Old January 7th 18, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 16:26:56 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

I'm in two minds, of course many sets do have both, but it is attractive
to not have to worry about constant retunes, and presumably the audio
description side works very much the same way, as would the program
guide from the other source. Some channels are different but in the main
the ones which are are the also rans.

Has anyone tried AD or speaking program guides on freesat tellies?
Brian

There is always the option of a STB, although I have no idea what AD
facilities they may have.

If in doubt I would get both, and a mild sort of future proofing.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old January 7th 18, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 12:58:47 +0000, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 07/01/2018 08:45, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Bill

I wonder if he would have got a different answer if he had said "Sky"
instead of "satellite".

Perhaps "a satellite connection" has come to mean (in our teams)
something other than 28.2E, such as the average Polish family might
expect?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 7th 18, 05:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 07/01/2018 11:10, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 10:51:15 +0000, Max Demian wrote:
On 07/01/2018 02:18, Bill Wright wrote:

There's also the Freesat market. And the various nationalities of
immigrants often like to see their own TV stations.

And they have e-nor-mous dishes!

Not all of them. Why should they all need enormous dishes?
French and British and North Africans have 60 cm dishes in NL.
Italians have enormous dishes, but they also wear enormous watches :-)
I suspect that I could have a dish smaller than 60cm in NL without having
reception problems.

I'm thinking of Poles in Britain.

--
Max Demian
Old January 7th 18, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/01/2018 14:19, tim... wrote:

Ten years ago one of the biggest national housing assns built a new
budget market 50-dwelling block in the town centre. The cable company
conned them with an offer of a free system. Take-up of pay TV was
extremely low. Half a dozen flats had 'no signal' faults and the cable
co wanted £300 to fix each one. The wrangle went on for two years with
us being asked to install 'temporary' dishes all of which looked like
arses. In the end we installed a new two-feed system at a cost of £130
per dwelling.

Not at London Prices :-)

No, I'd double it for London.

There are some older complexes that don't have satellite distribution,
usually because the residents' assn can't agree on it.

Can't agree on how it should be paid for given that some owner's don't
want it.

Yes.

Getting agreement to such shared expenses is a nightmare (not entirely
unreasonably).

Not half.

The fringe channels that are on Freesat that aren't on Freeview don't
have internet feeds.

And the non-Freesat channels on 28E

But the point is that to get a satellite feed added to every unit
requires the vast majority of the owners to be prepared to pay for its
installation. And the cohort that has grown up with satellite TV has yet
to reach the retirement homes.

We're on the cusp with that. My age group (69) expect it.

I can't speak for every single company, but the large majority here of
sheltered accommodation ('independent living') has been converted for
two-feed satellite.

Is TV reception difficult where you are?

Not at all.

To be clear I was talking about owner occupied property with a warden,
not social rented.

Round here they would deffo have either a system or individual dishes.
No way would there be a satellite ban.

Old January 7th 18, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

https://www.property118.com/human-ri...tenants/17313/