Amazon Fight Back

Old December 23rd 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Default Amazon Fight Back

In article , Vir Campestris
wrote:
On 22/12/2017 09:48, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so
people can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can
scutinise and compare?

Most of it, but not all of it. Google do have some private stuff.

Amazon's devices run Android AOSP. (Android Open Source Project)

OK, so it may be possible for the open community to sort out problems like
this if Amazon or Google are sodding users about. Since I don't use these
devices I have no idea if anyone would bother, though, or if an alternative
is simpler. I was just wondering how restrictive the "free" comment
actually was because people often use the term in limited ways without
being explicit.

Old December 23rd 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Martin
wrote:
and Android is free.

In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so
people can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can
scutinise and compare?

Free to use, which is what the majority want.

The problem here being that this thread initially reported that the devices
had actually in practice ceased being "free" to use, because they no long
were doing what the user wanted.

In this case they then had to rely on a fix which might not have been
forthcoming. The point being that people may not always realise what
meaning of "free" is being presented to them. TANSTAAFL.

Old December 23rd 17, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:09:55 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 20:34:47 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:18:24 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:51:52 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:20:59 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and
meaningful
comprehension...

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:52:36 +0000, Graham.

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:23:08 -0000, Yellow

coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and
meaningful
comprehension...

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install
Firefox
or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps.

You do if you want to watch youTube in a Fire Stick.

The Youtube app on my rather ancient phone (Android ver 2.3.6
Gingerbread) stopped working for a couple of days, I have never
succeeded in getting any browser to work with YT. I thought it
might
be a ploy to get me to upgrade, but it has mysteriously started
work again.

Why would youTube give a stuff about you upgrading your phone?

Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

assuming you value your sanity at zero

Myself, I prefer an Android phone to the other options of Apple or
Windows, but each to their own.

I wasn't think of a phone.

But we were discussing phones. :-)

I though we were discussing firesticks

No - the posts you replied to were taking about youTube running on a
phone.
Old December 23rd 17, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:38:40 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Yellow
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:48:21 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Yellow
wrote:
Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so
people can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can
scutinise and compare?

I honestly have no idea but whatever, that is not relevant to a
discussion about whether or not youTube being slowed down is to force
people to buy new phone hardware.

Then why would someone think the statement "...and Android is free" is
relevant here in the first place?

Seriously - you want to start a fight about the relevance of me replying
to a post about Android phones by referring to Android? :-)

However for me the point *might* be that free and open software can be
modified to try and deal with fetching from a provider who wants to
discriminate between choices of device/OS. But if "free" just means you
weren't overtly asked to pay for it, that would not apply. So it depends on
what is meant by "free".

Surely, if I was making the point Android is open source I would have
used the phrase "open source" rather than saying it is free. Normal use
of English and all that.

In general TANSTAAFL applies to that limited meaning of "free".

Interpreting "being given away for no cost" as being a limited meaning
of "free" is pretty funny - so thanks for that. :-)
Old December 23rd 17, 02:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 11:50:17 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Martin
wrote:
and Android is free.

In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so
people can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can
scutinise and compare?

Free to use, which is what the majority want.

The problem here being that this thread initially reported that the devices
had actually in practice ceased being "free" to use, because they no long
were doing what the user wanted.

We were actually discussing an application no longer doing what we
wanted, not the operating system. Just saying....

In this case they then had to rely on a fix which might not have been
forthcoming. The point being that people may not always realise what
meaning of "free" is being presented to them. TANSTAAFL.

If the supplier of an application wants to limit its use that is surely
their prerogative, just as it is ours to try and find a work around.

Old December 23rd 17, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Yellow
wrote:
Then why would someone think the statement "...and Android is free" is
relevant here in the first place?

Seriously - you want to start a fight about the relevance of me replying
to a post about Android phones by referring to Android? :-)

Nope. Not trying to start a fight. Just to clarify the use of a word which
tends to be used for different purposes.

Surely, if I was making the point Android is open source I would have
used the phrase "open source" rather than saying it is free. Normal use
of English and all that.

Actually the problem is that people also use 'free' to mean 'no payment
required'. I'm sure you understood what you wrote. The snag is that others
may not. And since I've never used Android I had no idea which meanings
might be relevant.

Old December 23rd 17, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Yellow
wrote:

If the supplier of an application wants to limit its use that is surely
their prerogative, just as it is ours to try and find a work around.

Agreed. I wasn't saying otherwise. Just pointing out that for some meanings
of "free" some options are potentially available which aren't for a
different meaning of "free". Hence the need for people to know which
applies.

Old December 23rd 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:21:23 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Yellow
wrote:
Then why would someone think the statement "...and Android is free" is
relevant here in the first place?

Seriously - you want to start a fight about the relevance of me replying
to a post about Android phones by referring to Android? :-)

Nope. Not trying to start a fight. Just to clarify the use of a word which
tends to be used for different purposes.

Surely, if I was making the point Android is open source I would have
used the phrase "open source" rather than saying it is free. Normal use
of English and all that.

Actually the problem is that people also use 'free' to mean 'no payment
required'.

This is surreal, like something out of Monty Python, because when
referring to something being available for "free" no one in normal
conversation would ever think "free" meant anything other than "without
payment"

Unless of course you think I was referring to Android being free because
it had made a recent prison break.....

I'm sure you understood what you wrote. The snag is that others
may not.

The only person who seems unable to understand that "free" means
"without payment" is you.

And since I've never used Android I had no idea which meanings
might be relevant

So you piled on to a conversation about the financial cost of Android,
made a meal of your misunderstanding of what was being discussed and now
say "I've never used Android".

You could not make this stuff up. :-)
Old December 23rd 17, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:23:27 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Yellow
wrote:

If the supplier of an application wants to limit its use that is surely
their prerogative, just as it is ours to try and find a work around.

Agreed. I wasn't saying otherwise. Just pointing out that for some meanings
of "free" some options are potentially available which aren't for a
different meaning of "free". Hence the need for people to know which
applies.

Jim

I bet you cannot read that back without laughing at yourself. :-)
Old December 23rd 17, 07:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/12/2017 18:48, Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:21:23 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:
In article , Yellow
wrote:

Surely, if I was making the point Android is open source I would have
used the phrase "open source" rather than saying it is free. Normal use
of English and all that.

Actually the problem is that people also use 'free' to mean 'no payment
required'.

This is surreal, like something out of Monty Python, because when
referring to something being available for "free" no one in normal
conversation would ever think "free" meant anything other than "without
payment"

There must be loads of local papers called "So-and-so Free Press", and
they aren't the kind distributed for free.

And a "free house" doesn't give you free beer.

--
Max Demian