Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

Old January 6th 18, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

Default Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

On 06/01/2018 17:06, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

Surely the information on any disc of that sort and size (CD-DA, DVD,
Blu-Ray, CD-ROM, etc), read by a laser, is digital?

No "CD Video" (as opposed to "Video CD") had digital audio tracks plus
an analogue video track.

https://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=IEC+61104+Ed.+1.0+b%3a1992

OK.
Old January 6th 18, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 06/01/2018 17:06, JNugent wrote:
On 05/01/2018 19:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/01/2018 13:14, David wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:18:32 +0000, Max Demian wrote:
On 03/01/2018 15:53, David wrote:

Just noticed a DVD player in a charity shop today which said on the
front it played audio CDs. SCART only on the back.

So there is kit out there.

All DVD players play audio CDs. This thread is about CD Videos. (Not to
be confused with Video CDs - *very* confusing.)

The video on CD Videos is *analogue* - like on LaserDiscs. I doubt that
you could read the *video* on anything other than a LaserDisc player
- I
wouldn't have thought that a computer optical drive would have anything
to do with it.

Ooops!

Typo.

Should be "video CDs".

My previous (Panasonic) DVD recorder claimed to be able to read Video
CDs; my current (also Panasonic) DVD recorder (with HDD) says it
can't. Not that there can be many VCDs around as it only "caught on"
in Asia.

I happen to own a "VIDEO CD" whose label I have scanned and placed at:
https://imagebin.ca/v/3nHh2XcZfTtC

I shall try to play it on this PC's CD-R(W)/DVD-R(W) drive, then on a
Sony Blu-Ray player, then on a Sony DVD-R / HDD deck.

A. The PC's drive asks me to choose a software player, including Media
Player, Easy Video and VLC.

VLC plays it perfectly as long as I tell it that the disc is not a DVD,
Blu-ray or audio CD, and is either a SVCD or a VCD.

2. The Sony Blu-Ray player plays it without problems.

3. The Sony DVD-R also plays it without problems.

However, the disc has only one track and can only be scanned via
in-vision fast-forward or fast-rewind (like a newspaper promo DVD).

Old January 6th 18, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 06/01/2018 16:58, JNugent wrote:
On 03/01/2018 16:18, Max Demian wrote:

The video on CD Videos is *analogue* - like on LaserDiscs. I doubt
that you could read the *video* on anything other than a LaserDisc
player - I wouldn't have thought that a computer optical drive would
have anything to do with it.

Surely the information on any disc of that sort and size (CD-DA, DVD,
Blu-Ray, CD-ROM, etc), read by a laser, is digital?

I suppose it's tempting to think that anything that codes with "ons" and
"offs" is digital. This is what the Wikipedia entry for LaserDisc says:

"The LaserDisc at its most fundamental level was still recorded as a
series of pits and lands much like CDs, DVDs, and even Blu-ray Discs are
today. However, while the encoding is of a binary nature, the
information is encoded as analog pulse-width modulation with a 50% duty
cycle, where the information is contained in the lengths and spacing of
the pits. In true digital media the pits, or their edges, directly
represent 1s and 0s of a binary digital information stream."

Simmerstats and most thermostats work by switching on and off; we
wouldn't say they were "digital".

--
Max Demian