phone scam involving television service

Old December 17th 17, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

Default phone scam involving television service

We get junk calls on our landline every day or so. Mildly annoying but not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them. In the past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or else "BT broadband security" or something computer related. But for the last few weeks most calls have started by saying something like "It's about your television service - you are currently paying N pounds per month for your maintenance...". Since this is completely untrue, I just put down the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is, does anyone know? Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get time over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some malware, that your computer runs Linux. Maybe that I have a 405-line analogue TV?

--
Clive Page
Old December 17th 17, 10:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Clive Page
writes
We get junk calls on our landline every day or so. Mildly annoying but
not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them. In
the past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or
else "BT broadband security" or something computer related. But for
the last few weeks most calls have started by saying something like
"It's about your television service - you are currently paying N pounds
per month for your maintenance...". Since this is completely untrue, I
just put down the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is,
does anyone know? Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get
time over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I've not had any of these calls, but I'd guess that the scam is that
they will offer you "maintenance" for some amount slightly less than N
pounds a month (though still exorbitant). I'd also guess that they'd
want maybe 12 months payment up-front, so that you've handed over a
substantial sum before you realise that you aren't actually getting any
maintenance.

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a
lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some
malware, that your computer runs Linux. Maybe that I have a 405-line
analogue TV?

I'm not sure that would be very plausible. You could say that you don't
have a TV at all - I know that some people don't.
--
John Hall "George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.
Old December 17th 17, 10:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 17/12/2017 10:59, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

If 1471 reveals a number, spoofed or otherwise, from which they are
calling, put it into Google and you'll almost certainly be able to find
out what the scam is.

If you're on BT, sign up to their free Call Protect 1572 service and set
the rules to eliminate the calls you don't want. Works for me.
Old December 17th 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 17/12/2017 10:59, Clive Page wrote:

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a
lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some
malware, that your computer runs Linux.

I tried that with someone "representing Microsoft".
His script was up to that sneaky trick. He tried to get me to install
Teamviewer. I pretended to type what he told me, and then lied that
when I tried to install it it was asking for the administrator's
password and I had no idea what it is because I am only a user and my
father-in-law had set the laptop up for me and he isn't here at the
moment. He gave up at that point, leaving me and my Windows PC :-) alone.

Maybe that I have a 405-line analogue TV?

That might warn someone who knows that 405 lines are obsolete.
Try telling whoever rings that you are still using the little box that
came with the digital switch-over and the SCART lead into the back of
your CRT television. "It still works so why replace it" ;-)

Old December 17th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/12/2017 10:59, Clive Page wrote:

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a
lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some
malware, that your computer runs Linux.

I tried that with someone "representing Microsoft".
His script was up to that sneaky trick. He tried to get me to install
Teamviewer. I pretended to type what he told me, and then lied that
when I tried to install it it was asking for the administrator's
password and I had no idea what it is because I am only a user and my
father-in-law had set the laptop up for me and he isn't here at the
moment. He gave up at that point, leaving me and my Windows PC :-) alone.

I offer RISC OS - they've never head of it

I also get told my boiler insurance is about to expire.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 17th 17, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:25:43 +0000, John Hall
wrote:

[...]

I've just seen one described in our local paper - nothing to do with
TV, but requiring a similar level of gullibility I would have thought.
The scamsters put a note through letterboxes saying they're
investigating a recent spate of counterfeit banknotes issued from
ATMs, and the householder is invited to help by withdrawing some notes
from their ATM and sending them to the enclosed address "for
analysis". I'm amazed anyone could fall for this but presumably some
people must have, otherwise it wouldn't be a news item.

Old December 17th 17, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
[...]

I think that's optimistic

rarely works for me

tim

Old December 17th 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:54:07 +0000 (GMT), charles

Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/12/2017 10:59, Clive Page wrote:

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a
lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some
malware, that your computer runs Linux.

I tried that with someone "representing Microsoft".
His script was up to that sneaky trick. He tried to get me to install
Teamviewer. I pretended to type what he told me, and then lied that
when I tried to install it it was asking for the administrator's
password and I had no idea what it is because I am only a user and my
father-in-law had set the laptop up for me and he isn't here at the
moment. He gave up at that point, leaving me and my Windows PC :-) alone.

I offer RISC OS - they've never head of it

I also get told my boiler insurance is about to expire.

I got a double glazing call asking when my windows were replaced.
After about five minutes of going on about Windows 7 and Windows 10
and the 'windows in your house' being the home computer and not the
work computer and I understand what Windows means as the predominant
operating system etc she eventually hung up.
Old December 17th 17, 08:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 17/12/2017 16:25, Scott wrote:
I got a double glazing call asking when my windows were replaced.
After about five minutes of going on about Windows 7 and Windows 10
and the 'windows in your house' being the home computer and not the
work computer and I understand what Windows means as the predominant
operating system etc she eventually hung up.

We got one trying to sell us solar panels for our roof. It took about 5
minutes for my wife to get her to listen to "But ours is thatched. And
Listed."

At least _they_ haven't called back.

Unlike the boiler ones. They call once a week or so, a robot, press 9 to
be removed or 5 to be called back. Tried 5 once. They got really upset
when SWMBO started asking for company addresses and such... but still
they call.

Andy
Old December 18th 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Norman Wells wrote:

If you're on BT, sign up to their free Call Protect 1572 service and set
the rules to eliminate the calls you don't want. Works for me.

I am tempted to do so myself, but have a few quibbles.

Does my voicemail then fill up with empty messages, or only store
actual speech?

Is there a charge to listen to messages?

Once upon a time (when one picked up the handset in one hand to
listen to the dial tone before dialling with the other) having
messages signalled by the interrupted dial tone might have been
noticed.

These days I seldom use a phone, and certainly don't hear a dial
tone, because the handset is in my hand whilst pushing the
buttons on it. I guess I would have to develop a habit of
checking it periodically.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK