Neff Oven

Old December 19th 17, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Neff Oven

My wife has two matching ovens stacked one above t'other.
Last week the upper one went 'bang' and took out the circuit breaker.
Restored, that oven appears dead as the proverbial Dodo.

I checked the 'easy-to-get-to' things from the front but now I have to take
the whole thing out to get to the back.

As it is relatively high off the ground I needed something to perch it on.
I think I have found something.

What is the most likely item to have caused no power to reach the clock etc?

(No, for those celebrating a little early, I don't think it was a turkey
commando).

Old December 19th 17, 07:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Holmes

Perhaps the LNB has died.

Or perhaps it plugs in via a 13A plug, and it’s blown the plug fuse..
Old December 19th 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Pinnerite wrote:

My wife has two matching ovens stacked one above t'other.
Last week the upper one went 'bang' and took out the circuit breaker.
Restored, that oven appears dead as the proverbial Dodo.

I checked the 'easy-to-get-to' things from the front but now I have to take
the whole thing out to get to the back.

As it is relatively high off the ground I needed something to perch it on.
I think I have found something.

What is the most likely item to have caused no power to reach the clock etc?

A fuse, either in the oven itself or whatever it's connected to the
mains by.

And that was probably blown by one of the elements failing.

Did you really mean to post to this newsgroup?

-- Richard
Old December 20th 17, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 20:52:52 UTC, Chris Holmes wrote:
Perhaps the LNB has died.

Ha Ha!

Or perhaps it plugs in via a 13A plug, and it’s blown the plug fuse.

No its MCB has tripped. He does not say whether it will now go back on again.

MCB trip (as opposed to RCD trip) suggests overload by short circuit, which should be fairly easy to find (power off, ohmmeter and nose).

If it is actually an RCD trip then one is looking for leakage to earth - stray loose wire, water in control etc.

Old December 22nd 17, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Pinnerite wrote:

My wife has two matching ovens stacked one above t'other.
Last week the upper one went 'bang' and took out the circuit breaker.
Restored, that oven appears dead as the proverbial Dodo.

I checked the 'easy-to-get-to' things from the front but now I have to
take the whole thing out to get to the back.

As it is relatively high off the ground I needed something to perch it on.
I think I have found something.

What is the most likely item to have caused no power to reach the clock
etc?

(No, for those celebrating a little early, I don't think it was a turkey
commando).

After withdrawing the oven from its housing, I disconnected the power cable
and substituted a separate lead plugged into a regular 13A socket.

The oven operated perfectly.

The problem is therefore in the power supply chain.

i have called in a qualified electrician. I am no longer supple enough to
get down low enough nor have good enough sight to work inside a cupboard at
arms length.

Thanks for the advice. Alan

Old December 30th 17, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

[...]

It was the fused connection box.
It had actually burnt out.
Its 13A fuse didn't blow but but the remote circuit breaker did.

Unusual to say the least.

Old December 30th 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 30 December 2017 18:20:12 UTC, Pinnerite wrote:
Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

[...]

Bit confused here. I presume the oven had its own 20A or 32A [unfused] switch and own circuit back to the consumer unit.

If it went over current it would trip the MCB in the CU.

If the fault remained it should blow a 13A fuse when plugged into a socket.

Old December 30th 17, 09:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Pinnerite wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

[...]

If it went over current it would trip its MCB in the CU.

If the fault remained it should blow a 13A fuse when plugged into a socket.

I [magically sent while still typing!]

If the cause is over-current then usually an MCB will trip long (well tens of mS) before a an in BS 1363 plug fuse.

If there was a short to earth it should trip the RCD in the CU.

You need to find the cause of this before recommissioning the oven.

Old December 31st 17, 10:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

It was the fused connection box.
It had actually burnt out.
Its 13A fuse didn't blow but but the remote circuit breaker did.

If the cause is over-current then usually an MCB will trip long (well
tens of mS) before a an in BS 1363 plug fuse. If there was a short to
earth it should trip the RCD in the CU. You need to find the cause of
this before recommissioning the oven.

Poorly tightened contact causing overheating? Maybe eventually leading
to a short, at which point the MCB tripped? Hopefully the FCU has been
replaced ...