Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

Old December 31st 17, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

No its a totally ignored part of the CD. It seems to me that in effect what
it is is an old styyle very short laserdisc and an audio CD on the same
disc, and most CD players do not have the firmware to play what is not
considrerd an old format. if it had been a proper mixed mode CD then that
would work, indeed I've got some with video clips on them A Doris Day
compilation and a Katie Melua one.

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 30/12/17 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.

If the drive can rip audio, I imagine it can play VCDs. As I remember it,
the video is recorded with only the single layer of error correction used
for audio.

Given that it can read the data on the video track, I image than it is
purely up to the application software as to whether that can interpret the
result as a VCD.

Old January 2nd 18, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 16:32:44 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Hmm, aye it does, not tried it. I was told by somebody that modern
drives firmwaare has no support for the format.
Brian

Dig out an old IDE drive, from back in the day?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old January 3rd 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 12:01:30 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm talking the cd sized discs you used to get that were gold in colour,
but had one big video track and a couple of normal audio tracks.
IE its not a DVD or a Philips laserdisc as such, though I'd imagine it
was
using the same tech as Pioneerr combination players seemed to play them
and some computers of the Amiga type did as well but that might just
have been software.
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.
Brian

Just noticed a DVD player in a charity shop today which said on the front
it played audio CDs. SCART only on the back.

So there is kit out there.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old January 3rd 18, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 03/01/2018 15:53, David wrote:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 12:01:30 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm talking the cd sized discs you used to get that were gold in colour,
but had one big video track and a couple of normal audio tracks.
IE its not a DVD or a Philips laserdisc as such, though I'd imagine it
was
using the same tech as Pioneerr combination players seemed to play them
and some computers of the Amiga type did as well but that might just
have been software.
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.
Brian

Just noticed a DVD player in a charity shop today which said on the front
it played audio CDs. SCART only on the back.

So there is kit out there.

All DVD players play audio CDs. This thread is about CD Videos. (Not to
be confused with Video CDs - *very* confusing.)

The video on CD Videos is *analogue* - like on LaserDiscs. I doubt that
you could read the *video* on anything other than a LaserDisc player - I
wouldn't have thought that a computer optical drive would have anything
to do with it.

--
Max Demian
Old January 5th 18, 12:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:18:32 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

[...]

Ooops!

Typo.

Should be "video CDs".

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old January 5th 18, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 05/01/2018 13:14, David wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:18:32 +0000, Max Demian wrote:
On 03/01/2018 15:53, David wrote:

Just noticed a DVD player in a charity shop today which said on the
front it played audio CDs. SCART only on the back.

So there is kit out there.

All DVD players play audio CDs. This thread is about CD Videos. (Not to
be confused with Video CDs - *very* confusing.)

The video on CD Videos is *analogue* - like on LaserDiscs. I doubt that
you could read the *video* on anything other than a LaserDisc player - I
wouldn't have thought that a computer optical drive would have anything
to do with it.

Ooops!

Typo.

Should be "video CDs".

My previous (Panasonic) DVD recorder claimed to be able to read Video
CDs; my current (also Panasonic) DVD recorder (with HDD) says it can't.
Not that there can be many VCDs around as it only "caught on" in Asia.

--
Max Demian
Old January 6th 18, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 03/01/2018 15:53, David wrote:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 12:01:30 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm talking the cd sized discs you used to get that were gold in colour,
but had one big video track and a couple of normal audio tracks.
IE its not a DVD or a Philips laserdisc as such, though I'd imagine it
was
using the same tech as Pioneerr combination players seemed to play them
and some computers of the Amiga type did as well but that might just
have been software.
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.
Brian

Just noticed a DVD player in a charity shop today which said on the front
it played audio CDs. SCART only on the back.

So there is kit out there.

I'm fairly sure that any DVD player will also play audio CDs.
Old January 6th 18, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 03/01/2018 16:18, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Surely the information on any disc of that sort and size (CD-DA, DVD,
Blu-Ray, CD-ROM, etc), read by a laser, is digital?
Old January 6th 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

JNugent wrote:

Surely the information on any disc of that sort and size (CD-DA, DVD,
Blu-Ray, CD-ROM, etc), read by a laser, is digital?

No "CD Video" (as opposed to "Video CD") had digital audio tracks plus
an analogue video track.

https://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=IEC+61104+Ed.+1.0+b%3a1992
Old January 6th 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 05/01/2018 19:45, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

I happen to own a "VIDEO CD" whose label I have scanned and placed at:
https://imagebin.ca/v/3nHh2XcZfTtC

I shall try to play it on this PC's CD-R(W)/DVD-R(W) drive, then on a
Sony Blu-Ray player, then on a Sony DVD-R / HDD deck.