Sorry your account is locked for 30 minutes

Old December 26th 17, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Sorry your account is locked for 30 minutes

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 13:27:45 +0100, Martin wrote:

..or use a password storing programme so you only have to remember one
password. I find Password Keeper excellent in that respect.

When somebody hacks the keeper you have lost all your passwords.

Also beware that if you choose to let your web browser remember
passwords so you don't have to type them in each time, they will by
default be stored in unprotected form. Unless you also set a master
password for this, anyone can view all your stored passwords without
entering any security details at all.

e.g. in Firefox, click the three horizontal lines button, then
"Options", then "Privacy & Security", then "Saved Logins", then "Show
passwords". You have been warned.

Old December 27th 17, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 12:37:04 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 09:30:49 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I see the results of the most popular passwords are in and the
winner is..
Password.

That could be said to be the fault of software writers, after all if a
window pops up and says 'Enter password' some people are bound to take
it literally!

There's no ANY key on my keyboard

Given the choice of *any* key to press, the most obvious one to select
has got to be the space bar (even a blind man can manage to select that
one with ease every time).

It's such a "no brainer" choice that I've assigned in my mind, the
monicker, "Any-Key" as the 'nickname' for the "Spacebar" key. It saves
time that might otherwise be wasted pondering which of the many *any*
keys to choose from. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 28th 17, 09:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 09:30:49 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I see the results of the most popular passwords are in and the
winner is..
Password.

That could be said to be the fault of software writers, after all if a
window pops up and says 'Enter password' some people are bound to take
it literally!

There's no ANY key on my keyboard

Given the choice of *any* key to press, the most obvious one to select
has got to be the space bar (even a blind man can manage to select that
one with ease every time).

It's such a "no brainer" choice that I've assigned in my mind, the
monicker, "Any-Key" as the 'nickname' for the "Spacebar" key. It saves
time that might otherwise be wasted pondering which of the many *any*
keys to choose from. :-)

But the space bar might insert a space character into whatever program
is running, which might not be something I want.

--
Max Demian
Old December 28th 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 26/12/2017 12:37, charles wrote:
There's no ANY key on my keyboard

The French say "N'importe quelle touche" - it doesn't matter what you
press. Much better, even though it leaves the shift and control key
possible...

Andy
Old December 28th 17, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

o.uk...

The Other John wrote:
[...]

Why not just use a key that has no function on its own - such as Ctrl
or Alt? At least you don't need to look for the Ctrl key as its in the
bottom left corner.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 28th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 13:59:07 +0000, Woody wrote:

o.uk...

The Other John wrote:
[...]

Just what I was going to suggest (actually, *any* of the 'modifier keys'
as you suggested, CTRL, ALT or even the good old fashioned SHIFT key)
until I realised that his objection was a non-sequitur.

His "whatever program is running" being the one that has presented the
instruction, "Press any key..." is the one expecting a key press of any
key to continue whatever its next action will be rather than treating it
like a text editor or word processor or even a command line processor.

I'm assuming that the programmer didn't fail to account for the
ingenuity of the user to 'surprise' him with their 'inventiveness' and so
made his program react exactly as the message prompt implied, i.e. allow
the user to literally choose *any key* that could possibly be pressed
without any other consequence than the desired one. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 28th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:30:25 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 26/12/2017 12:37, charles wrote:
There's no ANY key on my keyboard

The French say "N'importe quelle touche" - it doesn't matter what you
press. Much better, even though it leaves the shift and control key
possible...

Those modifier keys are not a problem. I think even the caps and number
lock keys can be handled ok. I'm not so sure about the scroll lock and
pause/break keys though and even less sure about additional keys (usually
buttons) labelled 'Sleep', 'Wake Up' and 'Power'[1]. :-)

[1] I guess it depends on how the OS monitors such key events and how
much control the program has in intercepting them before the OS gets its
chance to respond. I'm not a programmer so I can't really say whether the
program's author can completely escape the consequences of prompting for
such a carte blanch action by the user.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 28th 17, 06:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 28/12/2017 13:59, Woody wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

That's the point. The modifier keys usually have no effect as the
programs are looking for a character. You get the sort of same thing
with the volume button of a TV remote - sometimes pressing 'volume up'
increases the volume, sometimes it just wakes up the volume bar and you
have to press the key a second time to increase the volume.

--
Max Demian