iPhone 4 question

Old December 26th 17, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default iPhone 4 question

Don't know where else to ask.
I have been given a iPhone 4. The power button does nothing at all when
pushed, so I tried the trick in the below link. It did not work. Skip to
1.49 secs in. Yes, I can see the reasoning here. However, when I push the
power button I expect to see something move to make contact. Nothing does.
And yes, I did try a spot of WD40. Is the power button broken or am I
missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4iAEV3KW3I

Old December 26th 17, 01:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 26/12/17 14:32, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Don't know where else to ask.
I have been given a iPhone 4.

The power button does nothing at all when
pushed, so I tried the trick in the below link. It did not work. Skip to
1.49 secs in. Yes, I can see the reasoning here. However, when I push the
power button I expect to see something move to make contact. Nothing does.
And yes, I did try a spot of WD40. Is the power button broken or am I
missing something?

The phone is 32bit, ancient and the battery is probably well shagged.

I changed a battery in such for a friend and managed to dislodge and
lose a dimple the size of quarter of a grain of cos-cous from the top of
the power button, and had to strip the whole phone down to replace the
switch/proximity/speaker assembly with one from eBay.

Try the paper piece trick, or preferably the leading post from 'Chris M'
in the YouTube clip comments - then when it works, flog it and get a
modern Android, or iPhone 5S minimum.

--
Adrian C
Old December 26th 17, 02:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's old. To be honest phones are not my thing, I was just curious.
Wife is keen on them, I'm not.
I did read the comment from Chris M, but like I said - when I push the
button down nothing moves. I tried the paper trick, and then a bit of
plastic from an old Tesco card.

Thanks for the reply.

Old December 26th 17, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 14:52:56 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

Indeed - I picked up a new, but superseded Acer Liquid Z5 from Scan (by Royal Appointment etc.) in a clear out sale for £15. It's not quite a Galaxy S7 or recent iPhone, but it is quite capable.

--
Adrian C

Old December 26th 17, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

I’ve had long out of service iStuff behave as though it won’t turn on, even
when hooked up to the charger. Apple’s advice is to leave it on charge for
a few hours. I’d didn’t really believe this advice, but it did work.

Old December 26th 17, 02:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Tweed wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

I should have been clearer. The phone won't turn off on the power button.

Old December 27th 17, 06:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well in that case the battery will be well and truly knackered as well as
whatever the fault is.

In my expeditious, those sort of switches in devices are about as reliable
as an umbrella in snowstorm.
I find them on lots of things for use by the blind. Generally because when
new they are fairly positive and small, but after a while their grotty
plastic engineering or conductive plastic bits or membranes gives up.

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news

Old December 27th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Seems that the power button is a well known fault on Apple phones,
disgraceful really.
There is now a large black blob on the inside of the screen! Aww well. I'll
chuck it into a drawer with the rest of the useless stuff.

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well in that case the battery will be well and truly knackered as
well as whatever the fault is.

In my expeditious, those sort of switches in devices are about as
reliable as an umbrella in snowstorm.
I find them on lots of things for use by the blind. Generally because
when new they are fairly positive and small, but after a while their
grotty plastic engineering or conductive plastic bits or membranes gives
up. Brian