OT question

Old December 25th 17, 08:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default OT question

On 24/12/17 22:53, Norman Wells wrote:
On 24/12/2017 22:01, Indy Jess John wrote:

Admittedly we have got nothing better to describe the speed of light,
but it does explain why that speed when calculated isn't a
conveniently memorable number.

I think what he's asking is why it's a constant, ie what makes it so,
and why it is what it is rather than something else?

Got any answer?

Because if it wasnt what it is, the world wouldn't be what it is, and in
all likelihood he wouldn't be wherever here is to ask such damn fool
questions.

But it's a philosophical question. And I thought from your name that
you might have an answer.

Anyway, aren't all philosophical questions damn fool questions?

Old December 25th 17, 08:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
GB

On 25/12/2017 09:25, Tim Streater wrote:

... life would not be possible in
most of the resulting universes.

"Life as we know it" - to more or less quote Dr Spock.
Old December 25th 17, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Tim Streater
writes
AIUI, there are about 26 physical constants (such as speed of light)
for the values of which there is no theoretical explanation known
today. That is, it's as if God (I use the term for convenience) has 26
knobs to turn to set these values and launch the universe. They could
have any values, these constants, and life would not be possible in
most of the resulting universes.

Which raises the interesting question of whether alternative universes
exist in which some or all of those constants have different values.
--
John Hall "George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.
Old December 25th 17, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 25 December 2017 08:18:37 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/12/17 20:43, Bill Wright wrote:
What are the parameters that set the speed of electromagnetic
transmission in a vacuum? I've googled everywhere but I can't find the
answer. It's easy enough to find the figure but WHY? Why not
29,979,245.8 metres per second or 2,997,924,580 metres per second?

Bill

Not everything has a cause. Some things Just Are.

God was the traditional explanation of course.

Child: - Who made the universe?
RE teacher - God.
Child: - Who made God?
Old December 25th 17, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 09:10:43 +0000, Norman Wells wrote:

But it's a philosophical question. And I thought from your name that
you might have an answer.

Natural Philosophy has nowt much to do with philosophy; it's simply the
archaic term for science.

Here's something that may help:

http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~lwilliam/sota/anth/
anthropic_principle_index.html

Old December 25th 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 08:18:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"The theory of Communism may be summed up in one sentence: Abolish all
private property."

Marx was such a stupid ****. No one capable of critical thinking can
possibly take his daft ideas seriously. I wish I could have sneaked up
behind him in the British Library reading room and planted a stiletto in
the back of his thick skull.

Old December 25th 17, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 25/12/17 09:10, Norman Wells wrote:
On 24/12/17 22:53, Norman Wells wrote:
On 24/12/2017 22:01, Indy Jess John wrote:

Admittedly we have got nothing better to describe the speed of
light, but it does explain why that speed when calculated isn't a
conveniently memorable number.

I think what he's asking is why it's a constant, ie what makes it so,
and why it is what it is rather than something else?

Got any answer?

Because if it wasnt what it is, the world wouldn't be what it is, and
in all likelihood he wouldn't be wherever here is to ask such damn
fool questions.

But it's a philosophical question.* And I thought from your name that
you might have an answer.

I do, and that is it.

Anyway, aren't all philosophical questions damn fool questions?

No, often they are the most fundamental questions of all.

You are asking the basic question - why is the world the way it is?

And seeking an answer based on a notion of causality - that is, because
something *caused* it to be that way.

Causality, however is a human notion and not necessarily ubiquitous.

If you insist that it is, you will arrive at notions of a Creator, be it
a Big Bang, or a weird supernatural Intelligence. Merely in order to
complete a chain of causality.

The answer is to not ask a question framed in terms of normal relative
reality about the nature of absolute reality.

It's as silly as asking what color B flat is.

The neatest 'explanation' is Taoism. The Tao is that which exists
through itself. I.e. it perpetuates itself. The nature of the Tao is
whatever yiu consider the world to be made from.

In this case electromagnetic entities in a space time causality matrix.

well its different from God and his Angels, but not much.

all women"
Old December 25th 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 25/12/17 09:51, John Hall wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes
AIUI, there are about 26 physical constants (such as speed of light)
for the values of which there is no theoretical explanation known
today. That is, it's as if God (I use the term for convenience) has 26
knobs to turn to set these values and launch the universe. They could
have any values, these constants, and life would not be possible in
most of the resulting universes.

Which raises the interesting question of whether alternative universes
exist in which some or all of those constants have different values.

Since by definition we can't exist in them, how could we tell?

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Old December 25th 17, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 25/12/17 11:44, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 09:10:43 +0000, Norman Wells wrote:

But it's a philosophical question. And I thought from your name that
you might have an answer.

Natural Philosophy has nowt much to do with philosophy; it's simply the
archaic term for science.

And you think that science has nowt to do with philosophy? How quaint!"

Here's something that may help:

http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~lwilliam/sota/anth/
anthropic_principle_index.html

Pure philosophy really.

Old December 25th 17, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 25/12/17 11:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 08:18:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"The theory of Communism may be summed up in one sentence: Abolish all
private property."

Marx was such a stupid ****. No one capable of critical thinking can
possibly take his daft ideas seriously. I wish I could have sneaked up
behind him in the British Library reading room and planted a stiletto in
the back of his thick skull.

I'll drink to that mate.

Unfortuntaely Marxism is an inevitabe result of taking peasants off
fields where nature insists on smome basic common sense, and plonking
them in factories and cities, where nature doesn't feature and their
innate capacity for pompous silliness can flourish unbounded, until you
get the likes of Caroline Lucas or Jeremey Corbyn.

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain