OT Is it me?

Old December 20th 17, 12:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Bartram[_2_]

Default OT Is it me?

On 20/12/2017 08:35, Bill Wright wrote:

The next item is about a fishery owner who has banned Polish anglers.
Nothing is said about why he has felt the need to reduce his customer
base in this way, but there are many insinuations that he is simply racist.

If banning someone based on them being Polish or east European is not
racist, what is?

If he'd simply said he had the right to refuse access without giving a
reason, he'd have got away with it.

Old December 20th 17, 12:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris B[_2_]

On 20/12/2017 09:44, Woody wrote:

My apologies if this is a repeat, but I saw recently that the ASA has
decreed that adverts can no longer show a woman doing household chores
such as cleaning or washing up, and that all families shown (two
parent/two children-type) must either be all black or mixed race with
a black father/white mother, never the other way around. Now I know
about it I spot it every time!

Any idea where you saw this? I was horrified so I thought I would do
some research on the ASA. They have indeed done a study

https://www.asa.org.uk/asset/FA0CDD1...892D70C53C5E7/

and are proposing new rules but one of the Key findings of the report is

It would be inappropriate and unrealistic to prevent ads
from, for instance, depicting a woman cleaning,

but
new standards on gender stereotypes might elaborate
on the types of treatments that might be problematic
— for example:
An ad which depicts family members creating mess
while a woman has sole responsibility for cleaning it up.
An ad that suggests an activity is inappropriate for
a girl because it is stereotypically associated with boys
or vice versa.
An ad that features a man trying and failing to undertake
simple parental or household tasks.

So it looks like someone somewhere is misreporting what the ASA has ruled

I could not find any info about ethnic origin of families.

--
Chris B (News)
Old December 20th 17, 01:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
F[_2_]

On 20/12/2017 09:06, alan_m wrote:
On 20/12/2017 08:35, Bill Wright wrote:
Funny how the BBC missed that.

Don't they miss most of the world news?

when we're travelling we try BBC World News to catch up on events at
home. There's news of practically everywhere but the UK. That's when
there is news. Most of it is magazine style items.

We are more informed if we watch CNN. CNN!!

Old December 20th 17, 02:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
JoeJoe

On 20/12/2017 11:59, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 11:53, Jethro_uk wrote:

Last week for two hours, the BBC News front page managed to have
absolutely nothing whatsoever about Brexit. Nothing. I actually saved the
page*. Not even a link.

I think it has become necessary to use a wide variety of news sources
and apply critical thought to everything. It's terrible that we can't
believe the BBC anymore.

Bill

I agree. But if this is the case then what is the point of the
(allegedly unbiased) BBC news coverage?

There isn't...
Old December 20th 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm not sure I agree with some of what you say there. However there does
seem to be a culture of attempting not to even upset anyone, which in turn
seems to have resulted in everyone being offended by the lack of accuracy
consistency and indeed fairness to public views.
I personally would rather hear that some drongo thinks all blindies who
look OK are not blind as it seems most people do, than have new terns
suggested for us, like differently abled etc, rather than blind as a bat.
There comes a time when people have to learn the world is not equal and no
amount of positive imagery to the contrary will change the real position.
Some people are racist, some are just selfish and many just do not think
before they speak, but I'd rather know that than have veiled mis reporting.

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Afflicted by post-procedure pain I tire of the gradually brightening
ceiling and wearily put the telly on, at 7.50am, seeking diversion. BBC1
has a brown alpha-female (called 'nagger' apparently!) and a subservient
white male wimp. They introduce a silly but seemingly harmless item about
a dog that is pampered excessively. The dog's owners turn out to be two
homosexuals.
The next item is about a fishery owner who has banned Polish anglers.
Nothing is said about why he has felt the need to reduce his customer
base in this way, but there are many insinuations that he is simply
racist.
I go to the bathroom. When I get back the telly is saying that the BBC is
going to reduce Christian programming and increase that of 'other
religions'. I wonder if this means Buddhists and Sikhs will get a look
in.
It's time for the local news. The newsreader is attractive and has a
lovely smile, and is black. There's an interview with a gay man. The
story about the anti-Polish fishery man is featured, despite it being in
Oxfordshire and this programme being Look North from Leeds.
I turn the telly off and play some music. I idly look at the BBC news on
my phone. I read about the recent bad road accident in Birmingham. It
seems that "It is not known what caused the crash", and there are no
details about the 'men' in the car that crossed the central reservation
at 100mph and hit the other vehicle head on. However the innocent victim
in that car is identified as a hard-working Asian with a large family.
Strange that yesterday's papers said that the car that caused the
accident was driven by an Asian drug baron who had recently been released
from prison following a 120mph chase. Funny how the BBC missed that.

We are getting to much the same opinion Bill, whether it is BBC Breakfast
or Sky News - who are forever banging on about single use plastics and the
alleged damage it is doing.

My apologies if this is a repeat, but I saw recently that the ASA has
decreed that adverts can no longer show a woman doing household chores
such as cleaning or washing up, and that all families shown (two
parent/two children-type) must either be all black or mixed race with a
black father/white mother, never the other way around. Now I know about it
I spot it every time!

I saw yesterday that non-indigenous (i.e. white British) peoples account
for only 14% of the UK population but provide well over 40% of those in
jail.

I see this morning that the BBC is to broadcast more religion but it will
be at the expense of Christianity.

Aligned with your comments it does beg the question of what the world and
especially this country is coming to, assisted of course by our dear BBC
and their "Britain only exists within the M25" viewpoint.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 20th 17, 05:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:53:52 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 20/12/2017 09:44, Woody wrote:

Aligned with your comments it does beg the question of what the world
and especially this country is coming to, assisted of course by our
dear BBC and their "Britain only exists within the M25" viewpoint.

What a pity that more people don't realise that much of the broadcast
media is pulling the wool over their eyes. Of course for the young it's
always been the same so they have nothing to compare it with.

Not that I agree with all of your views on the state of the world and
Britain in general, but you only have to keep in mind the adage
(attributed to PT Barnum[1]) that "There's one born every minute." to
properly appreciate what the business of Radio and TV broadcasting is all
about (commercial advertising particularly).

All such "broadcasting to the nation" is propaganda of one sort or
another, even "Pure Entertainment" (and not just that used as "bait" to
hook "The Product" into watching the commercial propaganda of adverts by
the commercial TV channels).

Unless you've got plenty of time to spare on following up claims made by
any of this propaganda (news, advertising etc.), you're left to rely on
your own good sense of cynicism.

Way back in the 70s when the propaganda about the dangers of passive
smoking started to appear on buses, couched in terms of how many double
decker bus's worth were dying from the effects of passive smoking each
year, my question to that statement was, "Oh yes! And, pray tell me, how
many people are dying as a result of the pollution generated by all those
buses?" long before "Particulate Emissions" became a "Thing".

[1] Rightly or wrongly; either a misquote or someone else's quote.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 20th 17, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 20/12/17 11:59, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 11:53, Jethro_uk wrote:

Last week for two hours, the BBC News front page managed to have
absolutely nothing whatsoever about Brexit. Nothing. I actually saved the
page*. Not even a link.

I think it has become necessary to use a wide variety of news sources
and apply critical thought to everything. It's terrible that we can't
believe the BBC anymore.

in 1980 I emigtated to S afroca for three years, where the staggering
propagnada show of the SABC was so obviuous it wasnt ven argued over.

Omn my return in 1983, I realised the BBC was no different, just more
subtle at it.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Old December 20th 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
GB

On 20/12/2017 11:59, Jimbo ... wrote:

straight to hell...no 52 virgins for him ...

I was really, really angry to hear that this was no ordinary accident
but some complete **** racing on the public roads and proving that he
was a crap driver. Sadly, he didn't just remove himself from the gene pool.

I knew somebody who fancied himself as a racing driver. He died on a
race track, proving himself crap at it, but doing so in the right place.
He had an amazing car. A straight six with a separate carb on each
intake - I have no idea how he balanced them. It sounded incredible when
he came out of a corner and opened up the throttle.
Old December 20th 17, 08:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 20/12/2017 09:43, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2017 09:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 12/20/2017 8:39 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:35:08 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

* I idly look at the BBC news on
my phone. I read about the recent bad road accident in Birmingham. It
seems that "It is not known what caused the crash", and there are no
details about the 'men' in the car that crossed the central reservation
at 100mph and hit the other vehicle head on. However the innocent
victim
in that car is identified as a hard-working Asian with a large family.
Strange that yesterday's papers said that the car that caused the
accident was driven by an Asian drug baron who had recently been
released from prison following a 120mph chase. Funny how the BBC missed
that.

Comprehensive coverage on the BBC website.

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-42408477

Late with the truth as usual. But at least they finally reported it.
There's hope yet.

Bill

How late it was reported yesterday.

Old December 20th 17, 10:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Bill Findlay[_3_]

pamela wrote:

I'm all for tolerating minorities and leaving them to do what they
want but I can't see why minority beliefs need to be paraded as
normal.

Being a member of an ethnic or sexual minority is not a belief.
Your idiotic and bigoted ideas are, though.

--
Bill Findlay