RFID wallets

Old December 14th 17, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

Default RFID wallets

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:12:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:19:25 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I have looked at some of these wallets, but I'm seriously thinking that
asking for a non contactless card might be a good idea

I have just asked my bank if I can have a non-contactless card and
they said no.
- Mike

I have now telephoned my bank and they are sending me a new debit card
without the contactless function. My previous question to them was via
the message service on their on-line banking.

It would seem that other banks have a similar strategy; They will only
give you a non-contactless card if you telephone them.
- Mike
Old December 14th 17, 01:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Mike wrote:

They will only give you a non-contactless card if you telephone them.

You've got to prove you are a Luddite :-P
Old December 14th 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:52:27 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mike wrote:

They will only give you a non-contactless card if you telephone them.

You've got to prove you are a Luddite :-P

Well maybe I am a bit, but my attitude to protecting my personal data
changed after I experienced identity theft when my credit card data
was stolen at a petrol station. It took months to resolve, thousands
of pounds were stolen, but we got it all back from the bank in the
end. Consequently, I am much more careful these days
- Mike
Old December 15th 17, 08:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 16:45:42 +0000, Mike wrote:

They will only give you a non-contactless card if you telephone them.

You've got to prove you are a Luddite :-P

Well maybe I am a bit, but my attitude to protecting my personal data
changed after I experienced identity theft when my credit card data
was stolen at a petrol station. It took months to resolve, thousands
of pounds were stolen, but we got it all back from the bank in the
end. Consequently, I am much more careful these days

I've never let any of my bank cards out of my physical possession, and
yet I once had about 500gbp spent on my credit card in a town I've
never been to. How's that for "contactless"?

Luckily I spotted the anomaly in my account statement and the bank
were very helpful in sorting it out, and I was eventually refunded.

I've no idea how my card had been compromised, but if you're worried
about RF access to its data, wallets with RF shielding are available.

Old December 15th 17, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I've no idea how my card had been compromised, but if you're worried
about RF access to its data, wallets with RF shielding are available.

FWIW I haven't found any independent measurements of their ability to
reject interrogration. Nor of the use of 'tinfoil'. Can anyone point to
some reliable results?

Old December 15th 17, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 16:45:42 +0000, Mike wrote:

They will only give you a non-contactless card if you telephone them.

You've got to prove you are a Luddite :-P

Well maybe I am a bit, but my attitude to protecting my personal data
changed after I experienced identity theft when my credit card data
was stolen at a petrol station. It took months to resolve, thousands
of pounds were stolen, but we got it all back from the bank in the
end. Consequently, I am much more careful these days

I've never let any of my bank cards out of my physical possession, and
yet I once had about 500gbp spent on my credit card in a town I've
never been to. How's that for "contactless"?

I had this happen before "contactless". It could only have been fraud
within the bank's own system, since the card was brand new and I'd only
used it once - to withdraw cash - at an indoor machine in a branch of the
ban.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England