Amazon Fight Back

Old December 23rd 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Amazon Fight Back

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/12/2017 18:48, Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:21:23 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:
In article , Yellow
wrote:

Surely, if I was making the point Android is open source I would have
used the phrase "open source" rather than saying it is free. Normal use
of English and all that.

Actually the problem is that people also use 'free' to mean 'no payment
required'.

This is surreal, like something out of Monty Python, because when
referring to something being available for "free" no one in normal
conversation would ever think "free" meant anything other than "without
payment"

There must be loads of local papers called "So-and-so Free Press", and
they aren't the kind distributed for free.

And a "free house" doesn't give you free beer.

--
Max Demian

Arbeit macht frei

Old December 23rd 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 20:06:32 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 23/12/2017 18:48, Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:21:23 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:
In article , Yellow
wrote:

Surely, if I was making the point Android is open source I would have
used the phrase "open source" rather than saying it is free. Normal use
of English and all that.

Actually the problem is that people also use 'free' to mean 'no payment
required'.

This is surreal, like something out of Monty Python, because when
referring to something being available for "free" no one in normal
conversation would ever think "free" meant anything other than "without
payment"

There must be loads of local papers called "So-and-so Free Press", and
they aren't the kind distributed for free.

My mother-in-law helped herself to one of those papers once - thinking
it was indeed free.

And a "free house" doesn't give you free beer.

Or a free house.
Old December 23rd 17, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 23/12/2017 10:40, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In , Vir Campestris
wrote:
On 22/12/2017 09:48, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so
people can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can
scutinise and compare?

Most of it, but not all of it. Google do have some private stuff.
Amazon's devices run Android AOSP. (Android Open Source Project)

OK, so it may be possible for the open community to sort out problems like
this if Amazon or Google are sodding users about. Since I don't use these
devices I have no idea if anyone would bother, though, or if an alternative
is simpler. I was just wondering how restrictive the "free" comment
actually was because people often use the term in limited ways without
being explicit.

While the source is available - though I can't find it right now - there
are two gotchas:
- Not all the SW on the device is open source
- The boot loaders all (1) run public-private key verification of the
loaded operating system. The private key isn't published. So you can't
just modify it a bit, and put a new version in. Hacks may be available.

Andy

(1) I think all, but I could be wrong on something. Certainly it's true
of all the Echo family, all the Fire TVs, all the tablets and the new
Amazon Cloud Cam. DAMHIK.
Old December 23rd 17, 10:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 23/12/2017 18:50, Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:23:27 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In .NET, Yellow
wrote:

If the supplier of an application wants to limit its use that is surely
their prerogative, just as it is ours to try and find a work around.

Agreed. I wasn't saying otherwise. Just pointing out that for some meanings
of "free" some options are potentially available which aren't for a
different meaning of "free". Hence the need for people to know which
applies.

Jim

I bet you cannot read that back without laughing at yourself. :-)

I read it back, and the Morecambe and Wise quote "I am playing all the
right notes, but not necessarily in the right order" came to mind.
:-)