Amazon Fight Back

Old December 21st 17, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

Default Amazon Fight Back

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Old December 21st 17, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:23:08 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps.

The Youtube app on my rather ancient phone (Android ver 2.3.6
Gingerbread) stopped working for a couple of days, I have never
succeeded in getting any browser to work with YT. I thought it might
be a ploy to get me to upgrade, but it has mysteriously started to
work again.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old December 21st 17, 05:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Yes, I've installed both and they work just fine. Not only that but
I'd also managed to install (or "side-load" as they call it if it's
not through the official app store) an alternative app called "Smart
Youtube TV". So it seems I've now got a choice of three different ways
to watch the channel that's going to be nobbled in the new year, and
it's not even Christmas.

I should have known Youtube was so popular that somebody would fix it.
I needn't have bothered to buy that Android box after all. Maybe it'll
end up back on Ebay.

Here's the text of the email I got from Amazon this morning-

[Start quote]
Firefox and Silk browsers now available

With Firefox and Silk web browsers on Fire TV, the entire world wide
web is now at your fingertips. You can now access all your favorite
web content on the big screen, including sports, news, TV shows,
movies, social news, and web videos. Use your Fire TV remote buttons
to easily search the web, navigate pages, and play, pause, and fast
forward web videos.

Ready to get browsing? Simply search for Firefox or Silk on your Fire
TV, and download the app to get started.
[End quote]

Do you see anything there that specifically mentions Youtube?
Interesting, isn't it. I wonder if it would be technically possible to
detect, for the purpose of targeted blockage, the use of an Amazon
device, rather than just the Amazon app? Happy new year, Google!

Old December 21st 17, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:52:36 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:23:08 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps.

You do if you want to watch youTube in a Fire Stick.

The Youtube app on my rather ancient phone (Android ver 2.3.6
Gingerbread) stopped working for a couple of days, I have never
succeeded in getting any browser to work with YT. I thought it might
be a ploy to get me to upgrade, but it has mysteriously started to
work again.

Why would youTube give a stuff about you upgrading your phone?
Old December 21st 17, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

wrote:

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Yes, I've installed both and they work just fine. Not only that but
I'd also managed to install (or "side-load" as they call it if it's
not through the official app store) an alternative app called "Smart
Youtube TV". So it seems I've now got a choice of three different ways
to watch the channel that's going to be nobbled in the new year, and
it's not even Christmas.

I should have known Youtube was so popular that somebody would fix it.

I thought there would be a solution but I did not expect this rather
nice solution and instead was expecting to have to side load the app.

Fingers crossed this continues to work because there is a chance of
course google will come back with another way of blocking it.

I needn't have bothered to buy that Android box after all. Maybe it'll
end up back on Ebay.

Here's the text of the email I got from Amazon this morning-

[Start quote]
Firefox and Silk browsers now available

With Firefox and Silk web browsers on Fire TV, the entire world wide
web is now at your fingertips. You can now access all your favorite
web content on the big screen, including sports, news, TV shows,
movies, social news, and web videos. Use your Fire TV remote buttons
to easily search the web, navigate pages, and play, pause, and fast
forward web videos.

Ready to get browsing? Simply search for Firefox or Silk on your Fire
TV, and download the app to get started.
[End quote]

Do you see anything there that specifically mentions Youtube?

The advert on the Fire Stick itself for the browsers mentioned rather
prominently that it would be possible to use them for youTube.

Interesting, isn't it. I wonder if it would be technically possible to
detect, for the purpose of targeted blockage, the use of an Amazon
device, rather than just the Amazon app? Happy new year, Google!

We might not be out of the woods yet, but it is looking more promising
that it did. :-)

Old December 21st 17, 06:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:20:59 -0000, Yellow

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:23:08 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps.

You do if you want to watch youTube in a Fire Stick.

The Youtube app on my rather ancient phone (Android ver 2.3.6
Gingerbread) stopped working for a couple of days, I have never
succeeded in getting any browser to work with YT. I thought it might
be a ploy to get me to upgrade, but it has mysteriously started to
work again.

Why would youTube give a stuff about you upgrading your phone?

Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old December 21st 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:23:08 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps.

You do if you want to watch youTube in a Fire Stick.

The Youtube app on my rather ancient phone (Android ver 2.3.6
Gingerbread) stopped working for a couple of days, I have never
succeeded in getting any browser to work with YT. I thought it might
be a ploy to get me to upgrade, but it has mysteriously started to
work again.

Why would youTube give a stuff about you upgrading your phone?

Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

Old December 22nd 17, 08:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

T...

wrote:

[...]

assuming you value your sanity at zero

Old December 22nd 17, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Yellow
wrote:
Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so people
can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can scutinise and
compare?