iPlayer needs an aerial?

Old January 4th 18, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default iPlayer needs an aerial?

Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried
ourselves. He was right. Every other catch-up service worked but not
iPlayer. When iPlayer was attempted a message came up saying that the
aerial had to be connected.

Paul googled and found this:
It's a quirk of Vestel's software apparently, so as well as the TVs they
sell under the branding licensed from Toshiba it can affect TVs they
made for other retailers and brands are well. JVC, Finlux, Hitatchi,
Celcius and Polaroid would be some of the more common brands you find
their TVs sold under, but there are many more.

Comments?

Old January 4th 18, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 04/01/18 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried

iPlayer now needs an account when run on a PC. I presume a TV with an
aerial is assumed to be being used within the UK, and therefore covered
by TV licensing.
Old January 4th 18, 07:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 04/01/18 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried

iPlayer now needs an account when run on a PC. I presume a TV with an
aerial is assumed to be being used within the UK, and therefore covered by
TV licensing.

I'm wondering how much longer the GetIplayer program (which allows
programmes to be downloaded from iPlayer) will continue to work, given that
the iPlayer website now challenges you for a username and password every so
often.

Old January 5th 18, 07:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Seems a little bit of a strange one. I can hardly think they need te stable
frequencies as in old style tvs when you played videos that you needed sea
sick pills to watch du to the old flywheel sync issues.
Who are these people who presumably just supply chipsets and software to
the suppliers for inclusion and obviously said makers do not actually test
their wares very much.

Since none of the makes you mention seem to have any kind of accessibility
at all last time I looked I'lll add them to the idiot badge engineering
list.

news

Old January 5th 18, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 04/01/2018 20:12, NY wrote:
"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 04/01/18 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried

iPlayer now needs an account when run on a PC.* I presume a TV with an
aerial is assumed to be being used within the UK, and therefore
covered by TV licensing.

I'm wondering how much longer the GetIplayer program (which allows
programmes to be downloaded from iPlayer) will continue to work, given
that the iPlayer website now challenges you for a username and password
every so often.

You now need a licence to watch anything on iPlayer regardless, hence
the login...

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Dave
Old January 5th 18, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 17:52:24 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried
ourselves. He was right. Every other catch-up service worked but not
iPlayer. When iPlayer was attempted a message came up saying that the
aerial had to be connected.

Paul googled and found this:
It's a quirk of Vestel's software apparently, so as well as the TVs they
sell under the branding licensed from Toshiba it can affect TVs they
made for other retailers and brands are well. JVC, Finlux, Hitatchi,
Celcius and Polaroid would be some of the more common brands you find
their TVs sold under, but there are many more.

Comments?

Does the aerial cable need to be attached to anything? Is it purely
the connecting that resolves the issue?

--
AnthonyL
Old January 7th 18, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 04/01/2018 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried ourselves. He was right. Every other catch-up service worked but not iPlayer. When iPlayer was attempted a message came up saying that the aerial had to be connected.

Paul googled and found this:
It's a quirk of Vestel's software apparently, so as well as the TVs they sell under the branding licensed from Toshiba it can affect TVs they made for other retailers and brands are well. JVC, Finlux, Hitatchi, Celcius and Polaroid would be some of the more common brands you find their TVs sold under, but there are many more.

I think it's a measure to stop people outside the UK viewing BBC programmes. Why they are so paranoid about this I'm not sure. We have a Panasonic TV several years old which includes an iPlayer option if connected to the Internet by a Ethernet cable. But it only worked when there was also a Freesat signal. I say worked not works because about 18 months ago a BBC "upgrade" changed the format of iPlayer streams so the TV would no longer cope, and of course Panasonic has no interest in providing a software upgrade for a TV more than a year or so old, as they'd much rather we buy a newer TV. Which of course we haven't, and now I know how Panasonic treats it customers I am much less likely to buy the same brand again.

All the same, needing Freesat seems rather odd, as the set can also get Freeview, and it seems to me that presence of a Freeview signal would be a much better test of the TV being used in the UK than that of Freesat, which surely has a footprint covering adjacent countries.

--
Clive Page