phone scam involving television service

Old December 18th 17, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default phone scam involving television service

Could it be insurance?
I used to regularly get one asking me if I had considered taking out
cheaper pet insurance. Now as I have no pet.....

"Clive Page" wrote in message
We get junk calls on our landline every day or so. Mildly annoying but
not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them. In the
past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or else
"BT broadband security" or something computer related. But for the last
few weeks most calls have started by saying something like "It's about
your television service - you are currently paying N pounds per month for
your maintenance...". Since this is completely untrue, I just put down
the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is,
does anyone know? Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get time
over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a lot
of time trying to guide you through the installation of some malware, that
your computer runs Linux. Maybe that I have a 405-line analogue TV?

--
Clive Page

Old December 18th 17, 01:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Monday, 18 December 2017 09:58:19 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I used to regularly get one asking me if I had considered taking out
cheaper pet insurance. Now as I have no pet.....

would you like some cold calls from Cats Protection or Dogs Trust asking you if you'd like a pet?

Owain

Old December 18th 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 18/12/2017 09:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
Could it be insurance?
I used to regularly get one asking me if I had considered taking out
cheaper pet insurance. Now as I have no pet.....
Brian

Yes I'd love too. I can't get insurance at all.
What pets do you have?
I have a pair of panthera leo.
Sorry I can't find that on my list.
Surely you can! Lots of people have them. They're adorable!

(drag it out as long as you can)

Old December 19th 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:34:56 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Could it be insurance?
I used to regularly get one asking me if I had considered taking out
cheaper pet insurance. Now as I have no pet.....
Brian

Yes I'd love too. I can't get insurance at all.
What pets do you have?
I have a pair of panthera leo.
Sorry I can't find that on my list.
Surely you can! Lots of people have them. They're adorable!

(drag it out as long as you can)

"The talking parrot died, so I got a slug...."