Amazon Fight Back

Old December 22nd 17, 06:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

Default Amazon Fight Back

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:18:24 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:51:52 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:20:59 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:52:36 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:23:08 -0000, Yellow
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Heads up!

Just turned on my Fire Stick to be asked if I want to install Firefox
or
Silk which would then allow me to continue to use youTube.

I have gone for Firefox and it works lovely.

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps.

You do if you want to watch youTube in a Fire Stick.

The Youtube app on my rather ancient phone (Android ver 2.3.6
Gingerbread) stopped working for a couple of days, I have never
succeeded in getting any browser to work with YT. I thought it might
be a ploy to get me to upgrade, but it has mysteriously started to
work again.

Why would youTube give a stuff about you upgrading your phone?

Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

assuming you value your sanity at zero

Myself, I prefer an Android phone to the other options of Apple or
Windows, but each to their own.
Old December 22nd 17, 06:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:48:21 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Yellow
wrote:
Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so people
can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can scutinise and
compare?

I honestly have no idea but whatever, that is not relevant to a
discussion about whether or not youTube being slowed down is to force
people to buy new phone hardware.
Old December 22nd 17, 06:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Well, I don't use my Fire TV Stick much as I find it slow and
unreliable.

I put it on tonight for the first time in about 4 months and it said
nothing about Firefox. I was however able (eventually) to search for
it, find it, and download it. What a pile of sh*te! Went to the BBC
news page and tried to step up and down it - all it did was repeatedly
scroll very fast to the bottom when the down button was pressed, then
back to the top when the up button was pressed.

Compared against this a Roku 1 stick is a piece of brilliant
engineering.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 22nd 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

T...

wrote:

[...]

I wasn't think of a phone.

I was thinking of my tablet

give me windows any day

tim

Old December 22nd 17, 07:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 22/12/2017 09:48, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so people
can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can scutinise and
compare?

Most of it, but not all of it. Google do have some private stuff.

Amazon's devices run Android AOSP. (Android Open Source Project)

Andy
Old December 23rd 17, 07:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 19:11:57 -0000, Woody
wrote:

Well, I don't use my Fire TV Stick much as I find it slow and
unreliable.

I have two and they both work absolutely fine, but you need to connect
them to the power supply for them to work properly rather than just
relying on USB power though.

I put it on tonight for the first time in about 4 months and it said
nothing about Firefox.

Mine has it as one of the rolling adverts below the menu. Click on it
and you get the spiel followed by an opportunity to download Firefox or
Silk directly.

I was however able (eventually) to search for
it, find it, and download it. What a pile of sh*te! Went to the BBC
news page and tried to step up and down it - all it did was repeatedly
scroll very fast to the bottom when the down button was pressed, then
back to the top when the up button was pressed.

I only loaded youTube and that worked perfectly for me but as I have no
general interest in surfing the net via my Fire Stick that was my lot.

Compared against this a Roku 1 stick is a piece of brilliant
engineering.

Lots of people say the Roku is the way to go but it did not exist when I
got my Fire Sticks, at the bargain price of 19 that they were when they
first came out for Prime users, so the purchase was a no-brainer at the
time and has been worth every penny and more.

Old December 23rd 17, 07:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 20:34:47 -0000, tim...
wrote:

T...

wrote:

[...]

But we were discussing phones. :-)

I was thinking of my tablet

give me windows any day

As I said, each to their own and I quite enjoy using different operating
system - which all have their positives and negatives.

tim

Old December 23rd 17, 08:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

Well, I don't use my Fire TV Stick much as I find it slow and
unreliable.

I put it on tonight for the first time in about 4 months and it said
nothing about Firefox. I was however able (eventually) to search for
it, find it, and download it. What a pile of sh*te! Went to the BBC
news page and tried to step up and down it - all it did was repeatedly
scroll very fast to the bottom when the down button was pressed, then
back to the top when the up button was pressed.

Compared against this a Roku 1 stick is a piece of brilliant
engineering.

A few points that might be relevant-

1. If you switch on any computing device that you haven't used for a
long time, it's likely that the first thing it will do is search for
updates and then download any that it finds. If you're trying to use
the device while it's doing this, it may well seem sluggish.

2. General web pages intended for computers may not be optimised for
TV remote controls. Normally the only BBC content you'd be able to use
on an Amazon stick would be via apps written specifically for them,
such as the iPlayer app which is designed for video content. Viewing
general web content through a web browser on this device probably
won't work very well, which is probably why Amazon have not hitherto
made one available. The recent addition of two web browsers appears to
be in response to Google's decision to block YouTube from the Amazon
YouTube app, and I've found that these web browsers work very well
with YouTube, which is clearly the primary intention, though it may
not work so well on other material. Maybe you'd also be able to view
general web material on your Fire Stick if you equipped it with a
keyboard and mouse, but this is really what computers are for. TV
streaming boxes are for video.

3. The box version of the Fire TV device is more responsive than the
stick version. I think it has a faster CPU and more memory.

Old December 23rd 17, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 20:34:47 -0000, tim...
wrote:

T...

wrote:

[...]

I though we were discussing firesticks

tim

Old December 23rd 17, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Yellow
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:48:21 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Yellow
wrote:
Youtube is Google, and Google is Android.

and Android is free.

In every sense? e.g. free and open like general linux distros, so
people can bughunt and release alternative versions, people can
scutinise and compare?

I honestly have no idea but whatever, that is not relevant to a
discussion about whether or not youTube being slowed down is to force
people to buy new phone hardware.

Then why would someone think the statement "...and Android is free" is
relevant here in the first place?

However for me the point *might* be that free and open software can be
modified to try and deal with fetching from a provider who wants to
discriminate between choices of device/OS. But if "free" just means you
weren't overtly asked to pay for it, that would not apply. So it depends on
what is meant by "free".

In general TANSTAAFL applies to that limited meaning of "free".