If you were buying a new telly..

Old January 7th 18, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default If you were buying a new telly..

That is not the point. All can be turned off. I would assume that the
programs that have it on terrestrial can have it on sat. What I'm mainly
interested in, and RNIB are pretty much waste of space here, is whether as
with my old talking box, the new talking tellies from Sony, Philips Samsung
and Panasonic will also read the program guide and description to me as
well as controls on the menu and channel numbers. I suspect my only recourse
here, might be to go into somewhere like John Lewis who have a wide range
and try to get something set up, but whereas many shops have freeview, not
that many seem to be able to simulate freesat in their showrooms at all. I'd
rather, of course just have a talking pvR but at the current time it seems
there are none available.

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 16:27:02 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

I'm in two minds, of course many sets do have both, but it is attractive
not have to worry about constant retunes, and presumably the audio
description side works very much the same way, as would the program guide
from the other source. Some channels are different but in the main the
ones
which are are the also rans.

Has anyone tried AD or speaking program guides on freesat tellies?

Freeview HD *and* Freesat HD.

There is some AD on Freesat, but I only get it if I press the button by
accident.

Old January 7th 18, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No, I'm not. This is my house and I own it outright.

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

are you likely to have to move home in the near future

If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite
rule

tim

Old January 7th 18, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, an unlikely scenario here its in the loft.

I have not dabbled in sat tv since the good old analogue days of yore.

wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite
rule

With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will have
satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.

I have freesat as my aerial fell off the wall.

Owain

Old January 7th 18, 09:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh for many years we blind have fought the old why would blind people want a
tv attitude. Thing is with the advent of AD its opened up things one heck of
a lot. Even before we had tvs and indeed some companies made a gadget that
just got tv sound only and sometimes spoke teletext as well. Sadly modern
teletext is still inaccessible to us. I guess we have to go to the internet
instead which is still mainly text based, but this is a digression I would
say though that there are issues with smart tvs and blind use as the menus
and stuff may work, but the apps for catch up etc, seldom are tested for
accessibility and fail miserably. Two main reasons. Either the app is not
tied in to the speaking system in the set, or that the app will not select
the AD verso
ion of the video stream even though it exists on the web.
There needs to be more joined up thinking here.it is a growing issue since
the older age of the society increasingly need these systems as macular
degeneration really has no cure as yet.

"tim..." wrote in message
news

wrote in message
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:34:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
If you move into an apartment quite often they come with a no satellite
rule

With so many people using Sky, any half-decent apartment block will have
satellite feeds (at least one, anyway) by now.

You'd think so, wouldn't you

But just starting my search for a new flat in London it's surprising how
many have this rule - the reply is "if you want the football you can
subscribe to Virgin Cable".

And if you are looking for a flat in a wardened retirement block, the
reply to "is there a satellite connection" is "why on earth would you want
that?"

tim

Old January 7th 18, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Na they know I have bad taste already. I'll paint it pea green and pink.

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 06/01/18 16:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite dish on
your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....

--
Adrian C

Old January 7th 18, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Which reminds me You don't see horn antennas much these days. There used to
be quite a few locally but most people tell me now they are all the mesh
almost flat ones mentioned.

The horn ones were made by several companies, the poshest was Revox.

"JNugent" wrote in message
On 06/01/2018 22:32, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 21:59:16 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 06/01/18 16:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Would you go for Freesat or Freeview?

If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite dish on
your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....

that says more about some people than anything :-)

I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge and
white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.

The coming of Sky Digital with its smaller, less obstrusive,
black-painted, mesh-constructed, dish changed all that.

Old January 7th 18, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 07/01/2018 02:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/01/2018 02:04, JNugent wrote:

If you live in certain communities, the existence of a satellite
dish on
your property might be seen by neighbours as a sign of bad taste....

that says more about some people than anything :-)

I'd say that all that stems from the days when Sky dishes were huge
and white - a real carbuncle on your south-facing wall.

The coming of Sky Digital with its smaller, less obstrusive,
black-painted, mesh-constructed, dish changed all that.

Also Sky is no longer perceived as downmarket. Generally speaking rich
people have Sky as a matter of course. They don't see it as a decision;
it's just a given. Of course this raises the question, do rich people
have more sophisticated tastes than poor people? In my experience, not
necessarily.

Up-market apartments would be impossible to sell or rent without access
to satellite signals and fast internet.

There's also the Freesat market. And the various nationalities of
immigrants often like to see their own TV stations.

And they have e-nor-mous dishes!

--
Max Demian
Old January 7th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 7 January 2018 10:09:25 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is not the point. All can be turned off. I would assume that the
programs that have it on terrestrial can have it on sat. What I'm mainly
interested in, and RNIB are pretty much waste of space here, is whether as
with my old talking box, the new talking tellies from Sony, Philips Samsung
and Panasonic will also read the program guide and description to me as
well as controls on the menu and channel numbers. I suspect my only recourse
here, might be to go into somewhere like John Lewis who have a wide range
and try to get something set up, but whereas many shops have freeview, not
that many seem to be able to simulate freesat in their showrooms at all. I'd
rather, of course just have a talking pvR but at the current time it seems
there are none available.
Brian

OK I will have a go this evening and tell you.